I just did my first major rebuild since I bought the venerable AMD FX60 dual core many, many moons ago. I wouldn't have upgraded now but the MSI mobo finally kicked the bucket so here I am. As part of my new build I replaced my 2 500 Mb Samsung HDD's with a 256 Plextor SDD and a 3TB Seagate Cuda. Now I've done a lot of the Win 7 SSD Tweaks, and flashed to the latest firmware for the SSD and bios for the Mobo. However when I run performance tests on my HDD's the Seagate has consistently faster reads and writes than the Plex SSD. I'm completely at a loss to explain this. I'll post the actual figures and the name of the testing software when I get home still I don't understand this at all.
Your motherboard has 4 SATA ports. Two of the ports are SATA 1.0 (1.5Gb/s), and the other two are SATA 2.0 (3Gb/s).
You probably have your SSD connected to one of the SATA 1.0 ports (SATA_RAID1 or SATA_RAID2). With your SSD connected to one of these ports you will get maximum Read/Write speeds of 150MB/s.
Connect your SSD to port SATA1 or SATA2. See page 2-3 of your motherboard manual for the location of these ports.
Also, the port any SSD is connected to needs to be in AHCI mode for best performance.
Your motherboard does not support AHCI mode so that will reduce the performance of any SSD.
I thought so too but I downloaded Plextools for SSD's (it's mostly worthless drivel) and it shows that I'm getting 6GPS throughput on my SSD so I'm still confused. I made sure I had put the SSD in a SATA 3 port and used a SATA three cable. Here are my system specs. Should've posted this first!
SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 800W ATX 12V v2.3
XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
install AMD's RaidXpert and run it. Select your SSD from the drives listed and then on the settings tab make sure NCQ is on. Your drivewrs disk may have had an older AHCI drive on it which would default to having NCQ turned off.