Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How cool will it be?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2013 2:55:15 AM

Dual 480 rads in Corsair Obsidian 900D water cooling 3930k and SLI GTX Titan?
How cool will it be at stock?

More about : cool

a c 176 K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 2:57:59 AM

We cant tell you that, its difficult enough to guess when we actually have specific information (the blocks, pump, radiator, fans being used, ambient temperature, overclocks) and context (load or at idle?).
At a guess,10°C above ambient at idle. Load will come down to your blocks.
Score

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 12:35:14 PM

Manofchalk is correct, here...we simply do not know (esp with Titan being brand new) but for a stock-speed 3930k, you are likely looking at pretty good idle/load temps. My experience in watercooling GPUs (been WC for 10 years, GPUs since the days of Radeon 8500) is that video cards LOVE watercooling as their load temps can easily drop 20-40C, depending on card, ambient and specific loop components. While a GPU is rated to perform at full speed up to 100C+, it's excellent to see a fully loaded GPU running at 38C. :) 

I expect nothing less from Titan as any GPU and TDP can be tamed if you have the right amount of radiator space, pump flow and loop setup. Dual 480's should give you much more headroom than you need to cool CPU+ SLI Titans...so if you haven't bought radiators yet, you might want to calculate what you need unless you are OK with over-radding that much (which is what most people do, anyway).
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 1:02:02 PM

Titan and SLI:

1) Titan is specifically designed as a blower-style to exhaust air efficiently out the rear exhaust and it runs relatively quiet. There's almost NO overclocking allowed so I'd just use the stock design.

2) 2xSLI will cause much micro-stuttering. If you absolutely need MORE than a single Titan can provide (triple-monitor or demanding game in 3D) the optimal solution is 3xTitan which is obviously expensive.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

*micro-stuttering (applies to 2xSLI or 2xCrossfire mainly):
" For example, the GTX 690 exhibits many of the issues normally associated with dual GPU cards like minor stuttering and outright frame hesitation, a situation the TITAN deftly avoids by virtue of being a single core solution"

If you've got money to burn, get an EVGA Hydro version or three.
Score
February 28, 2013 4:13:20 PM

Best answer selected by drknyght.
Score
February 28, 2013 4:14:08 PM

Just a note the SLI GTX Titans would be Hydro copper.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 4:45:05 PM

And of course ambient temperatures play a large part in deciding your overall temps
Moto
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 6:25:45 PM

I've never had an issue with micro stuttering and I've used SLI for several years. My understanding this was more an ATI/AMD issue than nVidia, but my experience...I haven't had that problem (to my knowledge).
Score
February 28, 2013 6:41:42 PM

photonboy said:
Titan and SLI:

1) Titan is specifically designed as a blower-style to exhaust air efficiently out the rear exhaust and it runs relatively quiet. There's almost NO overclocking allowed so I'd just use the stock design.

Almost no overclocking allowed? There are factory overclocked TITANs coming out with decent overclocks.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 6:50:08 PM

Factory overclocks are due to higher binned components, but typically aren't that aggressive compared to reference cards.
Score
!