UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

I've notice a couple of days ago that after I shut down the computer, I could hear for a few seconds a faint squealing sound, very faint. This sound rises it's pitch and after a few seconds it disappears. It's length is so short that I can't identify it's source. Another issue is that it doesn't always appear after the shutdown.

Since in summer the temperature in my room can reach 30-31 degrees Celsius (sometimes even higher), I came to think that maybe it's heat related somehow. But since I can't point out the source of this faint noise I can't come any certain conclusion and thus a specific action to take.

The computer runs normally in rest, as well as in full load.

If anyone had a similar problem I would welcome some advice.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Everything is spinning normally, I checked that out. Although something happened, I switched the psu off and then I turned it on again. The psu fan started spinning and after 5 seconds it stopped. It's the only time this happened, after I tried to switch it off and then on again. The psu it's a corsair 550vx which is a pretty tough one. On my case I also have 4x120mm fans to assure me with a good airflow.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Squealing is usually a capacitor leaking or a transformer calling for help. Earlier forms of capacitors will make a hissing sound. I would definitely try another PSU as this will tell you if it's coming from inside that or the motherboard. There are not Transformers on the motherboard but there are capacitors a plenty.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Plus, I can't change something until I know for sure what part needs to be changed. And this faint faint noise doesn't appear all the times. I don't even know if it is the psu, all I can do is listen, each time I shut down the computer, and maybe when it happens I will identify the source.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Another thing I've noticed today. I've ran prime95 ( the test for max heat, power consumption ) for 10 minutes, after that I immediately closed the pc. The noise appeared and it was at the psu. I've tried the same test 2 more times with the same result. The third time I didn't close the pc immediately after the test and I let it cool out for 2 minutes. After I closed it the noise didn't appear.

Is it possible that after intense cpu operations and maximum heat dissipasion, like prime95, if you close the pc right away the heat isn't cooled down properly and thus some components might respond by generating the noise I heard ?

And another question ... is this normal ?

Thanks