Xfx ATI 5750 problem

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I recently purchased the xfx ATI 5750, installed the card, plugged in the two aux connectors, but when I turn on my pc, the fans for my pc and the graphics card run at full speed but no display on my monitor. Any ideas? I upgraded my BIOS, anything else to try?
Also I am using a VGA to DVI connector cause my monitor only has a VGA connector (which I'm told shouldn't be an issue)
Please help

thanks.

Solution
I would try an RMA on the Video card first (either with the retailer if you are within their time period) or with the manufacturer- XFX has a lifetime warranty, so you shouldn't have trouble with that. Also- depending on the manufacturer of the Motherboard, you may still be in warranty on that and be able to RMA it with the manufacturer as well if the Video card RMA doesn't fix it. Hope you can replace what needs to be replaced without too much issue and get it running!

Emin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Either the GPU is malfuctioning or something's wrong with the connections (the adapter perhaps). So change the adapter first and if that doesn't work, send back the GPU. It's most probably the GPU but change the adapter first to rule that out.

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, i tried out my brothers working VGA to DVI connector and still no video on the monitor. I have a 300w PSU, do you think thats the problem? But power is getting to the video card, because the second I turn it on, the processor fan and the video card fan spins at full speed the whole time.
Normally (with the old video card) both fans would spin at full for a few seconds but then go down to normal speed while the OS is booting up.

isamuelson

Distinguished
You need at least a 450w power supply but I would recommend a 500w.

The fan itself doesn't require a whole heck of a lot to power it, but the card itself requires a minimum of 450w.

BTW, the 5750 only has 1 power supply connector and I know the XFX 5750 has just one. Not sure what you mean by two aux connectors.

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
What i meant by 2 aux connections, was from the graphics card there is a 6-pin connection but then splits out to two 3-pin connection to my PSU.

So, can I just swap out my old PSU and put in a new one without any conflicts on whether my motherboard can support it? My friend told me, that it depends on the motherboard on whether it can support a PSU that has higher wattage.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Okay, that makes sense.

As for your friend, don't worry about it. Where you really have problems is if you try to run your motherboard with an underpowered PSU.

Going 450-500w should be fine for you.

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
one last question before I head out to the store to buy a new PSU.

Lets pretend I have a 450 to 500 watt PSU already, would it be possible that my motherboard isn't recognizing the 5750? I'm told that a newer motherboard wouldn't have an issue with the 5750. So aside from the PSU issue, is it possible that my older board doesn't recognize a newer component (for example the 5750) ?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Jak- I don't think that is likely. If you don't have drivers installed, it should still be able to tell there is A video card there, and at least get something to display on it. Most likely, its the PSU. And actually- you don't need the full 450-500W supply. If you get a good quality one, you'll probably be ok with a 400W. The recommended minimum from the manufacturer is 450W, but that is for the whole system and has lots of padding added in. Your system will probably not pull anywhere close to 400W. Take a look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
You also will no longer need to use the 2xMolex to PCI-E adapter- you can just plug straight from the PSU to the GPU with the 6pin PCI-E plug already there:)

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
That PSU looks good and cheap. But when I'd like to get a 450W PSU, just in case. But the Corsair 450W is too much $$ for me. Can you guys recommend another good quality 450W PSU for under $40? Or should I chance it with the Corsair 400W??

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So i received the 400W corsair in the mail today, and just installed it. Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I power on the system with the 5750 and the video card fan and processor fan spin at full speed, and still no display.....Not sure what else to do. Return everything and call it a day? and unfortunately be reduced to playing old games...lol

isamuelson

Distinguished
You were using the 6 pin to 2x3 pin adapter that came with the XFX card, right? Does the new PS come with it's own 6-pin connector? If neither of those work, then I wonder if the card itself is bad? Also, did you try both HDMI output connectors on the card? I wonder if one is bad? Have you tried it in another computer, if possible? If it works there, then it's possibly an issue with your motherboard. If it doesn't work in another computer, then I think your video card is bad and you should RMA it.

jak0220

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I've tried the 6 pin adapter that came with the XFX card, and also tried the PS 6 pin connector. I haven't tried the HDMI output, all i have is a VGA to DVI connector, so I've tried both DVI ports in the video card. Its definitely motherboard (which means wait until i get a new computer) or video card is the issue (replace and try it again)

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would try an RMA on the Video card first (either with the retailer if you are within their time period) or with the manufacturer- XFX has a lifetime warranty, so you shouldn't have trouble with that. Also- depending on the manufacturer of the Motherboard, you may still be in warranty on that and be able to RMA it with the manufacturer as well if the Video card RMA doesn't fix it. Hope you can replace what needs to be replaced without too much issue and get it running!

Solution