Need Advice on Budget HTPC

Wach

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within next 2-3 weeks but sooner if deals exist

BUDGET RANGE: would like to spend between $300 to $400 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: will mainly be using to watch HD movies (mkv), some internet surfing and streaming media (youtube ect and maybe netflix in the fututre), playing blu-ray. I would also like the potential to tranfer files over my home network or possibly stream video/music over the network.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have Windows 7 Home Premium and plan on hooking up to my Samsung PN50B550 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV via HDMI,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Open to any, have used Newegg in the past

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preferences

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 - Samsung PN50B550

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My almost sole use of this will be to hook up to my TV for playing HD content with some web surfing. I am not sure if I want to put a blu-ray drive in right away or in the future. I would also like something that could have some upgrades made in the future, but this is not a must given my low budget. I would also like something that is quiet with low heat.

Thank you do much for your help,

$377 AR
lkjsa.jpg

kjhl.jpg

Wach

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I found a deal on the same AMD CPU recommended above but with a Biostar TA790GX, for only $10 more. Would it be worth it to go with this motherboard? I couldn't tell what the differences would be.

Hmm you could try to have a look at :

Silverstone SG-02F
Aerocool M40
Thermaltake Lanbox lite

if shoeboxes are your thang ^^

TA790GX - which ones? Only TA790GX A3+ is AM3/DDR3 and those are ATX

gatornuke

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I used to be a loyal newegg customer, but lately they've been ticking me off. You can also buy from amazon.

$144.99 Motherboard: Gigabyte M1 Mini ITX DDR3 1066 Motherboard GA-E350N-USB3
This mobo actually has a built-in AMD E-350 CPU and a Radeon HD6310 graphics card.
$49.20 -- Case: MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply
Nice, small ITX case with built-in PSU and room for a Blu Ray Drive and Card Reader
$59.63 -- HDD: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA
$59.95 -- Blu-Ray: LG Electronics CH08LS10K LightScribe SATA Blu-ray Combo Drive

Total: $313.77 -- Not bad at all. I doubt if you can go any lower than that and still have something useful.