EK block tripping X58 failsafe?

mrcirillo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I'm not sure whether this one belongs here or in the cooling section, but I'll throw it out there.

I'm working on a watercooled i7 build. I bought a full board EK block for my little r3 gene. I had read somewhere that the block was discontinued because somehow it was keeping boards from powering up (after I bought it, naturally). I strapped it on and gave it a dry run to confirm, and to my dismay the news is true. Upon hitting my fancy ASUS start button the board will show activity for a fraction of a second, then ceased to do anything. If I remove the block everything works fine.

Can anyone think of a reason this is happening consistently with these blocks? EK suggests it may be a failsafe, perhaps related to pcb bending.

mrcirillo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Yes, everything is grommet-ed and stood off of the board. Is it possible that the screws themselves are responsible? They're a bit bigger (in diameter) than the ones used to secure the stock heatsinks.

Another thing: The block is actually pushing on a nearby capacitor. It is bent back to the point where it is touching another capacitor. Would that create a short? The connections between the capacitor and the board aren't broken.