Raystorm rx240?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Alright guys so I really want to break into WC and have decided it would be best for me to start with an all in one kit. I have been doing research and used some previous suggestions from you guys and have really narrowed it down to the Raystorm RX240 although I would really like the new Swiftech H220 but they haven't even dropped yet and there is no confirmed date. The only thing I will be cooling for the moment is my CPU but maybe sometime down the road my GPU as well... although I am not concerned with the GPU right now. Does the RX240 allow me to expand my WC operation down the road or am I stuck because it doesn't have the d5 pump? I am not willing to drop the extra $100+ for the d5 pump variant to be honest. What do you guys think about the rx240 overall? Or would I be better off purchasing something else?
I plan on putting it into the NZXT Switch 810 case, also I'm not sure whether or not the rad will be pushing or pulling? I would like to mount the rad on the top of the case, so I assume the fans will be pointing down towards the case obviously right? How do I configure them...to push or to pull? Also, this kit comes with everything I need besides the liquid correct? I will just be using plain old distilled water...?

Also, I would like to go from the stock clear tubing to a different solid color (most likely white), this is possible right? But what type/diameter hose would I be purchasing?
Do you recommend I get "better" fans for the radiator? Also would I have room to do a push/pull configuration at the top of the case and is it possible with this rad?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

The pump is plenty powerful enough even if you wanted to add your GPU into the loop, no need to go for the D5.

Other people that have watercooled in the 810 have squeezed in a 60MM thick rad with push/pull so you should be alright, though I will say that push/pull is usually a poor investment as temps don't drop much (maybe a few degree's) vs just push or just pull.

Just get the same diameter hosing that's listed in the description of the kit, that way you know it's compatible.

Just use distilled water and a kill coil.

Gentle typhoons AP-15's, Noctua NF-P12's, Corsair's SP120 High perf range ETC... are all good radiator fans.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Okay so you really don't suggest push/pull ... also what do you mean a kill coil I have no idea what that is exactly? When I have it all set up and am ready to test it do I just put the distilled water in... some people I see (in their videos) putting some sort of liquid droplets into their reservoir before the distilled water.

A silver kill coil prevents bacteria growth.

You've probably seen other people add drops of concentrated Dye or Biocide.

Have you read the W/C sticky?