aa12

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi all,
I have just built a computer and it seem to be working fine in all aspects except for a start up problem. When I press the power button the computer starts up (well the fans do, I can see them thought the cover 'Thermaltake M9 case' with blue LED fans) and then everything stops immediately for about 3 - 6 seconds before the computer stats up again. once that's done the computer runs normally...I have done burn tests, benchmarks and have been monitoring the temperatures of the pc with normal use for about 2 days now with no problems at all. However I did noticed that this odd incident only happens when I turn off the power supply (Thermaltake EVO blue 650W ) from the back switch or disconnect the power cable from the plug. If I left the power cable plugged in then the computer stats up normally with no problem at all. I am not sure if this is some in-built feature of the power supply.., but this is really starting to worry me since this is my first computer build and I would like to use this pc for a least couple of years. If anyone knows anything about this problem or have encountered it before please let me know. thank you

Why are you turning off the switch at the back of the power supply? Since it only occurs when you have unplugged it or turned off the PSU's power switch there is a simple solution to your problem. Leave it plugged in and dont turn off your PSU.

Your PSU may be running some sort of start test of its own, or it might be of your motherboards doing. What are the other components in your system?

aa12

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Motherboard : Asus P7P55D-E
RAM : Patriot Gamer PGS34G1600 ELKA 4GB DDR3 x2
HDD : Seagate SATA 2 500BG x2 in RAID 0
VGA : ASUS EAH 5770
CPU : i7 860 (have not overclocked any component yet )
Optical drives : SATA Blu-Ray Combo Samsung
Asus DVD RW
CASE : Thermaltake M9
PSU : Thermaltake EVO Blue Gaming 650W

"Why are you turning off the switch at the back of the power supply? Since it only occurs when you have unplugged it or turned off the PSU's power switch there is a simple solution to your problem. Leave it plugged in and dont turn off your PSU. "

I'm worried that this is problem may reduce the life-span of the pc if the PSU is defective or cause damage to its other components

The behavior that you describe is not unusual. Unfortunately, you pretty much have two choices: turn off the PSU and put up with the behavior or leave the PSU power switch on.

I have a "workhorse" machine that I pretty much only turn off when I go on vacations. It's been running constantly (mostly) for about 6 years. I also have a torrent box (built out of leftover parts) that runs constantly.