Sign in with
Your question

Cd/dvd not found

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2010 6:39:14 PM

I just upgaded my cpu from a (AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ 2.1GHz 65W AM2 socket dual core cpu) to a (AMD Phenom II 905e 2.5GHz 65W AM3 socket quad core cpu) I'm a multi tasker, not a gamer. My motherboard will support up to 65W on the AM3 socket. Anyway, after installing my cpu, my cd/dvd drivers are not found. Not detected in Bios, not listed in device manager, they're not to be found anywhere! I changed my IDE cable, made sure that the connectors are seated /oriented properly. I made sure that my jumpers are set to cable/slave. I went into "regedit" and deleted the upper class filter, there was no lower class filter to delete. I also went into "system tools/system info/software environment" I found that my cd/dvd file system reader "cdfs" is disabled, but running, status is "ok" I don't know if this is the problem, and I don't know how to enable it if it is the problem. IDE status: controlers/channels all "ok" Power to the cd/dvd devices are good, the trays open/close. All my peripheral devices are functioning properly, and I have a Sony cd/dvd pnp to usb port that is functioning properly. All my cards are functioning properly{graphics,sound,HDTV) I'm pretty sure my problem is software which is my weak point in electronics, I'm not a computer guy, but I am a certified electronic tech in the sat comm field, so I'm not completely ignorent. I do feel pretty stupid right now though!!!!! If anyone could enlighten me, I would sure appreciate it!

More about : dvd found

a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 12:59:24 AM

DID YOU FLASH ?
m
l
April 10, 2010 2:31:27 AM

What is that, and how do I do that?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 3:00:42 AM

The exact model # of your motherboard, please ?

= Al =
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:27:59 AM

MSI K9N6PGM2-V (ms-7309)
m
l
April 10, 2010 5:34:45 AM

I went online and flashed my bios to a much newer version, but unfortunately I didn't get the cd/dvd rw devies to be detected, so I'm still seeking answers.Thank you for the info on the update anyway,I'm sure that it was needed. :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 9:11:12 AM

Glad it went well ...

... That means we need to do a little delving into the controller configs in your mobo manual.
... getting pretty tired tonite but we'll get after it pretty quick.

= yawwwn = :sleep: 

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 9:15:17 AM

We need to see if we can get bios setup to sense the drives and to "SAVE & EXIT" the bios with the proper sensed devices and boot order ...

** ! ** ... There should also be a "chipset drivers" update ... at the product site.

= Al =
m
l
April 10, 2010 5:36:25 PM

Aloha Alvin;

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!
I went online to check fora chipset update,butI'm having trouble finding the right one.
my motherboard is a MSI K9N6PGM2-V (ms-7309)
Chipset: mcp61(p/s/v) I'm not sure of wich letter it is
socket: AM2/(AM2+ TO 95W) and supports AM3 up to 65W (MAX) my new cpu is a AM3 65w CPU
Ifyouneed any more info please ask,thanx.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2010 7:34:28 PM

You said, "I made sure that my jumpers are set to cable/slave." Maybe that was a mis-type, but if not, it IS an error. On an IDE channel there MUST be one Master, and there MAY be a Slave. The most common way to achieve this is to set jumpers on each device for those roles. Do not forget, Master and Slave are pertinent to ONE channel and shared cable. If you have a second IDE port on the mobo, it needs its own Master and may have its own Slave, too. Once you set the jumpers, it is recommended that you plug the END of the ribbon cable into the Master unit, and the middle connector goes to the Slave if you have one.

The alternative is to set BOTH of your units to "CS" for Cable Select. THEN whichever device you connect to the END of the cable WILL be the Master; a device on the middle will be the Slave. (Hence, you cannot set to CS and then connect only to the middle connector.) But your statement says you have ONE device on "cable" (does that mean CS?), and the other on Slave. You CANNOT mix the systems. What you write indicates there may be no Master. Fix that. Use either one Master and one Slave, OR use CS on both.

In all this I assumed that you have two optical drives (one CD, one DVD) sharing one mobo IDE port and ribbon cable. If that's wrong - if you have each device as the only one on a cable / port - then you need to set the devices both to be Masters of their ports.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 12:09:42 AM

dbills001 said:
Aloha Alvin;

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it!
I went online to check fora chipset update,butI'm having trouble finding the right one.
my motherboard is a MSI K9N6PGM2-V (ms-7309)
Chipset: mcp61(p/s/v) I'm not sure of wich letter it is
socket: AM2/(AM2+ TO 95W) and supports AM3 up to 65W (MAX) my new cpu is a AM3 65w CPU
Ifyouneed any more info please ask,thanx.

Sorry,

The history of AMD sockets and chipsets is definately not my strongest subject ...

I am hoping one of these fine AMD veterans can get you properly updated as I could prolly figure it out but not with utmost confidence. (actually, an understatement) :D 

= Alvin=
m
l
April 11, 2010 10:56:35 PM

Yes, I have 2 devices connected to the mobo's single IDE port. The configuration from the manufacturer was cs/slave. My cd/dvd player set to cs, and my cd player set to slave.This config. worked fine with the old cpu. Of course I did try switching to master/slave config. with no positive results. Currently Windows keeps asking for my product key, and will not accept the key I'm using now. It says"product key already being used by another computer" I'm still using my old hard drive, shouldn't windows be seeing this computer as the one using the product key that came with the computer? or does changing my cpu change the computers ID? Would this be causing my undetected problem?
m
l
April 11, 2010 10:59:01 PM

Yes, I have 2 devices connected to the mobo's single IDE port. The configuration from the manufacturer was cs/slave. My cd/dvd player set to cs, and my cd player set to slave.This config. worked fine with the old cpu. Of course I did try switching to master/slave config. with no positive results. Currently Windows keeps asking for my product key, and will not accept the key I'm using now. It says"product key already being used by another computer" I'm still using my old hard drive, shouldn't windows be seeing this computer as the one using the product key that came with the computer? or does changing my cpu change the computers ID? Would this be causing my undetected problem?

Paperdoc said:
You said, "I made sure that my jumpers are set to cable/slave." Maybe that was a mis-type, but if not, it IS an error. On an IDE channel there MUST be one Master, and there MAY be a Slave. The most common way to achieve this is to set jumpers on each device for those roles. Do not forget, Master and Slave are pertinent to ONE channel and shared cable. If you have a second IDE port on the mobo, it needs its own Master and may have its own Slave, too. Once you set the jumpers, it is recommended that you plug the END of the ribbon cable into the Master unit, and the middle connector goes to the Slave if you have one.

The alternative is to set BOTH of your units to "CS" for Cable Select. THEN whichever device you connect to the END of the cable WILL be the Master; a device on the middle will be the Slave. (Hence, you cannot set to CS and then connect only to the middle connector.) But your statement says you have ONE device on "cable" (does that mean CS?), and the other on Slave. You CANNOT mix the systems. What you write indicates there may be no Master. Fix that. Use either one Master and one Slave, OR use CS on both.

In all this I assumed that you have two optical drives (one CD, one DVD) sharing one mobo IDE port and ribbon cable. If that's wrong - if you have each device as the only one on a cable / port - then you need to set the devices both to be Masters of their ports.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2010 12:35:10 AM

Changing the CPU is enough of a change sometimes for Windows to believe it has been migrated to a different computer. For this you need to call Microsoft Tech Support and explain what changes you made so they are convinced that this really is the same machine and should continue to use the same licensed Windows.

After that, you could try a Repair Install. You must run this from the Install CD or like disk that came with your machine. You boot from it like you're going to Install, but instead you choose the Repair Install option. This process surveys the hardware present and the drivers already installed, and fixes up any mismatches. There could be something odd about the CPU change and its driver that is causing a problem with the optical drives, although I don't really understand how.
m
l
April 12, 2010 12:55:42 AM

Why would windows keep trying to get me to re-install my OS; Then tell me my product key is being use on another computer? I did boot from my disc and did a repair install, but it would only repair problems with the start up, not the drivers. I dont have any start up problems so it just offered me the other options(clean install,diognostic,start up repair,etc) nothing that would help to repair my drivers!!!!!!
m
l
!