Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible that I damaged my cpu fan?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
June 19, 2010 11:36:56 AM

So on thursday I was messing around trying to increase airflow in my case, and I blew a small household fan inside my PC. The secnod I turned it on, I heard my cpu fan rev up. I IMMEDIATELY turned the household fan off, and looked at hwmonitor to find my cpu fan had sped up to 8100rpm! It's the stock fan, and it's a phenom x6 1055t

But anyways, after about 10-15 mins total of intel burn test, and a lot of intense gaming, the fan is still holding up and performing great.

What are the chances that I greatly decreased the fan's life?

More about : damaged cpu fan

a c 913 à CPUs
June 19, 2010 12:48:49 PM

I would say that you have nothing to worry about!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2010 8:41:50 PM

I agree with rolli59, anyway household fans are easy to replace Target, Kmart etc,.
m
l
June 19, 2010 11:40:09 PM

roonj said:
I agree with rolli59, anyway household fans are easy to replace Target, Kmart etc,.

Note that I said CPU fan that I'm worried about, not household fan.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 12:16:58 AM

By making the fan run faster by putting an external air flow through it would cause the fan to draw less power and would not affect its life at all. What is not commonly appreciated is that the life of a fan is mainly determined by the temperature of the air flowing through it and that the life of a fan decreases dramatically with increasing temperature.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 1:59:24 AM

spongeguar said:
So on thursday I was messing around trying to increase airflow in my case, and I blew a small household fan inside my PC. The secnod I turned it on, I heard my cpu fan rev up. I IMMEDIATELY turned the household fan off, and looked at hwmonitor to find my cpu fan had sped up to 8100rpm! It's the stock fan, and it's a phenom x6 1055t

But anyways, after about 10-15 mins total of intel burn test, and a lot of intense gaming, the fan is still holding up and performing great.

What are the chances that I greatly decreased the fan's life?

Well whats causing it to rev up that high? temps?

Although as rolli said, you have nothing to worry about.

Even if the fan does fail, it'll be probably happen after you already got a new cpu. There really well made fan that were ment to last a long while.

Now if it does fail with in the 3 years of owning this cpu/fan (or just get tired of the noise from the fan High RPM), you can either

A. call up AMD and talk about a replacement as it should be under warranty.

B. get an after market cooler.

Now why the the cpu rpm that high is strange. Im not even sure if the cpu fans can get that high. Can you check the fan RPM in bios? that may give a correct reading as there maybe glitch or error with HWmonitor.
m
l
June 20, 2010 3:18:47 AM

warmon6 said:
Well whats causing it to rev up that high? temps?

Although as rolli said, you have nothing to worry about.

Even if the fan does fail, it'll be probably happen after you already got a new cpu. There really well made fan that were ment to last a long while.

Now if it does fail with in the 3 years of owning this cpu/fan (or just get tired of the noise from the fan High RPM), you can either

A. call up AMD and talk about a replacement as it should be under warranty.

B. get an after market cooler.

Now why the the cpu rpm that high is strange. Im not even sure if the cpu fans can get that high. Can you check the fan RPM in bios? that may give a correct reading as there maybe glitch or error with HWmonitor.

The fan is normally 3500 RPM max, on average 1800-2500 rpm while gaming.
it got really loud when I pointed the household fan on it, and I checked hwmonitor to find that it had revved up to 8100rpm.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. I wasn't doing anything specific at the time, it just sounded really loud, I turned the household fan off, and checked hwmonitor to find my cpu fan had been running at 8100rpm for about 3 seconds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 12:18:19 PM

spongeguar said:
The fan is normally 3500 RPM max, on average 1800-2500 rpm while gaming.
it got really loud when I pointed the household fan on it, and I checked hwmonitor to find that it had revved up to 8100rpm.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. I wasn't doing anything specific at the time, it just sounded really loud, I turned the household fan off, and checked hwmonitor to find my cpu fan had been running at 8100rpm for about 3 seconds.

yeah then, i wouldn't worry about it. It would have to be a much longer period of time to do anything harmful.
m
l
January 5, 2014 12:15:34 PM

You should be fine, as the computer was on. Though, never do this if your computer is off because the magnets in the fan could induce a current which could damage stuff on your mobo. But for this time, you are OK :) 
m
l
!