Sign in with
Your question

Fixed v. Offset among other things intel 2500k OC

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 9:20:53 PM

I recently started looking into overclocking and have been trying to gain a more in depth grasp on things. I watched a video from TTL and was attempting to follow the basics that he had gone through. I was using a collaboration of cpu-z and OCCT. I was adjusting the vcore around I ended up 1.90v with a 4.4 ghz overclock under fixed. However, I noticed that with fixed I no longer had the scaling back when in idle and from what I recall its not always the best idea for CPU's frequencies to be set to max all the time.

So my question/s are.

Fixed v. Offset: Do I just change the multiplier with this setting or do I mess with the voltages as well.

Is my testing okay. I do a 30 minute run of OCCT with CPU-Z in the background.

Also, I had my cooler set to its lowest setting with cougar pwn fans attached to the radiator and I was getting at most 75 degrees if I moved to the speed up do you think I would have much headroom by changing the speed to the 2nd or 3rd option (for example to 4.5 under something like 1.3v)

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2 ghz
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
Gigabyte Geforce GTX670oc Windforce3
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD (scratch drive)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA III
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
ASUS XONAR DX
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 9:37:06 PM

As far as I know (I haven't worked with the z68 platform that much) you wouldn't/shouldn't have to mess with voltages if you just wanna fix your speedstep (did I understand you right? is that what you're after?)

And yes, logically if you increase the fan speed on your cooler you decrease the load temps in turn increasing your headroom a bit. I don't know by how much but a few degrees are expectable...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 9:52:26 PM

Was just trying to figure out where my stable cpu frequency would be at I don't really want to be anything much higher then 4.5 ghz and I also don't want temps over 80 C for any reason.

And I believe so yes to your first response i would like the ability for my cpu to throttle back to a lower cpu frequency and then when it came time to load something intensive for it to ramp up to a overclocked frequency with a non over the top voltage I'd hope.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:17:26 PM

ok, I see. Now that you got your stable clocks you shouldn't have to change any of the voltage settings to anything... Just make sure you have speedstep enabled and you set your offset to correct value and you should be golden ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:34:03 PM

I need to check if I have it enabled or not I think I do but I'm unsure I do recall disabling quite a few things was following a guide.
I mean in all honesty I'm just fine with a 4.2ghz overclock mainly because I really enjoy a super silent system which is why I'm kind of looking towards the Fractal Design Define R4 even though I know I will take a hit temperature wise because of the sound padding.

Also, is it just as simple as that just adjusting the frequency and stress testing. I just feel a bit more lost in the offset mode because I'm not sure what voltage changes to make within offset where as with fixed I do.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:46:23 PM

hmm I myself don't know too much about the whole offset thing...

As far as I can tell the offset setting is a setting to fine tun an offset to the load line calibration. If load line calibration adds to much voltage on load or if its a tab below what it should be the offset settings is used to correct it to the right vcore. Load line calibration and voltage offset are both countermeasures against vdroop in. You most likely don't even have to touch it.

To make sure your speedstep is working check cpuz when idling you should have your frequency lowered and when loading you cpu with work it should jucp back up to your overclock.
m
l
!