Usb not working to run windows

rminnis

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dell desktop that all the USB ports are not working after the computer starts to load windows xp.this computer doesnt have ps2 ports ONLY USB ports. I am able to go into BIOS setting and the USB is active and the mouse and keyboard both work just fine in BIOS. I did a Dell diagnosis from CD and everything passed. just when windows starts to load the num-lock light goes off on the keyboard and the light goes off on the optical mouse. and i cant do anything to log into windows. Please help i have info on the HD i need and dont want to loss.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Do I know no, but sounds like a driver problem in windows or even a virus.
When using the Dell diagnosis disk, is this a self booting mechanism (doesn't) require windows to be up and running?
If so then you should be able to do a restore/ or better a repair with dell disks or sometimes it's just a certain F-key you need to press during boot as they put this feature in a special partition on the harddrive.

rminnis

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

if i do a restore would that clear the information on the hard drive? i cant get to windows to do a driver update what would be a good course of action to take to get this fixed.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
The pure version of restore is a function of Windows, unfortunately some companies like gateway, emachines and possibly Dell use the same words on their disk software which is (windows butchered).
The windows version should look something like this: "would you like to restore your computer to the last known working condition". or you may see an option to pick a date as well.
The aftermarket butchers mentioned above sometimes override this with "restore, a full format and reinstall of the original software. This wipes out everything on the drive- why so they don't have to provide you with windows support which they are responsible for by their license.
Bottom line you need to read the options offered in detail, if neccessary reboot and try another selection if possible till you see something other than - we don't want to honor our support obligation so were just going to wipe the drive!
IF it sounds like I have a fixation about relicensed windows I really don't, I do think there should be a disclaimer by copywrite law that says "This is real Windows but we have removed some of it's functionality and most of the support.
"our only support is if it doesn't start - reformat/reinstall.