Solved

SLI 9800GT, or get new DX11 card?

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics sometime soon, so I was wondering, would I get better performance from upgrading my current (9800gt) card to SLI, or just buying a new card? (note-I currently dont have an SLI ready mobo, but don't factor that in because I'll be upgrading that before I upgrade my graphics) My resolution is 1680x1050, if that helps any.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 9800gt dx11 card
  1. Best answer
    A single more powerful card is usually a better (more problem free) solution than SLI/Crossfire of 2 less powerful cards.
  2. rolli59 said:
    A single more powerful card is usually a better (more problem free) solution than SLI/Crossfire of 2 less powerful cards.

+1
  3. Alright, but which would give me better performance for the money?
  4. buy a new card hopefully better than 5770 or 260GTX they are upgrades but not as far you will want to go
  5. But the 5770 and 260gtx are also a lot more expensive; I can get a 9800gt for under $100 at some places.
  6. rjkucia said:
    But the 5770 and 260gtx are also a lot more expensive; I can get a 9800gt for under $100 at some places.

If you figure in the cost of the new motherboard (unless you are doing a full upgrade MB, CPU and etc) would make the 9800GT more expensive.
  7. rolli59 said:
    If you figure in the cost of the new motherboard (unless you are doing a full upgrade MB, CPU and etc) would make the 9800GT more expensive.

I'm upgrading my motherboard and cpu anyways, so I'm not going to take that into account right now.
  8. If your power supply is up to the task of running 2x9800GT in SLI versus a single HD5770 then you get a little more performance for the money in games that support SLI.
  9. I checked a PSU calculator, and it seems that my 500 watt PSU is more than enough for the task. This brings me to my second question - when I purchase a motherboard, how will I know if it supports SLI? To my knowledge, only those with Nvidia or new Intel chipsets do, but I don't know which ones. Also, is Crossfire supported on all of these platforms (in case I decide just to get a new ATI card)?
  10. Best answer selected by rjkucia.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance SLI Graphics