Processor question

hernan9999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
i´ve HD5750(not overclocked)and intel dual core E2180(not overclocked).i think this processor is making bottleneck;i want to know if my prediction is right and if it´s i would like to know which is the worst processor that won´t gonna make me bottleneck.
Thanks Hernan

That's not so. The E2180 is only 2.0 GHZ with 1 mb of L2 cache. It will certainly bottleneck an HD5750 in the more CPU intensive games at stock. However it should OC easily and well. Probably over 3 GHZ just on the stock cooler which should clear up the problem almost entirely.

hernan9999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
i think i have bottleneck because i have problem with textures.here i let u a video of far cry 2 that shows it. http://www.xfire.com/video/254de7/ .look at the stone.

Conduct a couple of tests.

1) Make your cpu go slower and see if you still get the same frame rates. Do this by going to windows/power management, and limiting your cpu utilization to some number like 75%. If your frame rates do not change, you are not cpu bound.

2) Reduce the resolution of your game and remove some of the eye candy. If your frame rates go up with a lessened graphics load, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a faster graphics card. Conversely, if the frame rates stay the same, it indicates that your cpu is limiting you.

Let us know what you see. I think you are relatively balanced now.

control panel/power options/high performance/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state set to <100% temporarily.

4745454b

Titan
A 2180 at stock is going to be a problem for newer games. Any game that needs CPU power isn't going to work as well. OCing it will help, but that 1MB cache will hold it back some. I would try to get it to 3GHz.

Yeah, no question that cpu at stock is going to bottleneck an HD5750 in a lot of games, especially at low resolutions. I'm surprised people are questioning that.
Just OC it like we said before. It's really not particularly difficult. Basically you are just raising the front side bus, bumping up the voltage a lil as necessary.