Sign in with
Your question

I3 330 M vs. AMD Phenom 9750 Quad

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 19, 2010 1:34:19 AM

I am selling my desktop and getting a laptop, I've been looking at the i3 laptops, and I was wondering how the performance of the i3 330M will compare to my desktop's AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750. I looked at a benchmark table:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

And it showed the 330M to have a score of 2,000 (what does this number mean? GHz? It's supposed to be 2.13GHz, so I'm not sure. And I don't know if this takes into account the cores, I just don't know...noob here.) My desktop's 9750 scored at 2755, which is substantially higher (I'm assuming)...anyway, my question is what the realistic difference in operating speed (opening apps, multitasking, etc.) will be between the laptops 330M and my desktop. I'm hoping that i3's hyperthreading and new amazingness will make up for the lag in GHz rating (if that's what those numbers mean)...can anyone help shed some light on this for me? I'd really appreciate it!

More about : 330 amd phenom 9750 quad

a b à CPUs
June 19, 2010 3:55:19 AM

Quote:
I am selling my desktop and getting a laptop, I've been looking at the i3 laptops, and I was wondering how the performance of the i3 330M will compare to my desktop's AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750. I looked at a benchmark table:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

And it showed the 330M to have a score of 2,000 (what does this number mean? GHz? It's supposed to be 2.13GHz, so I'm not sure. And I don't know if this takes into account the cores, I just don't know...noob here.) My desktop's 9750 scored at 2755, which is substantially higher (I'm assuming)...anyway, my question is what the realistic difference in operating speed (opening apps, multitasking, etc.) will be between the laptops 330M and my desktop. I'm hoping that i3's hyperthreading and new amazingness will make up for the lag in GHz rating (if that's what those numbers mean)...can anyone help shed some light on this for me? I'd really appreciate it!

Its just an arbitrary measure of speed. Higher is faster.

The Desktop in general will almost always be faster than the laptop. Lappys are power savers, not speed demons.

And yes, the 9750 really is faster than the 330m. Newer isn't always faster. Not worlds faster, but faster.
m
l
!