MSCONFIG FILE LOCATION

Good Morning all ( here in UK anyway)

I run XP Home, operating on a Celeron D Prescott core which I learned the
hard way does not cope at all well with XP SP 2. I had to entirely reinstall
XP. In doing so, I also took the opportiunity to delete some unused
programmes. I have now got a prob with MSCONFIG.

I type MSCONFIg in the start > run box, and get the response " windows
cannot find "msconfig.exe"... However, if I use the start> search facility,
it finds it easily - in fact two. One is located at C\Windows\help and the
ballon shows that it is a "compile HTML help file" . The other is located
at C\windows\PCHealth\Help Ctr\Binaries and is described as "system
configuration utility" - I guess tha'ts what I want, since I can click on it
and get to the config utility. PC Health is one of the software progs I
deleted and so no longer exists.

So how, please, can I access MSCONFIG from start>run ?

SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL
4 answers Last reply
More about msconfig file location

    In HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths you will find
    keys that contain information on where certain executables are run from. You
    are probably missing the msconfig.exe key. I tried this on my system and if I
    remove the msconfig.exe key, I was not able to run msconfig from start-run
    either. So you will need to add a key called msconfig.exe and then change the
    value of (default) to C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe. This
    should allow you to run msconfig from the start-run.

    Remember to backup your registry first, just in case!!!

    Jeff S.
    Out1649@hotmail.com

    "Charlie Somerset" wrote:

    > Good Morning all ( here in UK anyway)
    >
    > I run XP Home, operating on a Celeron D Prescott core which I learned the
    > hard way does not cope at all well with XP SP 2. I had to entirely reinstall
    > XP. In doing so, I also took the opportiunity to delete some unused
    > programmes. I have now got a prob with MSCONFIG.
    >
    > I type MSCONFIg in the start > run box, and get the response " windows
    > cannot find "msconfig.exe"... However, if I use the start> search facility,
    > it finds it easily - in fact two. One is located at C\Windows\help and the
    > ballon shows that it is a "compile HTML help file" . The other is located
    > at C\windows\PCHealth\Help Ctr\Binaries and is described as "system
    > configuration utility" - I guess tha'ts what I want, since I can click on it
    > and get to the config utility. PC Health is one of the software progs I
    > deleted and so no longer exists.
    >
    > So how, please, can I access MSCONFIG from start>run ?
    >
    > SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL

    Jeff S - thanks for this simple and absolutely spot on answer, Jeff. sorry
    for the delay in replying - unexpectedly out of the office all yesterday.

    MSCONFIG now runs smooth the day I bought it !

    "HelpCtr" has the same issue, I discovered - I assume same answer, but does
    that also go into "AppPaths" , or a different HKEY route ?

    thanks very much

    Charlie

    "mtjoyhero" wrote:

    > In HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths you will find
    > keys that contain information on where certain executables are run from. You
    > are probably missing the msconfig.exe key. I tried this on my system and if I
    > remove the msconfig.exe key, I was not able to run msconfig from start-run
    > either. So you will need to add a key called msconfig.exe and then change the
    > value of (default) to C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe. This
    > should allow you to run msconfig from the start-run.
    >
    > Remember to backup your registry first, just in case!!!
    >
    > Jeff S.
    > Out1649@hotmail.com
    >

    > "Charlie Somerset" wrote:
    >
    > > Good Morning all ( here in UK anyway)
    > >
    > > I run XP Home, operating on a Celeron D Prescott core which I learned the
    > > hard way does not cope at all well with XP SP 2. I had to entirely reinstall
    > > XP. In doing so, I also took the opportiunity to delete some unused
    > > programmes. I have now got a prob with MSCONFIG.
    > >
    > > I type MSCONFIg in the start > run box, and get the response " windows
    > > cannot find "msconfig.exe"... However, if I use the start> search facility,
    > > it finds it easily - in fact two. One is located at C\Windows\help and the
    > > ballon shows that it is a "compile HTML help file" . The other is located
    > > at C\windows\PCHealth\Help Ctr\Binaries and is described as "system
    > > configuration utility" - I guess tha'ts what I want, since I can click on it
    > > and get to the config utility. PC Health is one of the software progs I
    > > deleted and so no longer exists.
    > >
    > > So how, please, can I access MSCONFIG from start>run ?
    > >
    > > SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL

    Charlie,

    If you get the error "Cannot find helpctr.exe", then the answer is probably the same.

    "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Charlie Somerset" <CharlieSomerset@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7558289A-C9A6-4040-A80B-E7F522DFC940@microsoft.com...
    Jeff S - thanks for this simple and absolutely spot on answer, Jeff. sorry
    for the delay in replying - unexpectedly out of the office all yesterday.

    MSCONFIG now runs smooth the day I bought it !

    "HelpCtr" has the same issue, I discovered - I assume same answer, but does
    that also go into "AppPaths" , or a different HKEY route ?

    thanks very much

    Charlie

    RAMESH - thank you very much for this answer - the link you gave to "mvps"
    was exactly what is happening and looks exactly what I need to do.

    thanks again.

    charlie somerset

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Charlie,
    >
    > If you get the error "Cannot find helpctr.exe", then the answer is probably the same.
    >
    > "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Charlie Somerset" <CharlieSomerset@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7558289A-C9A6-4040-A80B-E7F522DFC940@microsoft.com...
    > Jeff S - thanks for this simple and absolutely spot on answer, Jeff. sorry
    > for the delay in replying - unexpectedly out of the office all yesterday.
    >
    > MSCONFIG now runs smooth the day I bought it !
    >
    > "HelpCtr" has the same issue, I discovered - I assume same answer, but does
    > that also go into "AppPaths" , or a different HKEY route ?
    >
    > thanks very much
    >
    > Charlie

Configuration Msconfig Windows XP