Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sata connections on new build

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2010 2:23:45 AM

I have the Asus p7p55d pro mobo, and 2 sata hd's, one for storage, one for OS, and a sata dvd+/_r. Any suggestions on the best way and what sata slots to put each in? For instance, which sata slot should I put primary hd in, storage hd, dvd? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

More about : sata connections build

April 10, 2010 3:07:38 AM

Just use the blue SATA headers for your Boot and Optical ... you should be good.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 10, 2010 3:32:03 AM

Alvin is correct but to add to it, I typically recommend your Boot drive to be the SATA_0 (First Numerical #), followed by the other hard drives and finish up the DVD drives or any eSATA connections. Your motherboard manual is another great resource, as majority of the recommend what should be connected in each slot (to a point).
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2010 3:40:59 AM

tecmo34 said:
Alvin is correct but to add to it, I typically recommend your Boot drive to be the SATA_0 (First Numerical #), followed by the other hard drives and finish up the DVD drives or any eSATA connections. Your motherboard manual is another great resource, as majority of the recommend what should be connected in each slot (to a point).

Great, should the boot be:
dvd
pri hdd
sec hdd
m
l

Best solution

April 10, 2010 3:43:37 AM

No

primary hd, slave hdd, dvd.

Otherwise bios will always try to look for a dvd boot first. ..shave a second off your boot time.
April 10, 2010 3:49:47 AM

+1+1+!+ . . . uh-hyup ... hyup ... uh-huh ... uh-huh.

= Al =
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 10, 2010 3:52:08 AM

^+1.... Correct
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:53:19 AM

Best answer selected by rugman1969.
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:53:43 AM

thankls all great and helpful infoI just got spammed on one of my posts, how do i report this?
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 10, 2010 3:59:28 AM

rugman1969 said:
thankls all great and helpful infoI just got spammed on one of my posts, how do i report this?

Well, you didn't pick me for the best answer why should I help.... JUST JOKING AROUND!!

You go to the specific spam post in your other thread and click on the "Report" button on the tag line of the other users post (where it says time of post, BBCode, etc). This reports it to the Mods.
m
l
April 10, 2010 4:09:04 AM

Because Tecmo you're a veteran and I need points? :) 

Also always set boot order to 1. hd 2. dvd. And disable floppy if it has.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 10, 2010 4:20:23 AM

fastx21 said:
:p 

Good answer :D 

Actually, if the points system ever gets fixed, I'm now an "Addict" not a Veteran (which seems about right sometimes :)  ).
m
l
April 10, 2010 4:34:59 AM

fastx21 said:

Also always set boot order to 1. hd 2. dvd. And disable floppy if it has.

So disable my 3 inch floppy?
m
l
April 10, 2010 4:40:44 AM

You should have to be newcomer for one week
youngster for two more ...
apprentice for 90 days ...
Regular for 6 months ... (AFTER the 90 days) ...
Veteran for one year ...
Addict for two more ...
Then ... MASTER !

... in ADDITION to doubling points requirements.

= hard arse =
m
l
April 10, 2010 9:30:35 PM

lol i am a veteran but hell, i learn stuff every day just trying to help other people out, that are to lazy to google it and read for them self. ( i should be a rookie+ ) :p 
m
l
April 11, 2010 12:00:56 AM

Niklas_13 said:
lol i am a veteran but hell, i learn stuff every day just trying to help other people out, that are to lazy to google it and read for them self. ( i should be a rookie+ ) :p 

As I said before, I ask here because I want a correct answer. If you google it, a lot of times it directs you back to this site anyway. Just because it's on google doesn't mean it's right. I might be listed as a youngster here, but I been around long enough to know where to go for a good answer.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 11, 2010 12:14:50 AM

rugman1969 said:
As I said before, I ask here because I want a correct answer. If you google it, a lot of times it directs you back to this site anyway. Just because it's on google doesn't mean it's right. I might be listed as a youngster here, but I been around long enough to know where to go for a good answer.

rugman1969... I don't think niklas_13 was directing his comments to you... just making a comment in general.

You were right to come here to get answers. Most users tell it to you straight and are here to help... We do this not for the money (well... my wife wishes I was getting paid though) but we do it because we generally like to help other users with their computer needs, along with learning from others when we haven't encountered a similar issue before.
m
l
April 11, 2010 12:18:40 AM

Don't let Nik fool you ... He is one of our better techs and it is very uncommon (highly unlikely) that he would be passing bad dope, wherever he gets it.

And don't you be fooled about the process, either. Everyone here has their specialties and all of us are research librarians. The really hard part is digging out the stuff that there is no way google will EVER find. Right now I have 4 Tom's reference tabs open and Wikipedia and 2 newegg sessions and several manufacturer's sites, all while downloading some poor sap's mobo manual(pdf) in my background.

There are techs here that maintain all sorts of build and subsystem spec folders and all that. This is all for fun and satisfaction. Pretty cool community.

= Welcome =
m
l
April 11, 2010 2:11:21 AM

:)  i was talking more about Alvins post
m
l
April 11, 2010 4:13:33 AM

I Apologize. I meant no disrespect in my answer, whether or not directed to me. But I do usually google for an answer, but rarely find a dependable one. That's why I ask so many questions here. I have a few friends that use this site, and they directed me to it for the proper answers, which is what I get here. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, as I am not really a newbie, but have not kept up with things for a while. I am definitly old school. I usually check out who answers me, and like it when they have Veteran attached to their name. That way I know I am getting some correct advice.
m
l
!