CMOS Battery on Compaq Armada 7700

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 7:14:18 PM

Hi. Can someone tell me where I can find the CMOS battery on a Compaq
Armada 7700 series laptop? I took off the memory cover and the keyboard
expecting it to be staring at me. Nothing. I even removed the sound card
and modem. Still nothing. Where do they hide the thing?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 3:55:24 AM

I don't know about that specific model, but some of them are really,
really burried. I've seen cases where the motherboard had to be removed
to replace it.

Ulysses wrote:
> Hi. Can someone tell me where I can find the CMOS battery on a Compaq
> Armada 7700 series laptop? I took off the memory cover and the keyboard
> expecting it to be staring at me. Nothing. I even removed the sound card
> and modem. Still nothing. Where do they hide the thing?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 5:27:05 AM

Ulysses <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi. Can someone tell me where I can find the CMOS battery on a Compaq
> Armada 7700 series laptop? I took off the memory cover and the
> keyboard expecting it to be staring at me. Nothing. I even removed
> the sound card and modem. Still nothing. Where do they hide the
> thing?

IIRC it's _under_ the motherboard! IOW, you have to completely disassemble
the unit to get to the battery.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 5:27:06 AM

Correct. It ain't worth it. Half the time on these old machines, IME,
you take 'em apart and they won't run right when they're back together.
Just keep a charged battery in the thing and you won't need the CMOS
battery. If you do lose power, basically all you lose is the time and
date, anyway. Reset it and go again.

JHEM wrote:
> Ulysses <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi. Can someone tell me where I can find the CMOS battery on a Compaq
>>Armada 7700 series laptop? I took off the memory cover and the
>>keyboard expecting it to be staring at me. Nothing. I even removed
>>the sound card and modem. Still nothing. Where do they hide the
>>thing?
>

> IIRC it's _under_ the motherboard! IOW, you have to completely disassemble
> the unit to get to the battery.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 2:19:39 PM

Wow. And I guess whoever designed this goes out and buys a new house when
the toilet paper roll becomes empty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 9:02:20 PM

Airman Thunderbird <airman.basic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct. It ain't worth it. Half the time on these old machines, IME,
> you take 'em apart and they won't run right when they're back
> together. Just keep a charged battery in the thing and you won't need
> the CMOS battery. If you do lose power, basically all you lose is the
> time and date, anyway. Reset it and go again.

There are a very great number of laptops, I daresay a majority, that will
lose the ability to BOOT once the CMOS battery is completely depleted or
falls below a certain voltage.

In those instances one has no choice but to replace the battery or leave the
unit permanently docked in a docking station that bypasses the laptop's APM
or ACPI power system.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
September 16, 2004 2:19:43 AM

Ulysses <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wow. And I guess whoever designed this goes out and buys a new house
> when the toilet paper roll becomes empty.

To be fair about it, you don't have to completely disassemble most recent
laptops to simply change the CMOS battery.

On some models it's downright easy.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 2:44:58 PM

Yes, but he was asking about the Compaq 7700, about which I have much
experience. It will boot fine w/o a viable CMOS battery, and if
disassembled, often the video ribbon cable will break, making it
essentially useless. I'm using several for the kids, (they cost less
than $150 U.S. on eBay) and are fine for surfing the net, IM, and word
processing. Just keep a charged system battery in it.

!