Sign in with
Your question

Three crashed hard drives.. ..in one day?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2010 12:59:00 AM

I'm posting this in motherboards forum for kind of a roundabout reason.. I'll explain:

This morning, my C drive crashed. I've had it for going on 11 years, and right in the middle of watching a flash video, black screen, and blinking cursor when I tried to boot.
Then, after much lament over the amount of stuff I lost, I installed Windows 7 on a different hard drive; A newer 1.5TB one that was only about 1/5 full, so I figured it was a good candidate. I reinstalled a bunch of applications, and everything was on the mend. Then I decided I wanted to try and do some data recovery from the bad former C drive... Bad move. As soon as I plug it in and turn it on, nothing will boot. The freshly-Windows7'd F drive won't boot, the C is still dead, and I'm back to having no computer.
So I decide to install Windows 7 on a third hard drive - a 1 TB hard drive that I got as a perk from work.. Repeat above scenario, except this time I couldn't even make it though the install process - it crashed and gave me blinking cursor on boot pretty soon after hooking it up.

..So, I'm posting this in motherboards before I figure i CAN'T have bricked three hard drives in a day by pure chance.. It must have something to do with the SATA ports on the motherboard, no? I defer to superior wisdoms.
Background: I built the thing two years ago, with the only old part being the newly defunct C drive, since it housed a bunch of writing and website code and the like.
December 20, 2010 10:54:58 AM

The only time I've had multiple drives fail like this (9 drives in 4 months) it was due to a faulty PSU. I changed the motherboard and it seemed to fix the issue, but then a week or two later yet another died.

My PSU was spiking and randomly rape a HDD.

If you've got one, try using another PSU (and a new drive probably) and see if it's stable.
m
l
December 22, 2010 8:18:32 PM

Here's the update: The F drive wasn't fried, it just wasn't reading reliably. I unplugged and re-plugged the SATA connections and it recognized it. I installed windows on the F drive (the 1.5 TB I was using for storage) and it's working - reinstalled things like OpenOffice, even Avid, and it's running like a clean install of Windows, BUT.. Every once in a while.. I'd say once every 3 days.. The computer freezes, reboots to the mobo boot screen, and fails to recognize any boot drive. At that point, I go re-set the SATA cables, boot it up, hit 'Run Windows Normally' (I realize I should really do a scandisk after this kind of cold shutdown), and everything boots up normally and works for another few days.

The C drive is still lost.. Such is life..
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2010 4:38:33 AM

I once purchased a Samsung HDD from a seller who sold it as new , It was maybe second hand , it didn't even last a year. It was bought this year. I then decided to buy a reliable 500 GB which is still working today.
m
l
December 23, 2010 7:20:42 AM

acer0169 said:
The only time I've had multiple drives fail like this (9 drives in 4 months) it was due to a faulty PSU. I changed the motherboard and it seemed to fix the issue, but then a week or two later yet another died.

My PSU was spiking and randomly rape a HDD.

If you've got one, try using another PSU (and a new drive probably) and see if it's stable.

I hve had problems like this for near a year ever since I bought a new P5Q3 mobo. I had to send back 8 drives for warranty as every now and then they just die. I thought it was the mobo and maybe it is but I am going to try another power as well now as I lost another drive today.

It is so hard to figuire what it might be as one has to have another set of everything to replace them all. I will get UPS as wll in case it comes from the wall although other boxes and printers are not effected.

Any other suggestions,

oz
m
l
December 23, 2010 8:46:03 PM

ozrock said:
I hve had problems like this for near a year ever since I bought a new P5Q3 mobo. I had to send back 8 drives for warranty as every now and then they just die. I thought it was the mobo and maybe it is but I am going to try another power as well now as I lost another drive today.

It is so hard to figuire what it might be as one has to have another set of everything to replace them all. I will get UPS as wll in case it comes from the wall although other boxes and printers are not effected.

Any other suggestions,

oz

That's pretty much exactly what I figured this problem was, when I still thought it was killing drives.. Now that I know that it's only one drive that died, and the rest are being sporadically not recognized, it's a bit of a different issue, but as to what's causing it, right now I'm thinking something with the actual connection to the SATA plugs. Once, when the F drive froze and it rebooted, it failed to recognize it (F, the boot drive) for about 4 reboots, until I literally pressed my finger on the back of the plug and held it in place for the duration of the boot, and lo and behold, works fine, and I can stop holding the plug as soon as windows starts loading.. Weird stuff, but pretty specific, at least.
m
l
December 23, 2010 9:23:04 PM

skabbo said:
That's pretty much exactly what I figured this problem was, when I still thought it was killing drives.. Now that I know that it's only one drive that died, and the rest are being sporadically not recognized, it's a bit of a different issue, but as to what's causing it, right now I'm thinking something with the actual connection to the SATA plugs. Once, when the F drive froze and it rebooted, it failed to recognize it (F, the boot drive) for about 4 reboots, until I literally pressed my finger on the back of the plug and held it in place for the duration of the boot, and lo and behold, works fine, and I can stop holding the plug as soon as windows starts loading.. Weird stuff, but pretty specific, at least.

Yes I have done that as well by pressing the SATA plugs and they are seen. My SATA 3 doesn't work at all (There are 6 on my P5Q3 mobo) so I think that has something to do with it.

I am today buying another mobo, a UPS and a 700watt power supply and setting it all up again to see what happens. I will then get the P5q3 tested properly and as it says 3 year warranty ( I have had it 18 mnths) I will try and get a replacement if it proves fault. You never know, maybe I will get one.. Can only try..

Have a great Holiday Season..

oz
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 24, 2010 6:43:31 AM

skabbo said:
... right now I'm thinking something with the actual connection to the SATA plugs. Once, when the F drive froze and it rebooted, it failed to recognize it (F, the boot drive) for about 4 reboots, until I literally pressed my finger on the back of the plug and held it in place for the duration of the boot,

You old boot drive - well that's one reason I always put a new boot drive into any computer I am building. And forgive me, but you have never heard of backups?

The other drives - intermittent SATA connections should not kill drives. You know there are improved SATA cables with metal clips on the connectors. They make a more reliable connection when they snap into the sockets on the motherboard or drives.
m
l
December 24, 2010 10:26:58 PM

Quote:

You old boot drive - well that's one reason I always put a new boot drive into any computer I am building. And forgive me, but you have never heard of backups?

I have no defense. I try making a habit of backing up, at least when I'm working on something (I do a bit of writing and programming), but when I'm not, I slack off, and the last time was long enough ago that's it's pretty irrelevant. Live and learn.
m
l
!