Kodak DX 7630 - Two Questions

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 1:20:45 PM

Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
modes?
2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
observations?

Thanks.
- Jim

More about : kodak 7630 questions

December 6, 2004 7:54:29 AM

I am going to test my 7630 with the 2x tomorrow. I will let you know.

<jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> modes?
> 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> observations?
>
> Thanks.
> - Jim

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:54:30 AM

Don:

I will stay tuned waiting for your results.

TIA,

Hap

[Kodak DX7740]

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:54:29 GMT, "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I am going to test my 7630 with the 2x tomorrow. I will let you know.
>
><jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
>> 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
>> modes?
>> 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
>> observations?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> - Jim
December 9, 2004 12:40:22 PM

Greetings Jim,

Glad to hear about your purchase. Great camera and you are in for some
great photography.

Just so you know, we have a web site dedicated to just this camera. When
you visit there is an html version of the manual as well as a downloadable
PDF version. You may want to visit. Nice and easy to find content due to
the hyperlinking.

In your particular situation, go to the following URL to find what you are
looking for. There are - auto, 16 scene modes, program auto, aperture
priority, shutter priority, manual, custom setting mode. To review the
specific modes you have noted, use Kodak's GO technology. Just type the
Kodak URL then add /go/dx7630 (works for any camera model). Or for a review
of all our support content use /go/dx7630support On that page in the left
side column is a link to 'Product Manuals' Click on that link to get a list
of all of them including yours. In the HTML option will be a hyperlinked
index. Go to the second section and click on 'Camera Modes.' All will be
reviewed there.

The adapter is easy to use and not too expensive, so you can employ any 37mm
filters or other lens accessories in the thread size. Of course if you like
you can get one of the lenses offered in our store or that are available at
most retailers. Check them out. I found the camera to be exceptional in my
personal use and I am betting you will too.

Talk to you soon, Jim, let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> modes?
> 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> observations?
>
> Thanks.
> - Jim

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:58:21 PM

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info on the on-line manuals. I have been known to lose
manuals and it is good to know they are avaliable on-line. But.... I
am looking for more details than the manuals provide. I'd like to know
exactly what the camera settings are for the different modes. For
example what is the difference between "sports" and "children"? Both
would appear to be designed for fast action in bright light. So, when
would one be better than the other?

Thanks.
- Jim

Ron Baird wrote:
> Greetings Jim,
>
> Glad to hear about your purchase. Great camera and you are in for
some
> great photography.
>
> Just so you know, we have a web site dedicated to just this camera.
When
> you visit there is an html version of the manual as well as a
downloadable
> PDF version. You may want to visit. Nice and easy to find content
due to
> the hyperlinking.
>
> In your particular situation, go to the following URL to find what
you are
> looking for. There are - auto, 16 scene modes, program auto,
aperture
> priority, shutter priority, manual, custom setting mode. To review
the
> specific modes you have noted, use Kodak's GO technology. Just type
the
> Kodak URL then add /go/dx7630 (works for any camera model). Or for a
review
> of all our support content use /go/dx7630support On that page in the
left
> side column is a link to 'Product Manuals' Click on that link to get
a list
> of all of them including yours. In the HTML option will be a
hyperlinked
> index. Go to the second section and click on 'Camera Modes.' All
will be
> reviewed there.
>
> The adapter is easy to use and not too expensive, so you can employ
any 37mm
> filters or other lens accessories in the thread size. Of course if
you like
> you can get one of the lenses offered in our store or that are
available at
> most retailers. Check them out. I found the camera to be
exceptional in my
> personal use and I am betting you will too.
>
> Talk to you soon, Jim, let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> <jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> > 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> > modes?
> > 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> > observations?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > - Jim

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:59:54 PM

Hi Don,
Please share your results with us.
Thanks.
- Jim
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:49:27 PM

Greetings Jim,

I can appreciate the interest.

What I believe Kodak has done here is create a set of 'modes' that relate to
the most commonly used settings and provided them to you at the turn of a
dial or click of a button. This means that there are preset aperture and
shutter settings that testing has show to work best for those conditions.
So, rather than require a review of the scene, decision of what settings
might work best, and your manually setting the camera to them etc. we simply
put them in place so you can activate them easily and quickly. It has been
quite well received.

What the specific settings are eludes me at the moment, but the seem similar
but may vary depending on the amount of light so I do not have particular
specific numbers as they can change. They both employ faster shutter speeds
but the algorithm may have differing params based on light, i.e. fast
shutter speed in bright light, while the other allows the use of a fast
shutter speed as well but even in lower light it may retain that speed.

If your interest is in sports or action, you may want to consider the DX6490
or the DX7590 as both have the option of Flash. This would be prime for
children and if in proximity, action or sports.

Talk to you soon, Jim,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron,
> Thanks for the info on the on-line manuals. I have been known to lose
> manuals and it is good to know they are avaliable on-line. But.... I
> am looking for more details than the manuals provide. I'd like to know
> exactly what the camera settings are for the different modes. For
> example what is the difference between "sports" and "children"? Both
> would appear to be designed for fast action in bright light. So, when
> would one be better than the other?
>
> Thanks.
> - Jim
>
> Ron Baird wrote:
> > Greetings Jim,
> >
> > Glad to hear about your purchase. Great camera and you are in for
> some
> > great photography.
> >
> > Just so you know, we have a web site dedicated to just this camera.
> When
> > you visit there is an html version of the manual as well as a
> downloadable
> > PDF version. You may want to visit. Nice and easy to find content
> due to
> > the hyperlinking.
> >
> > In your particular situation, go to the following URL to find what
> you are
> > looking for. There are - auto, 16 scene modes, program auto,
> aperture
> > priority, shutter priority, manual, custom setting mode. To review
> the
> > specific modes you have noted, use Kodak's GO technology. Just type
> the
December 15, 2004 7:08:36 AM

I was finally able to get out today and try my 2X telephoto attachment. I
was very disappointed. Pictures were not sharp at all. I really like my
DX7630, but not with the attachment.

<jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> modes?
> 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> observations?
>
> Thanks.
> - Jim

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:38:50 PM

Thanks Don,
BUMMER !!!! Sorry to hear you don't like it -- I ordered one just the
other day. Did you take hand-held pictures? If so MAYBE the extra 2X
accentuated slight motion blurring. Just for fun, try one from a
tripod (if you didn't already).
Thanks again for the response.
- Jim

DonR wrote:
> I was finally able to get out today and try my 2X telephoto
attachment. I
> was very disappointed. Pictures were not sharp at all. I really like
my
> DX7630, but not with the attachment.
>
> <jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> > 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> > modes?
> > 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> > observations?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > - Jim

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:36:50 PM

Greetings Don,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I would be glad to share with you
on this if you can send along a sample image or share a site where I can
review one. There are lots of reasons why an image may not be sharp. One of
the tests I always suggest is to place the camera on a support (Tripod,
Table, or anything of the like), and use the timer to trip the shutter.
This way there are no direct movements that can be attributed to you. If
the image is still blurry or unsharp, then there is something going on with
the camera and or accessories. Be sure the lens is clean, the camera is set
correctly, i.e. let is go back to the defaults and set it full zoom then
other zoom settings. See if that changes anything.

Talk to you soon, Don, good luck!

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I was finally able to get out today and try my 2X telephoto attachment. I
> was very disappointed. Pictures were not sharp at all. I really like my
> DX7630, but not with the attachment.
>
> <jmalone3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Recently purchased a Kodak DX7630 and have a couple of questions.
> > 1. Where can I find the settings Kodak uses for the various scene
> > modes?
> > 2. Has anyone used the 2X telephoto attachment? What are your
> > observations?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > - Jim

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 11:08:52 AM

Don,
One more thing -- I noticed on page 23 of my manual that there is a
special focus setting of "accessory Lens AF". It appears to use only
the 'through the lens' focus feature. The other settings use both an
external focus sensor and TTL.

Good Luck.
Please let us know the results of any further experimenting you do.
Thanks.
- Jim
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:52:24 AM

I got my 2X converter for Christmas and tested it by mounting it on a
small tripod and taking a series of photos some trees about 30 yards
away with the following settings:
1. Accessory lens auto focus
2. Center Spot focus zone
3. Used the self timer
4. Program mode with ISO 100

I noticed that the focus WAS sharp with the 2X converter but the depth
of field was decreased. That is, branches from a tree about 20 yards
away were blurred compared to the tree 30 yards away.

I tried shooting the trees with the 2X converter using landscape mode.
All the trees were blurred.

Ran a second test like the first except focused on a building about a
mile away. The building was clearly focused and I did not notice a
depth of field problem (all the objects in the field of view were
pretty far away). Took another photo here using "landscape" mode and,
again, it was blurred. It's hard to imagine that an object a mile away
is not essentially at 'infinity'. Might have accidentally bumped the
camera or something ... don't know.

Bottom line is that the converter will take sharp pictures, but focus
is critical except (possibly) at great distances.
February 7, 2005 8:22:07 PM

>The adapter is easy to use and not too expensive, so you can employ any 37mm
>filters or other lens accessories in the thread size. Of course if you like
>you can get one of the lenses offered in our store or that are available at
>most retailers. Check them out. I found the camera to be exceptional in my
>personal use and I am betting you will too.
>
>Talk to you soon, Jim, let me know if you have any questions.
>
>Ron Baird
>Eastman Kodak Company

I narrowed my choice down after many hours of reading reviews and
getting more and more confused to the Nikon Coolpix 8700, the Minolta
Dimage A200. Reason being quiet turn on, fast turn on time, fast
continuous shoot as I shoot parrots in flight and baseballa nd
football games.

I tried hte Kodak DX7630 out in a store and unless I had a tripod the
zoom on it and my unsteady hand (I didn't think it moved) gave me
blurred pictures. Since it didn't have the feature to eliminate this I
deleted that one.

Comments please. I am tired of looking for a camera and have come to
the conclusion there is no perfect one out there. I made a mistake in
getting the Olympus that I had and don't want to make another costly
error at the tune of 599-700 dollars.

Thank you
February 8, 2005 12:12:58 AM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:22:07 GMT, tellme <whois@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>The adapter is easy to use and not too expensive, so you can employ any 37mm
>>filters or other lens accessories in the thread size. Of course if you like
>>you can get one of the lenses offered in our store or that are available at
>>most retailers. Check them out. I found the camera to be exceptional in my
>>personal use and I am betting you will too.
>>
>>Talk to you soon, Jim, let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>>Ron Baird
>>Eastman Kodak Company
>
>I narrowed my choice down after many hours of reading reviews and
>getting more and more confused to the Nikon Coolpix 8700, the Minolta
>Dimage A200. Reason being quiet turn on, fast turn on time, fast
>continuous shoot as I shoot parrots in flight and baseballa nd
>football games.

The A200 certainly does those, continuous shoot is OK, but for a long
continuous shooy you can only do 640x480, although you can shoot it as
a video and maybe take the frame you need out later,

the Shot to Shot time on the A200 can be slow depending on your
settings (RAW takes 3-5 seconds befoer the camera is useable again,
and the autofocus is sluggish in low light though so it may not be
ideal for you.

!