HD5850 wont post on Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 motherboard!

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Radeon HD5850 to post. I put in my old 8800GT and it started up no probs, but the the ATI doesn't want a bar of it!! also i noticed the amd overdrive doesn't give me option to live update profiles for the Black Edition RAM sticks! the update button is grayed out!
I'm confused :( ... I specifically bought all this gear on account of it is supposed to be plug and play compatible for idiots like my good self!..... not so!.... ah heck! Ive been on this for two days and just cant get anywhere with it! any suggestions guys? I have at one stage had the gt8800 and the radian in it, win7 found it ok and loaded drivers and i upgraded them to the latest ones. i got a picture out of the HD5850 when i unplugged the monitor from the gt8800 and plugged it to the 5850 but it was only about 600 resolution with no available option to change it in display panel. having had it working at that stage i uninstalled the gt8800 (in peg slot) shut it all down and took it out, then I changed the bios on reboot to from peg to peg1 that the radeon is installed on and saved it. when i rebooted there was no screen again. i had to take it out and put the gt back in the peg1 slot to get a screen back at boot, it seems everything does work but something is just not set right.

Specs:
Phenom™ II X4 QUAD CORE 955 'MBOX'
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 MOTHERBOARD
OCZ DDR3 Black Edition CL8 x2=4gb
MSI ATI Radeon HD 5850
Corsair TX-950
Cooler Master STORM SNIPER Case
Win7 Ultimate

oktakill

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
yes both of them, it has power it just doesn't post and the correct slot is selected in the bios but still no joy. Ive already tried everything on the link to. cheers anyway champ