Dimension C521

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hey all thanks for stopping by...I have a Dell Dimension C521 and have a couple quick questions. First off, the case on this PC is broken, by that I mean I bought a videocard but after attaching it into the machine there was nothing to screw the card into as the pieces normally are gone.....And second I was reading on this forum that I can upgrade the CPU to Athlon 64 X2 6000+ works according to this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263746-28-dimension-c521-upgrade so I am looking for confirmation on this. Also can someone recommend me what to do about this case?

Thanks

shovenose

Distinguished
so this is your case:?
dell-c521-details.jpg

theres nothinhg to screw to. that blue piece clicks in and holds the cards in

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
that blue piece is what's missing....might have done a DVD ROM upgrade in the past and took it out for something, not sure why....As far as the CPU I have this in my box: AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.80GHz. 3GB of memory and a 400GB hard drive....HELP

shovenose

Distinguished
ok well the newer cpu will have a higher TDP (more heat),
so cooling may be a problem. the added amount of heat + dell crap cooling = maybe a problem. thats why i think you should get the pci slot fan. also to help cool your card.
as for the part, try ordering one from dell. or look to see if you can use screws after all.

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Basically buy a zip tie and after installing a new card zip tie it into the machine to the side in hopes that it will hold the card in place so it doesnt wobble. Or is it possible to buy a mid tower and move the parts to that case?