New pc - problems on first boot - Asus P6X58D and Intel i7 930

G

Hi,

I bought a new pc a few days ago, these are the specs:

- Antec Midi Tower Three Hundred No PSU
- Liteon DVD-burner SATA
- Asus P6X58D Premium iX58
- Asus PCI-e Radeon HD5770 Cucore 1GB DDR5
- Cosair 2x2GB DDR3 PC10666 CL6.0 Value (1333 MHz)
- Intel Core i7 930 2.80 Ghz 4.8GT/s 9 MB Box
- Thermaltake Purepower TR2 500 W
- 2X harddrive SATA (250 GB and 150 GB)

I installed everything as the manuals described, and this went easy as i put together my previous pc too.

Now, everything was put together and connected, i press the power-on button on the case, and the CPU-fan, PSU-fan and GFX-fan all spin for like 0.5 seconds and then everything stops. The lights on the motherboard are on (power-on switch and reset-switch), the Memtest LED isn't burning.

Now i pushed the power button again, and now absolutly nothing happens ( the lights are still burning tho).
I switched off the PSU, waited 30 sec, tried again, and everything tried to power up for like 0.5 seconds again.

My PSU is made for ATX 12V v2.0, but it only has 4 pins, while the motherboard has 8 pins, could this be the problem?

I also removed my harddrives, dvd-rom, and tested, still the same (0.5 seconds and stop).
Then i removed my memory and GFX and still the same.

The jumpers are all default, like i said the EATX 4-pin is connected to the 8 pin slot, and the 24pin supply is connected too.

The memory is in the right slots too (2nd and 4th slot).

I think the only conclusion can be that the motherboard is broken?

Hope you can help, this is really getting to me...

It's certainly likely it's the PSU. At the very least, you need to have the 8 pin connected. I would try that first.

If it still doesn't work, it's probably due to the fact that your PSU is a POS. I would replace it with something quality (i.e. Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic or Silverstone) before I would RMA the motherboard.

Also, you'll want to try everything in the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky. The link is in my signature. That sticky has basically everything that we could suggest you do in it. Make sure that you don't just read it. You need to actually PERFORM every step in it to really troubleshoot the problem.

G

Well like i said, the PSU (Thermaltake TR2 500W) only has 4 pins, not 8. So i can't test with 8 pins... I also don't have another PSU lying around hm.

Thanks for the link, i'll def. check out everything and perform the actions.

Thermaltake is not a quality PSU maker.

You can buy an adapater to convert the 4 pin to an 8 pin connector. Just make sure it's the 12v one.

@Jack: That wouldn't cause it to not boot. You can boot with any amount of sticks, as long as it's compatible (i.e. DDR3) and working properly.

G

I've got a friend with a Antec 650 W PSU, you think this will work? Also the manual says 2 DDR3 modules will work just fine.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Dual channel memory works, however you are losing performance of your system. I suggest getting a third stick :)

And as for not booting, i think its the PSU. Get a better quality brand like CM, corsair, PCPAC, seasonic...etc

Antecs are good quality. I would try switching the PSUs and see if that fixes it.

@blackhawk: Coolermaster is NOT a quality PSU brand. They're actually worse than Thermaltake. Some of Thermaltake's units are alright (mostly the high wattage ones), while ALL of Coolermaster's are crappy.

G

Really appreciate the help people :) Going to switch PSU this afternoon and see how that goes. I'll also order a third ram stick in the next week or so.

G

Ok, so i tested with 2 different PSU:

- Antec Earthwatts 650 W
- PSU which supplies 750 W (didn't check the brand but this guy had twice the power my pc has)

STILL the same problem, 0.5 seconds of budging and then it stops, i also hear a clicking sound (i also heard this before everytime, forgot to mention).

I guess now the mobo is broken?

Can you tell where the clicking sound is coming from?

The only thing I have left to suggest is that you switch out individual parts with other builds if possible. That would be the only way to truly isolate the problem. If you can't do that, I would start to RMA the different parts.

G

Well, if the motherboard doesn't start with only the CPU on it, or CPU + RAM, it is def. the motherboard. And even then, the motherboard should atleast start..

To boot, you need to have the CPU, HSF and at least one RAM stick. And if it doesn't boot then, it doesn't mean the motherboard doesn't work. It means that either the board, RAM, CPU or HSF doesn't work. That's why you need to test with other parts to see what actually broken.

G

I build the pc outside the case (external build) with only one RAM stick, the CPU and the HSF in place. Still didn't budge.
My neighbour has the same setup, and his pc fires up without the CPU (gives a warning), and i believe i should atleast get something. I already RMA'ed the mobo, hope this turns out ok.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I build the pc outside the case (external build) with only one RAM stick, the CPU and the HSF in place. Still didn't budge.
My neighbour has the same setup, and his pc fires up without the CPU (gives a warning), and i believe i should atleast get something. I already RMA'ed the mobo, hope this turns out ok.

It sounded like either a short to the case or a power problem. You eliminated the first potetntial cause , good job. Good luck with the new motherboard.

You can run an 8-pin board with a 4-pin connector, no problem. It's supposed to only fit one way, offset to one side.

When you get the new board, also make sure to use the left and middle blue slots for the RAM. That wasn't your problem however.

cocoman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I am having the same problem with this motherboard. Is it just a defect? This is my second motherboard with the same problem. I have done everything to my knowledge to fix the problem. Everything is connected correctly with a 900 W Power Supply with 8 and 24 pin connected, three channel 1600 OCZ DDR3 Ram, ATI radian 5770 graphics card, Intel i7 930 processor. The motherboard willpower on for 0.5 seconds and then we’ll shut off with no further response. Only thing that seemed to be working is only the on-board power and reset button LED light. When I hold the memory OK button and power it on, it will stay on with no display on the monitor. But when I let go of the memory OK button it would just shut down. I also tried shifting the memory and different slots but getting the same reaction. Listen I don’t know what’s going on here but I do need some assistance. If I don’t figure out the problem I will be returning a second defective board back to the store. This time I will be getting a different name brand.

I love Asus boards but I am losing my patience.

protogen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I experienced the same problem with my new P6X58D on the weekend. Power and reset leds light up, but pressing the power button results in only 0.5 seconds of activity (fans spin, mem ok led flashes for a moment) then everything powers off (power and reset leds remain lit).

This morning I returned the board to the store where I bought it (MSY, Brooklyn, Melbourne, Australia) and they have tested it with the same results. I am now waiting on a replacement board (they are going to call me when new stock arrives). Here's hoping the new board doesn't suffer from the same problem.

I've found quite a few discussions on other forums talking of the same problem. All forum posts are since late Feb 2010 (within the last month or so). It does appear as if there's been a bad batch of P6X58D from Asus.

G

I guess I got lucky with my board from newegg. I bought an open box P6X58D Premium board and it boot up no problem.

I have 2x4GB installed currently but getting 6GB coming this monday. Seems to be a good overclocker too. My I7 930 is OC at 4.2ghz @ 1.34V.

Hope your problem gets fixed!!

nyc-alien

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Ok, so i tested with 2 different PSU:

- Antec Earthwatts 650 W
- PSU which supplies 750 W (didn't check the brand but this guy had twice the power my pc has)

STILL the same problem, 0.5 seconds of budging and then it stops, i also hear a clicking sound (i also heard this before everytime, forgot to mention).

I guess now the mobo is broken?

================================================

Hi there,

I had the same problem and it's not your PSU. It's the MB. The Asus P6X58D Premium does not support Intel i7 930 out of the box. You need to put a 920 or CPU that supports base BIOS version and upgrade it and then put 930. I got to know this hard way.

kartoga

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have a similar problem, only I am getting only the RED LED power light blinking, with nothing else coming on, fans, drives, LEDs, etc.

I rebuilt everything, even breadboard the thing.

Since NOTHING is getting power, would it be the PSU?

I mean even if the mobo was bad, wouldn't at least the fans OR the LEDs or the HD's (power cable only) come one....wouldn't one of these happen?

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard - that will isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU. You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or
CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should
change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

Incidently, those 4 to 8 pin adapters are useless. They do not increase the amount of power the PSU can supply. All they do is spread what the PSU can supply over more pins that are connected in parallel anyway.

kartoga

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
JSC----

I luv you man (or woman, who knows?)

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW [...] tube_gdata

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Absolutely nothing happened with this test. I even tried it with the case fan on like he said for small load. Nothing. Well once or twice, the fan seemed to bump a little, but that was when I plugged the PSU in and hadn't even flipped the standby switch.

Why would a PSU suddenly fail like that I wonder? The thing I had done previously was to replaced the HSF and this was the first Power Up afterward and it never started, nada, dead PSU.....

jason2704

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hi, my name is jason i work for pc recovery had similar problem i know this is a year old i have solved the problm been the bios was playing up i updated bios rom and solved the problem hope this help many regards if u still got this problem

I bought a new pc a few days ago, these are the specs:

- Antec Midi Tower Three Hundred No PSU
- Liteon DVD-burner SATA
- Asus P6X58D Premium iX58
- Asus PCI-e Radeon HD5770 Cucore 1GB DDR5
- Cosair 2x2GB DDR3 PC10666 CL6.0 Value (1333 MHz)
- Intel Core i7 930 2.80 Ghz 4.8GT/s 9 MB Box
- Thermaltake Purepower TR2 500 W
- 2X harddrive SATA (250 GB and 150 GB)

I installed everything as the manuals described, and this went easy as i put together my previous pc too.

Now, everything was put together and connected, i press the power-on button on the case, and the CPU-fan, PSU-fan and GFX-fan all spin for like 0.5 seconds and then everything stops. The lights on the motherboard are on (power-on switch and reset-switch), the Memtest LED isn't burning.

Now i pushed the power button again, and now absolutly nothing happens ( the lights are still burning tho).
I switched off the PSU, waited 30 sec, tried again, and everything tried to power up for like 0.5 seconds again.

My PSU is made for ATX 12V v2.0, but it only has 4 pins, while the motherboard has 8 pins, could this be the problem?

I also removed my harddrives, dvd-rom, and tested, still the same (0.5 seconds and stop).
Then i removed my memory and GFX and still the same.

The jumpers are all default, like i said the EATX 4-pin is connected to the 8 pin slot, and the 24pin supply is connected too.

The memory is in the right slots too (2nd and 4th slot).

I think the only conclusion can be that the motherboard is broken?

Hope you can help, this is really getting to me...