Safe Temperature for AMD 8120

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:17:52 PM

I just spent the afternoon overclocking my new 8120 (computer is about 4 months old). After playing around in AMD OverDrive, I got the Turbo Core to run smoothly at 4.5 Ghz. However, the temperatures did break 50C, but never got above 60. Is this a safe operating temperature for the CPU? I used TurboCore and it stays around 3.3 Ghz idle at 30C. After 3 hours of ray-traced rendering, it was staying at 55C. My power is handling nicely as well. I'm mainly worried about the temperature, as I couldn't find anything on this particular processor.

More about : safe temperature amd 8120

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:28:16 PM

amd officially states that the max temperature for all eight cores on that processor is 61C... 70C if you're using less cores. I'd say your fine as long as you don't go over 58C, ofcourse lower temps would be nicer... but you should still be fine.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:28:51 PM

Have you stress tested using OCCT and made sure it'll stay under 60c for extended periods of 100% use? If so, you're fine. The specified maximum by AMD is 62c for the FX-8xxx chips, same as it was for the Phenom II processors. I've accidentally exceeded that for a brief moment or two a few times and gotten lucky. Anything south of 55c under a stress test like OCCT and you're okay. In general though, AMD overdrive and other software overclocking is always less efficient than BIOS overclocking- it gives itself extra wiggle-room for stability by giving a bit more voltage (thus heat) than it likely needs.
Related resources
February 27, 2013 10:32:44 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
Have you stress tested using OCCT and made sure it'll stay under 60c for extended periods of 100% use? If so, you're fine. The specified maximum by AMD is 62c for the FX-8xxx chips, same as it was for the Phenom II processors. I've accidentally exceeded that for a brief moment or two a few times and gotten lucky. Anything south of 55c under a stress test like OCCT and you're okay. In general though, AMD overdrive and other software overclocking is always less efficient than BIOS overclocking- it gives itself extra wiggle-room for stability by giving a bit more voltage (thus heat) than it likely needs.

Yeah, thanks for the posted maximum. I cranked up ray tracing in my 3D suite and rendered it for about 3 hours and it never once got below 100%. 56C was the maximum I saw in the logs. Since I need the extra stability though, I'm probably going to lower it to 4.3 Ghz. And I used the TurboCore because I couldn't find the Turbo Speed in my BIOS, and I don't need the processor to run at 4.5 Ghz all the time :p 

Thanks for the help guys.
Score
February 27, 2013 10:32:49 PM

Best answer selected by QuantumCD.
Score
!