propane

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot, im new to here.
Recently my mobo in my current PC stopped working and Im now looking for parts that match my current working parts AND will be an upgrade from my old stuff without breaking the bank. My old PC I ran a AMD Athalon 64 X2, on a HP mobo. 4gb OZC DDR2 800 , XFX 9800gt, 2 WD 250gb HDD's, HD DVD-ROM optical drive, vista 32-bit home, run by 450w rosewill stallion PSU.

Im looking at the ASUS M4N75TD for mobo, another 9800gt to SLI, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz, Windows 7 home. I would like to OC this but not sure how much more I would need to get to do this. Also wondering if I need a new power supply to run what I need.

Any suggestions to help me out would be greatly appreciated, as this is the first real time I've had to upgrade/replace parts and really need some help :ange:

Solution
You're not doing too badly there. You will need to get rid of the DDR2 memory as that board there is DDR3. Make sure the 9800gt is the exact same model/chipset for SLI. You will want to up your power supply to a more well known brand such as Corsair or Antec (HX series by Corsair or TruePower series by Antec). You'll want about 750 W to be comfortable.

With regards to overclocking, you'll need a better heatsink than the stock one. With you saying you not wanting to break the bank, id go with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2. They are very cheap and very very good at getting rid of extra OC heat. Oh and if you're going to get a new version of windows, make it 64-bit to recognise all of your RAM.

propane

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Yes I do want to use my old ram, thanks for that I didnt realize that it was DDR3. Also I will need to purchace an aftermarket heatsink and fan, what should I look for?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You're not doing too badly there. You will need to get rid of the DDR2 memory as that board there is DDR3. Make sure the 9800gt is the exact same model/chipset for SLI. You will want to up your power supply to a more well known brand such as Corsair or Antec (HX series by Corsair or TruePower series by Antec). You'll want about 750 W to be comfortable.

With regards to overclocking, you'll need a better heatsink than the stock one. With you saying you not wanting to break the bank, id go with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2. They are very cheap and very very good at getting rid of extra OC heat. Oh and if you're going to get a new version of windows, make it 64-bit to recognise all of your RAM.

Solution

propane

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Yes I plan on getting 64-bit, I glanced over http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 quickly, would this do the job?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
That would do just fine. Corsair are a good make, the only one i consider for PSU's personally but i also know Antec are well reknowned too.

With regards to the RAM, are you adamantly wanting to stick with DDR2 or are you ok to make the shift to DDR3? Memory prices are a bit... unstable and are at a nasty high at the moment so make sure you invest in a good pair of sticks.

propane

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I would like to stick with my current ram, as i have limited funding hehe, but depending on how much performance I would get out of upgrading to DDR3, I would consider it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Not a massive amount unless you're really gunning for the top level DDR3 sticks. In that case it might be an idea to look for a DDR2 board.

This might be a good board to look at. Its fairly cheap, good make, DDR2 up to 1066 but its not AM3, only AM2+ so make sure you flash the BIOS to ensure maximum compatability of your CPU.

AM3 CPU's tend to work only with the ATI chipset boards (that funnily enough mostly only support DDR3).

propane

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I would like to keep everything from newegg to lower shipping which is understandable I hope. The board rolli linked looked alright from my inexperienced eyes what do you think about it?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
That one was actually an inferior chipset despite it being newer. It will suit your purpose however. I only reference from Scan because im english, newegg's site is a disaster to navigate when you're used to Scan's one.