Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can RAID 0+1 be made with SSD's in 0 and an HD for the mirror?

Last response: in Storage
May 16, 2012 3:24:15 AM

Specifically, could I take 4 64 GB SSD's and make a striped array, then nest those in, and mirror then with a 256G (or larger) regular HD?

And would the slower performance of the HD slow down the array such that the purpose of such an array (Speed my man, I feel the need, the need for speed) would be defeated?

I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

More about : raid made ssd mirror

a c 95 G Storage
May 16, 2012 5:56:56 AM

will not work since both sides of the RAID10 require the same amount of drives

also it would run at less than HDD speed
m
l

Best solution

a c 302 G Storage
May 16, 2012 2:59:23 PM

I disagree with Emerald's first statement. With the right RAID controller, you can nest volumes. You treat the 4 SSDs as a volume, then RAID that volume with an HDD.

However, the performance would suck. Write speed would be limited by the hard drive.

-------------------

Unasked-for advice: If your reason for mirroring is to make your system less likely to fail, buy four more SSDs. If it's to provide a backup, backups should be external, not internal. You can get a NAS, or a Windows Home Server box, and do Continuous Backup from your system volume to the remote drive.

Plus, don't RAID the SSDs. If you haven't bought them yet, you will get better performance by buying a bigger SSD. The manufacturer does a better job of optimizing access to twice the flash than your motherboard will: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/kigsto... . If you already have the SSDs, I would simply break up my installation with the OS on one, games on another, data on a third, pagefile (!) and scratch space on the fourth....
Related resources
May 18, 2012 2:34:02 AM

Best answer selected by Ladamyre.
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:50:38 AM

Thanks WyomingKnott, I flagged yours as the best answer. I suspected the HD writes would gum the plan up.

Actually I'll confess my true purpose for the question. I remember playing an old flight simulator game called X-Wing out of a DOS 6.2 startup menu loading the entire game into a Ram Disk and playing it from there. Thinking I want that kind of speed with Skyrim, I've been researching to find a way to do that and not risk losing save game data on my next build.

And I've found a way to do this because I've seen a video on Motherboards.org that is a tutorial on a program that makes RamDisks. I had thought we lost the ability years ago when Windows95 stole it from us!

The plan now is to use a 64G SSD for a boot drive only, have a reliable internal HD to save my games and other data on, then spending an extra $100 or so for more memory than I really need, make a RamDisk big enough to load Skyrim and my other stuff into and play from RAM. Just a few batch files to load up and clear when done for all my games and I'm done.

And it should be, according to that video, ten times faster than if it was run from an SSD!

Hooahh!
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:02:14 PM

I have a similar question. People say you need atleast 4 drives to make a raid 0+1 but I have also heard people say you can do it with 3 drives? Because I want to get an ssd as my system drive and an hdd drive for everything else and have those two in raid 0 then get a third hdd to mirror the raid 0.

Has anyone actually tried this?
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:28:47 AM

Mitsoku1 said:
I have a similar question. People say you need atleast 4 drives to make a raid 0+1 but I have also heard people say you can do it with 3 drives? Because I want to get an ssd as my system drive and an hdd drive for everything else and have those two in raid 0 then get a third hdd to mirror the raid 0.

Has anyone actually tried this?
No need to try that. RAID 0 will write and read data from it's two drives as if they were one drive, so the speed of the array will be the summed average speed of it's two drives divided by two, if two drives are used. For instance (and mathematical simplicity): If drive 0 speed is 20 (HD) and drive 1 speed is 20,000 (SSD), the speed of the array will be 10,010.

Don't waste the capabilities of an SSD doing RAID 0 with a hard disk!

That would be a bad thing. :non: 
m
l
!