Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot. Can't find beep code?

Last response: in Components
June 19, 2010 2:44:20 AM

Hi, i have a hp pavillion a6300fwith a foxconn mcp73m02h1 motherboard in it. I has a Phoenix BIOS. Here's what happened. I was browsing the web when the computer suddenly froze. I didn't think it was a huge deal so i switched it off and restarted it. Now During POST it will beep for around 5 seconds then pause then beep for another 5 seconds or so, and continue. It doesn't stop doing this until I turn it off. I can't find this beep code anywhere on the internet. I tried taking everything out and re-seating it. I put it a new power supply which didn't help. Tried one stick of RAM at a time. Nothing works. It has to be either the processor or the motherboard, but I don't have anything to test them with and I can't figure out what POST is trying to tell me. So does this mean I have a bad CPU or mobo?

thanks
June 19, 2010 9:32:56 PM

With some bios continuous long beeps equals Graphics card.
continuous short beeps equals power error.
Related resources
September 18, 2012 12:04:57 AM

I have a motherboard with the EXACT same issue. Unfortunately there is NO info anywhere online about a 5 second continuous beep. I replaced everything and even had a similar CPU that I was able to trade out to test. All components worked. It's the Motherboard itself, by process of elimination.

Sorry no better news.

greentea5425 said:
Hi, i have a hp pavillion a6300fwith a foxconn mcp73m02h1 motherboard in it. I has a Phoenix BIOS. Here's what happened. I was browsing the web when the computer suddenly froze. I didn't think it was a huge deal so i switched it off and restarted it. Now During POST it will beep for around 5 seconds then pause then beep for another 5 seconds or so, and continue. It doesn't stop doing this until I turn it off. I can't find this beep code anywhere on the internet. I tried taking everything out and re-seating it. I put it a new power supply which didn't help. Tried one stick of RAM at a time. Nothing works. It has to be either the processor or the motherboard, but I don't have anything to test them with and I can't figure out what POST is trying to tell me. So does this mean I have a bad CPU or mobo?

thanks

September 18, 2012 12:08:54 AM

This thread is from two years ago...
!