What exactly is System temp?

So for the longest time, I had thought 'System temp" to be the ambient temperature inside my case.
I noticed it was at 36c today, so I stuck my hand behind my case, it was NOT 36c. more like 21-25c.
I played some games, noticed it went up to around 50c(cpu temp was 43c). It dissipated within about 5-10 mins, so again, I doubt it was ambient temp.

Then I checked bios - Indeed, my CPU is running a good 3-10c colder than my "System temp"

So what's the culprit here? Is my system temp sensor not ambient case temp? Is it a bad sensor?
Is my CPU sensor bad?

Confused is me.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, my case has a vent near the cpu with a circular metal thing that leads the air directly into the CPU. Could this be the cause?
5 answers Last reply
More about what system temp
  1. More than likely something on your motherboard is getting warm.
    You'd need to know where your motherboards system temp probe is located to figure out more.
  2. WR2 said:
    More than likely something on your motherboard is getting warm.
    You'd need to know where your motherboards system temp probe is located to figure out more.

It's a ga-ma790GPT-UD3h if this helps anyone.
  3. What program are you using to monitor your temperatures? If it is consistently slightly warmer than your CPU i would say your two options are that its your northbridge temp or its the CPU socket temp.
  4. hunter315 said:
    What program are you using to monitor your temperatures? If it is consistently slightly warmer than your CPU i would say your two options are that its your northbridge temp or its the CPU socket temp.

I've used open hardware monitor, HWmonitor, and my bios.
  5. System temp is the motherboard temperature, it may be taken at PWM or Chipset or anyplace the manufacturer chose to put the sensor.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cases Temperature