Sign in with
Your question

New to AMD FX-6300 OC Settings OK?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2013 3:56:53 PM

Hello Techies :hello: 

New to OCing AMD that being said, aiming for stable at 4.5GHz, is this out of line, is it safe for the long haul? I had*cross' fingers* an issue with a core dropping out in Prime95 due to rounding errors, my RAM timings were off and I tweaked the voltage .05 v, seems to be working, Prime has been running for an hour*looks over shoulder*. I will post some of my settings here and would like to know if I have anything set up wrong or way out of line like voltages or speeds. Also I am just OCing with the multiplier as I don't want to mess with the memory timings OCing the NB, what is your opinion on this with the new processors, I've been told It doesn't matter as much with the new processors.

Specs:
MoBo: ASRock 960GM/U3S3
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Heat Sink: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO
PSU: APEVIA ATX-TL450W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
GPU: EVGA Gforce GTX 550Ti

I realize some of these are sub-par but its what I had laying around from rebuilding others computers, other than the MB and CPU I bought them new, I will replace anything if necessary.

OC Settings:
CPU Freq-200MHz
CPU Dync Overclock-Disabled
PCIE Freq- 100MHz
AMD C-State Support-Disabled
AMD APM Auto
CPU Freq multiplier- x22.5 4500MHz
CPU Voltage- 1.525V ----This seems high to me as an Intel guy, My i5 only took 1.35v at 4.5GHz
NB Freq Multiplier- x10 2000Mhz
NB Voltage-1.2875V
HT Bus Speed-Auto
HT Bus Width-Auto
RAM Speed and Timings- 533MHz DDR3_1066
Timings 7-7-7-18
Dram Voltage-1.55V
Also have Cool and Quiet enabled, is this bad?

Temps idle at 14-15 degrees C and while running P95 max out at 53 are these temps ok? (Its winter here and its only 69 F in my house ;)  )

Couple Questions It's been said that messing with the HT Speed doesn't effect the Piledriver Chips like previous ones. I set the HT speeds to auto just because I have no idea what to do with them.

Thanks in advance to the people smarter than me.

More about : amd 6300 settings

March 1, 2013 4:11:55 PM

The temps are ok but you may want to run Prime95 to check for errors. Also I would recommend a better cpu cooler. The one you have isn't much better than the stock heat sink.
March 1, 2013 4:14:45 PM

ikes9711 said:
The temps are ok but you may want to run Prime95 to check for errors. Also I would recommend a better cpu cooler. The one you have isn't much better than the stock heat sink.

It's been running for 1 1/2 hours with no errors now after the RAM tweaks listed above. Cooler seems to be working OK if I can stay around 50-60 under load it should work right?
Edit: The cooler fan is only at 50% too
!