Video Cards and Overclocking....

G

I'm interested in OC'ing my CPU and memory. However at the moment I'm running a low profile VGA card. In several weeks i'm going Tri-SLI Nvidia 480's.

My question is, should I still try to overclock now? Will I have to make adjustments to my OC config after I install the real video cards? I didn't know if I screwed stuff up with voltage and stuff, thus making me start from scratch again.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
You can overclock now. The only reason you would have to change anything later is if your power supply can't handle that on top of everything you're going to add. This... is likely.

G

Ok cool... I planned ahead and I'm already using a 2kw psu so I (hopefully) should be all set.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Me neither... I've seen 1200W, 1250W, and even a 1500W or two, but I've never seen a 2000W.

You should be fine OC'ing the CPU and memory now. The video shouldn't be affected so long as you stay away from adjustments to the PCIe clock.

newegg had a 2kw PSU for a while (outside of case unit, sits on floor) and has 2 outlet ports

though keep in mind for that much power the standard 15A house line, you would need either to hook it up to 2 different circuits in the house or have a 20A line in the house

I'd say that's excessive, but of course if you're wanting to get 3 GTX 480s you probably don't care ^_^. I kind of am interested in seeing just how much power 3-GTX480s will draw under load, but I think we'll have to wait a while on that one. I don't think any reviewer will be sent 3 of those monsters, unless of course they are expected to write a favorable, very favorable, review. It's not like any reviewers do that ;)

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
well isn't the TDP supposedly 295W? Just giving you an approximation that's about 900w just for the cards, then you have the rest of the system. 1500W PSU minimum i'd guess. I don't think it's worth the power consumption honestly...