Sign in with
Your question

Machine crashed, now it won't power on

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2010 8:47:39 PM

My machine crashed whilst playing MW2 after I overclocked it 10% using the ASUS AI overclock thingy.

Now it won't start up again.

The light on the motherboard lights up, so I know the power supply is okay at least. I tried resetting the CMOS but that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any clue as to what's wrong. I guess I'm going to have to resort to replacing components one thing at a time. Does anyone know what it's most likely to be?

More about : machine crashed power

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 8:52:29 PM

Good job giving us the specs. How do you think we're going to be able to help?

The only thing we can really do is point you to the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky. The link to it is in my signature. Be sure to actually do all of the steps, don't just read them.
April 9, 2010 8:55:31 PM

Is my spec even slightly relevant to the problem? Even if it were some old 8088 problem, would that even slightly change the things that could possibly be wrong? It's either going to be the mobo, processor or RAM that needs replacing, surely?
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 9:00:21 PM

Yes. Looking at what you have in the build can tell us if your PSU might have died, if something isn't compatible and allows us to look up any issues with the various parts. Without knowing what the computer is using, we can't offer any help whatsoever.

Right now, it could be the PSU (if it's poor quality), the board, the RAM, the CPU (very unlikely), the heatsink (overheating), the case (overheating), the HDD or really anything else about the computer.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 9:02:23 PM

Well hardware can matter but more important "how far are you getting ?" Not quite sure what "won't start up again" means.

Does the MoBo logo appear ? , can you get into BIOS ?, does windows start to load ?
April 9, 2010 9:11:03 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Well hardware can matter but more important "how far are you getting ?" Not quite sure what "won't start up again" means.

Does the MoBo logo appear ? , can you get into BIOS ?, does windows start to load ?

Thanks for your reply Jack,

As I said in the subject line, the machine won't power on. If I supply power to the PSU, the green LED on the motherboard lights up to show that it's getting power, but when I press the front power switch, nothing else happens. The cpu and system fans don't fire up and there's no output from the video card.
!