Is my mobo or CPU the problem here?

altez

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello, this is the second time I have setup a computer. The problem I'm having is that everything turns on for maybe half a second. The cpu fans, case fans, video card fans, as well as their respective lights. But it's only for possibly half a second.

I removed everything but the processor, power supply, and 1 stick of ram. I attempted to boot and there was still no go. There is a jumper switch to reset all the data on my mobo to default and I have done it. Mind you this system has yet to see any post. I also get no sounds or error beeps when it tries to boot.

Just maybe half a second of lights and it's off again. Can anyone help?

Edit - Added components.

Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX <- works in my old computer that I switched it from the very same day. It also worked when I switched it back.

altez

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I've gone through the list with no luck. Afterwards I decided to drive up to my local computer store and they also checked out my power supply. The voltages and all of the readings were correct. I then asked him about the fact that my processor had a few slightly bent pins. If this would change anything. He said he'd seen processors with numerous pins bent in several directions and they still functioned.

On a side note, it almost seems like the 8-pin plug is not getting any power given to it. When the power supply is installed to it that is. Is there a chance my mobo was DOA? Apparently with my model it was rather common, or at least according to those ordering it on newegg.