Sign in with
Your question

Is my cpu or video to blame?

Last response: in CPUs
June 19, 2010 4:52:16 AM

Hey guys,The other day someone gave me a quad core HP computer that wasent working and they figured it was due to a bad mobo, the computer would have weird visual anomalies on the screen when i was connected to the pci-e vid card so i figured i would try the onboard graphics. there were still visual anomalies but not as bad as they were when i was connected to the pci-e card.

so anyway after thinking it was the mobo i went ahead and bought a new one. got everything switched over and hooked up and its doing the exact same thing :( 

the new mobo is a gygabyte and has no onboard graphics.

im stil useing the same pci-e vid card and i was thinking it might be the video card but since it was also doing it on the onboard graphics on the other board im starting to think its the cpu? :( 

any help would be great, thanks very much.

More about : cpu video blame

June 19, 2010 5:24:36 AM

anyone?
a c 162 à CPUs
June 19, 2010 5:28:16 AM

Did you use a known good system to check the monitor to make sure thats not the cause?

In general, visual artifacts are caused by the GPU having issues, maybe overheating, bad power, damaged VRAM, or a damaged GPU itself. I think its far more likely that the video card is the culprit, try swapping it out for a friends and see if your issues go away.
Related resources
June 19, 2010 5:46:46 AM

sean1986 said:
Hey guys,The other day someone gave me a quad core HP computer that wasent working and they figured it was due to a bad mobo, the computer would have weird visual anomalies on the screen when i was connected to the pci-e vid card so i figured i would try the onboard graphics. there were still visual anomalies but not as bad as they were when i was connected to the pci-e card.

so anyway after thinking it was the mobo i went ahead and bought a new one. got everything switched over and hooked up and its doing the exact same thing :( 

the new mobo is a gygabyte and has no onboard graphics.

im stil useing the same pci-e vid card and i was thinking it might be the video card but since it was also doing it on the onboard graphics on the other board im starting to think its the cpu? :( 

any help would be great, thanks very much.

If it was the CPU, you'd get much more than anomalies on the screen. What sort of anomalies are you getting though?

Have you checked it with a different screen? different resolutions?
If it were the CPU, something like prime95 would pick up on anything processor/memory related overheating/malfunctioning.

cb
June 19, 2010 7:37:57 AM

thx for the replys guys,

The screen is fine , i use it all the time with my other pc. The visual artifacts are horizontal lines and sometimes words and numbers scatterd.

I guess my best bet is to try a diff vid card.
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2010 2:06:25 PM

Also run a memory diagnostic to ensure that it's not the RAM that's causing the trouble.
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2010 8:21:17 PM

This does sound like a ram issue, it's typical of the video card but since both onboard and dedicated are doing the same you might try using only one chip then swap to another (hope there's two or more). The video card including the dedicated use onboard memory so.
June 19, 2010 9:15:43 PM

ok so i put another video card in and that fixed the visual stuff so everything looked good and was going great , so i proceeded to throw the windows disc in and set the bios to boot from cd and that went well. when it said press any key to boot from cd i tryed but its like my keyboard stoped working? it worked fine in bios, but when it said press any key to boot from disc i couldent? i tryed changing the keyboard around to different usb ports and still the same , its really weird because this is a bran new mobo im useing so that shouldent be a issue.

maybe i should try a ps2 keyboard? could this issue relate to my ram or cpu? im starting to pull my hair out.

Any help is much apprechaited.
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 11:59:17 AM

Have you set the boot from dvd parameters in BIOS?
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 2:02:23 PM

I'm not so sure installing another video card did anything good.
It's highly unlikely that both the previous plug in video card went bad and the onboard video went bad (orig motherboard). The only commonality they have is passing data through the northbridge which is different with the new motherboard.
The one other commonality they posses is sharing the motherboard ram.
Sure trying a ps2 keyboard couldn't hurt, some early boards had trouble with usb and used a driver, as I recall xp service pack 2 was the first fix without the motherboard driver disk.
!