HIS Radeon 5770 not responding

doomgun

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm suffering from the "display driver not responding and has successfully recovered" crash just like many other people, and here's the full story of how it happened.

Original Spec:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 Ghz with ASUS V60 cooler
GPU: GigaByte Nvidia 8600 GT 512 MB
Motherboard: GigaByte GA P31-S3L
RAM: Kingston 2x1GB kits DDR2 @ 667Mhz
PSU: Generic "SHAW" PSU 600w
HDD: SATA Seagate 320GB HDD
Disc Reader/Writer: ASUS 18x SATA LightScribe DVD RW

I built this system back in October 2007, and it was running totally fine up until 2009 where I purchased a HIS Radeon HD5770. When I got the card I did un-install my old nvidia gpu driver before installing the new one for ATI card. It was running pretty smoothly for couple months, but starting from November 2009 my PC (which now has the HIS 5770 swapped in) started to shut down straight away without any warnings while running 3D graphical programs. The way it shuts down is the power just cuts off immediately and theres nothing I can do besides pressing the power button to start up my pc again.

My friend suggested it could either be a overheating, or my PSU isn;t powerful enough to support HIS 5770, since its just a geniune brand and not really reliable. After doing some little research about reliable PSUs, I've decided to sacrificed my original birthday present to get Antec TP 750w PSU. Once I got it, I've installed it straight away and the power outage problem was gone. however I was happy for not long enough.

Soon after I've changed PSU, I start to get experience a 5-10 second screen freeze whenever I use 3D graphic programs, followed by a completed black screen, for another 5-10 seconds, then I see this message:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/doomgun/5770Failed.jpg

This freeze up happens average every 10-15 minutes and sometimes it doesn't show the message in the screen shot above, instead the pc just completely stay frozen with no response from pressing any key on keyboard or mouse, and only choice is to press the reset button. Also I am on the latest driver downloaded from AMD website.

Next thing I tried is to format my computer and install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit version, downloaqded newest driver for win7 again, but didn;t work as well, and showed up the popular "Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered." message at the bottom right of the screen. What makes it even worse is when I was still using windows XP SP2 the program I was running will resume after the temporary freeze up, but now on windows 7 the program will crash and windows says it needs to be terminated.

Please If there is any solution for my case please let me know, warmest regards to those who would provide assistance.

Cheers :wahoo:

This is not a hardware problem.

It's a common problem. It also occurs with Nvidia cards except the error is "nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

There are numerous forums dedicated to this problem way back to 2008. There does not seem to be any one fix that works for everyone.

Here's how I fixed it.
Uninstall your ati drivers and catalyst control center.
Re-boot the computer and let windows use it's own drivers.
Download driversweeper and uninstall anything ati or nvidia related.
Re-boot the computer and install your display driver only from ATI's website. DO NOT INSTALL CCC.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.
If this does not fix your problem it is most likely failing memory on the card that is causing this, had that happen to me with an x1900GT with all your symptoms.

doomgun

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Just did what zipzoomflyhigh suggested, followed every exact step and still doesn't fix the problem. Now it simply says the game I was playing has encountered a problem and windows has to force it to close right away, instead of recovering. If it is failing memory that means my only option left is RMA?

doomgun

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I never overclock any of my CPU or GPU, including this HIS Radeon 5770. The closest thing to overclocking which I did is manually over ride the GPU fan speed to stay at 80%, this was a another proposed method to solve the problem with my graphic card, it worked for others, unfortunately not for me.