Sign in with
Your question

Bottlenecking Performance?

Last response: in Systems
April 9, 2010 11:43:32 PM

Hey guys,
I built a computer last June, and after awhile i believe that there is something bottlenecking the performance of my system. Here are the specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 7750BE 2.7ghz
Motherboard: Asrock A780GXE/128M
Video Card: XFX ATI Radeon 4850 with 1GB of DDR3
RAM: Patriot Viper series 2x2GB DDR2 1066
Case: NZXT Guardian 921
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB SATA

I am running windows 7, and it runs fine and everything, but the motherboard i have is not listed as Windows 7 supported, so i think that could be reason numero uno.

On the other hand, here are my windows experience index numbers:
CPU:6.2
Memory:7.1
Graphics:7.1
Gaming Graphics:7.1
Hard Disk:5.9

So i think that shows the CPU is the cause, but i think the motherboard is another thing.

Should i upgrade my CPU, or Motherboard, or both? and if either of the two, which brand should i get? thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 11:48:46 PM

First of all, bottlenecking performance in what, games?

Could possibly be the CPU considering its only a dual core and not particularly fast at that. If it is games you're on about, what res/settings are you playing particular games at. Oh and in which DX mode?
m
l
April 9, 2010 11:57:40 PM

Just All-around performance. mostly with opening programs, some games take some time to boot up, and iTunes, which i use very often, takes about 7 seconds to start. and turning on the computer in the morning, when the operating system goes to the desktop it's slow opening up programs. my cousins have two homebuilt PC's, and once the operating system starts they can open up the web and anything without delay.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 235 V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 12:08:36 AM

In my opinion, I would recommend upgrading your hard drive to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 (500GB or 1TB). This will be your biggest performance increase in load times outside of a SSD. Your CPU and motherboard are good enough to be open programs without issues. Your current hard drive is a low hard drive meant for backup storage, versus running an OS.

Your WE score won't change but your performance will (unless you get a SSD). Standard hard drives will not go over 5.9 no matter how fast they are.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 12:51:38 AM

For me, Itunes takes a little while to open, maybe about 4 or 5 seconds, don't know why but it runs like a dream after first open.

I have a spinpoint F3 and it takes about 20 - 25 seconds from power on to desktop ready to go.
m
l
April 10, 2010 1:33:37 AM

also, when playing some games on high enough settings that my pc can support, the graphics just look choppy when fast moving instances happen. in BFBC2 i played the first mission and before you get into a sub-pen there's a huge explosion and it just looked terrible.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 1:36:55 AM

Try turning the settings down especially AA and AF. If you're getting the same problem its your CPU, if it cures then its the graphics card.
m
l
April 10, 2010 1:38:56 AM

alright, and answering your question from your first reply im using DX10. but which would be a better performance upgrade, CPU or motherboard?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 1:57:30 AM

That comes down to your budget in reality. I wouldn't stress about the motherboard too terribly much, a PII x4 and a new disk would help with the issues you have.
m
l
April 10, 2010 2:18:33 AM

even though the mobo i have doesn't have the windows 7 ready logo? like it's running fine and everything, i'm just curious
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2010 3:18:09 AM

No, that's advertising for the most part. My mom's old P4 Dell is running Win7, that's where I got the 1.0 :) 
m
l
!