Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 - 5.1 Surround help!

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
June 19, 2010 7:14:23 PM

Hey there! I'm running on a windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system.

I'm using the sound card that comes with the Rampage 2 Extreme motherboard, which is the "SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card".

I just recently bought a samsung home theater surround set from samsung and I'm having problems getting 5.1 for my games, I only seem to be able to get stereo out!

I'm using an optic cable from the receiver to the back of my PC.

Here's the thing, when I go to the sound options, doubleclick the SPDIF (which is my standard sound receiver thing) and click TEST on either of the 2 "DTS Audio" or "Dolby Digital" I get sound from all 5 speakers, but not from anything else. No games, no music, not the system error sounds, nothing. I JUST seem to be getting 5.1 from testing! Also, if I jump a few tabs to the left and go to "Advanced" I only seem to have a list of 2-channel options.

2 channel, 16-bit 4800hz
2 channel 16-bit 88200hz
ETC
ETC
ETC

I assume there should be 5,1 options there?

My drivers are up to date and apparantly there IS 5.1 going on, considering both TESTING gives me 5,1 and DVD movies are in 5.1. I just DON'T seem to be able to get 5.1 for anything else, is there an option I'm missing? I've tried nearly everything now and after several hours of looking I thought I'd come here for help.

Please do ask if you need additional information but keep in mind I'm no expert when it comes to sound, so please do present solutions in an easy way if possible =)

So RECAP: I get 5.1 for movies and when TESTing, but nothing for video games (Example; Left 4 dead 2 or Burnout: Paradise).

More about : win surround

June 20, 2010 6:13:21 AM

Well all music and system sounds will only come out of the front left and right channels. I find that with some games you will have to go into the games option menu and change the audio options to 5.1. Since its working for movies and testing that tells me its setup right via the soundcard the problem most likely is within the game options.
June 20, 2010 6:21:17 AM

The 5.1 test is testing your speakers ability to play Dolby Digital or DTS, not 5.1 sound. Dolby Digital and DTS are sound formats found predominantly on DVDs and BluRay. That's why you are getting sound from all channels in movies.

Digital Optical only has the bandwidth for 2 channels. Dolby Digital and DTS were created to work around that by compressing a 6 or 8 channels into a single signal. Sound in games are not natively in Dolby Digital or DTS format.

In order to get full surround from games you need to use HDMI, which has the bandwidth for 8 full channels.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 20, 2010 11:35:58 AM

saaiello said:
Well all music and system sounds will only come out of the front left and right channels. I find that with some games you will have to go into the games option menu and change the audio options to 5.1. Since its working for movies and testing that tells me its setup right via the soundcard the problem most likely is within the game options.

I had already done that, no difference though.
Anonymous
June 20, 2010 11:37:08 AM

astrallite said:
The 5.1 test is testing your speakers ability to play Dolby Digital or DTS, not 5.1 sound. Dolby Digital and DTS are sound formats found predominantly on DVDs and BluRay. That's why you are getting sound from all channels in movies.

Digital Optical only has the bandwidth for 2 channels. Dolby Digital and DTS were created to work around that by compressing a 6 or 8 channels into a single signal. Sound in games are not natively in Dolby Digital or DTS format.

In order to get full surround from games you need to use HDMI, which has the bandwidth for 8 full channels.

So there's absolutely no way for me to get 5.1 surround in games without using a HDMI cable? Because then I have a problem =/ My soundcard doesn't have a HDMI spot and the receiver only has HDMI out
June 20, 2010 12:24:16 PM

I am not 100% sure on that but I dont think you need an HDMI cable. Have you tried doing an Analog connection and see how that sounds.
Anonymous
June 20, 2010 12:57:27 PM

Not sure how to setup an analog connection or what it is, to be honest. =/

June 20, 2010 7:12:20 PM

saaiello said:
I am not 100% sure on that but I dont think you need an HDMI cable. Have you tried doing an Analog connection and see how that sounds.

Dolby Digital Live compression from the sound card is possible. I don't know if his sound card can do that.
June 20, 2010 7:37:53 PM

To run analog you need to look for "MULTI CH INPUT" on the back of your receiver. Not all receivers have this though, and I wouldn't be surprised because it sounds like you are running a home-theater-box system.
Anonymous
June 20, 2010 10:46:30 PM

Yeah, you're right. I am running a home-threater-boxx system so it's very limited, what I can do. There's no MULTI CH input behind it either so my only option would be to get the optical cable to work with 5.1 for games.

Is there no software I can use either? I tried ALchemy but it didn't seem to be doing any difference, wasnt' even 100% sure what it did.
June 20, 2010 11:48:45 PM

Unless your X-Fi control panel has an option for Dolby Digital Live encoding, you are SOL. Computer games are designed to be played back by multimedia speakers, so they output 6 channel discrete sound through 3 stereo minijack ports. Only video games are natively Dolby Digital since they are designed to be connected to home theater equipment.
!