Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Copying 1 TB from external to external HD.

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 15, 2012 2:02:32 AM

I'm trying to copy 1 TB from an old WD External HD to my new WD Ext HD. The new one supports USB 3.0 but the old one doesn't.

First off, will upgrading to USB 3.0 even speed this up since my old HD only supports USB 2.0?

Or is there is an alternate better solution than upgrading to 3.0? I don't know if the HDs are eSATA or firewire compatible...one has a USB mini port and the other has USB SS.

I have an Inspiron 530 desktop (not the slim one) and an Inspiron 1525 laptop. Running Windows 7, 32 bit. I upgraded the PSU to a 600W Antec. (Are my mobo's even USB 3.0 compatible?) I DL'd Teracopy as well.

Any help would be much appreciated. I saw this card for only $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U9Y2TG?t=slickdeal...

Best solution

a c 95 G Storage
May 15, 2012 3:49:41 AM

Quote:
First off, will upgrading to USB 3.0 even speed this up since my old HD only supports USB 2.0?


No


Quote:
Any help would be much appreciated. I saw this card for only $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U9Y2TG?t=slickdeal...


this should help in the future but not for the current coping project
Share
May 15, 2012 3:59:51 AM

You could rip the HDD out of the 2.0 enclosure and then install it internally to the USB 3.0 capable machine. Then copy from SATA to USB3. That would be faster.
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 15, 2012 4:25:52 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
no offense but by the time you ingeniously figure out a way to cut a few minutes off the time, you could have plugged in both drives and had everything copied.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 15, 2012 11:40:58 AM

endershadow said:
I'm trying to copy 1 TB from an old WD External HD to my new WD Ext HD. The new one supports USB 3.0 but the old one doesn't.

First off, will upgrading to USB 3.0 even speed this up since my old HD only supports USB 2.0?

Or is there is an alternate better solution than upgrading to 3.0? I don't know if the HDs are eSATA or firewire compatible...one has a USB mini port and the other has USB SS.

I have an Inspiron 530 desktop (not the slim one) and an Inspiron 1525 laptop. Running Windows 7, 32 bit. I upgraded the PSU to a 600W Antec. (Are my mobo's even USB 3.0 compatible?) I DL'd Teracopy as well.

Any help would be much appreciated. I saw this card for only $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U9Y2TG?t=slickdeal...

Did you mean you want to clone the data on your old hdd to your new HDD?If that I think this article will give you some help "clone old hard drive to a new one in Windows 7"
m
0
l
May 15, 2012 12:02:30 PM

Anonymous said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
no offense but by the time you ingeniously figure out a way to cut a few minutes off the time, you could have plugged in both drives and had everything copied.


Good POV :lol: 
m
0
l
May 15, 2012 8:00:56 PM

quesionboy said:
Did you mean you want to clone the data on your old hdd to your new HDD?If that I think this article will give you some help "clone old hard drive to a new one in Windows 7"


Thanks for all the replies people. Oh boy, not looking forward to this. I'm just paranoid I'll check back after 24 hours of copying and something will go wrong or both HD's will explode.

Is cloning faster than using TeraCopy? Yes I should probably just get it over with, just wanted to make sure I couldn't make this easier somehow...

Sounds like having a USB 2.0 external HD is my real problem and upgrading my comp to 3.0 is the long-term solution.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 15, 2012 8:08:57 PM

i can understand your concern. honestly windows can handle the I/O of a large move like this. it won't slow down your system since both are usb devices and not sata.

though i suspect it could take 6+ hours. just start before going to sleep and when you wake up it will be finished.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 15, 2012 8:59:57 PM

I suggest using ROBOCOPY if you plan on copying that much data.
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 5:30:50 PM

Best answer selected by endershadow.
m
0
l
!