Solved Closed

Installed new dvd-writer still unable to watch movie

Hardware shows in device manager. Cannot get movie to play in new dvd-writer. What do I need to do?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed writer unable watch movie
  1. Best answer
    Hi. Download and install VLC player
  2. Do you mean that the new DVD writer is recognised in your hardware profile but you cannot play DVDs ??? You should re-install the sriver disk that came with the DVD writer.
  3. mibix19 said:
    Hi. Download and install VLC player

Thank-you for taking the time to help me.

I have a HP Pavillion a564n desktop, 32 bits.

Have updated drivers.

I am in need of a free DVD decoder for Windows XP that does not need to be connected to the internet in order to operate. I have only 5 gigabytes a month. I want to watch movies on computer; by just turning on and double click Windows Media Player.

Can you suggest a download, or do I need to purchase from Microsoft?

Thanks
  4. Hello

Here is the latest. Downloaded VLC, but movie comes in like a news reporter telecast from Iraq. Very jagged and broken. Also, fuzzy.

I have Windows XP.

Thanks again for your help!
  5. Try GOM media player sometimes it is better than VLC, You could also try K-Lite codec pack. These are all old established programs and are free to DL.

Try copying the movie files to a holding folder on your harddrive and playing them from there. If they play OK then it IS a fault with your DVD drive if they do NOT then it may be a fault with the video files themselves. Some video files downloaded need special codecs to play...
  6. Over a 2 yr old thread is not likely to be visited again or still looking for a fix.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Hardware Movies DVD Writers Device Manager Windows XP