Finished T3 - anything else?

I played T3 for the first time on the hardest difficulty level, and
quite frankly found it a little easy, if somewhat frustrating finding
the last little bit of loot. Anyone have suggestions for replay value
at this point? For example in T1 I could lead a Hammerite down into
the mines where he'd fight a zombie. That kind of thing.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:16:57 GMT, Dan Stephenson <stephedanospam@mac.com>
    wrote:

    >I played T3 for the first time on the hardest difficulty level, and
    >quite frankly found it a little easy, if somewhat frustrating finding
    >the last little bit of loot. Anyone have suggestions for replay value
    >at this point? For example in T1 I could lead a Hammerite down into
    >the mines where he'd fight a zombie. That kind of thing.

    I don't know if they ever patched it but the way it was released T3 would
    revert to the easy difficulty level anytime you reloaded the game.
    Someone came up with a program to keep it set to the difficulty you chose
    - it was called Thiefbot.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> kirjoitti
    viestissä:1109573703.ab70f5708e2b890685c958ea7301ef7b@teranews...
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:16:57 GMT, Dan Stephenson <stephedanospam@mac.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I played T3 for the first time on the hardest difficulty level, and
    >>quite frankly found it a little easy, if somewhat frustrating finding
    >>the last little bit of loot. Anyone have suggestions for replay value
    >>at this point? For example in T1 I could lead a Hammerite down into
    >>the mines where he'd fight a zombie. That kind of thing.
    >
    > I don't know if they ever patched it but the way it was released T3 would
    > revert to the easy difficulty level anytime you reloaded the game.
    > Someone came up with a program to keep it set to the difficulty you chose
    > - it was called Thiefbot.

    Oh, they patched it. Dan, was your game patched or not? If it wasn't, no
    wonder it felt easy. Still, even with the patch, it isn't very difficult to
    a seasoned taffer. But with Thiefbot you can vary several individual
    parameters that affect the overall difficulty, and set it to any difficulty
    you like, even to a much higher difficulty than what the game offers
    patched.

    What comes to the replayability, you could of course try and change your
    faction status. It isn't a great change, but offers some variety.

    - Mika L
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Dan Stephenson wrote:

    > I played T3 for the first time on the hardest difficulty level, and
    > quite frankly found it a little easy, if somewhat frustrating finding
    > the last little bit of loot. Anyone have suggestions for replay value
    > at this point? For example in T1 I could lead a Hammerite down into
    > the mines where he'd fight a zombie. That kind of thing.

    Playing it once was enough for me. I doubt I will even load it again
    until FM's come out for it.
    Not much replayability factor or, like what Mida said, change your
    faction status.
    Albert
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    In article <1109573703.ab70f5708e2b890685c958ea7301ef7b@teranews>,
    Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:16:57 GMT, Dan Stephenson <stephedanospam@mac.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I played T3 for the first time on the hardest difficulty level, and
    > >quite frankly found it a little easy, if somewhat frustrating finding
    > >the last little bit of loot. Anyone have suggestions for replay value
    > >at this point? For example in T1 I could lead a Hammerite down into
    > >the mines where he'd fight a zombie. That kind of thing.
    >
    > I don't know if they ever patched it but the way it was released T3 would
    > revert to the easy difficulty level anytime you reloaded the game.
    > Someone came up with a program to keep it set to the difficulty you chose
    > - it was called Thiefbot.

    I played on the hardest level with the patch installed.

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    One 'cool' thing was in the later stages of the game, to get massive
    street battles initiated between the Pagans and the Hammerites. Bodies
    would litter the steets - very disturbing.

    Oh well, I guess a really hard level like The Bank in Thief II really
    spoiled me. But that one level in T3 where you sneak through the
    Keeper's back areas was pretty neat.

    Maybe what I need is the eventual Arx Fatalis 2, but where being
    anything other than a tank-like fighter is a long-term option.

    That, or Fan Missions for T3. Or shoot, having gotten a new computer a
    year ago, I could try re-installing T1 and T2 and playing some of those
    fan missions. Yeah, I'll try to find those old CDs... say, wasn't
    there some command line option needed to install them in Windows XP?

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Dan Stephenson" <stephedanospam@mac.com> kirjoitti
    viestissä:020320052312558221%stephedanospam@mac.com...
    > One 'cool' thing was in the later stages of the game, to get massive
    > street battles initiated between the Pagans and the Hammerites. Bodies
    > would litter the steets - very disturbing.

    Right, very disturbing, annoying, nonsensical -- it really didn't work for
    me, I kind of made the whole game feel like a stupid 3D shooter at that
    point. Everyone fighting, the guards, the mages, pagans, etc., etc., simply
    mayhem. Bewildering. Didn't like it.

    > Oh well, I guess a really hard level like The Bank in Thief II really
    > spoiled me.

    I love that mission! First City Bank and Trust -- wow. I've played it so
    many times, but what makes this level so special to me is that after years
    of playing and thinking that the roof was inaccessible (couldn't mantle up
    at one point due to slightly wrong position, thought it can't be done and
    forgot about it), a year or so back I managed to get up to the roof! I
    must've been laughing and cheering out loud, I was so excited about it ;)

    > That, or Fan Missions for T3.

    The Thief III Editor's Guild at the TTLG is buzzing with activity, and I'm
    sure we'll be seeing T3 FMs quite soon. For seasoned authors, especially
    for those with experience on the UnrealEd, the jump to T3Ed is just a small
    one, and on the whole the editor is much more polished than the possessed (I
    swear) Dromed. The biggest challenge right now is to come up with an
    effective way for distributing the levels, so that you wouldn't have to have
    the editor installed (at a whopping 320 megabytes) in order to play them.

    > Or shoot, having gotten a new computer a
    > year ago, I could try re-installing T1 and T2 and playing some of those
    > fan missions. Yeah, I'll try to find those old CDs... say, wasn't
    > there some command line option needed to install them in Windows XP?

    Yes, use the '-lgntforce' option for the setup.exe, as in
    'setup -lgntforce'. That should do it, if it doesn't work otherwise.

    - Mika L
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    In article <d06fvn$jt$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
    <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

    > > Or shoot, having gotten a new computer a
    > > year ago, I could try re-installing T1 and T2 and playing some of those
    > > fan missions. Yeah, I'll try to find those old CDs... say, wasn't
    > > there some command line option needed to install them in Windows XP?
    >
    > Yes, use the '-lgntforce' option for the setup.exe, as in
    > 'setup -lgntforce'. That should do it, if it doesn't work otherwise.
    >
    > - Mika L

    Hey thanks, it's installing now. I'll assume the same thing is needed
    for Thief 2.

    Then I'm going to thebig FM site and start checking things out!

    Oh - maybe I ought to play through Bafford's first to get the hang of
    things!

    I recall ratings for the FMs... but can anyeon recommend one that
    really pushings the graphical limits of the Dark Engine?

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Dan Stephenson" <stephedanospam@mac.com> kirjoitti
    viestissä:030320052047338093%stephedanospam@mac.com...
    > In article <d06fvn$jt$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, Mika Latokartano
    > <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> > Or shoot, having gotten a new computer a
    >> > year ago, I could try re-installing T1 and T2 and playing some of those
    >> > fan missions. Yeah, I'll try to find those old CDs... say, wasn't
    >> > there some command line option needed to install them in Windows XP?
    >>
    >> Yes, use the '-lgntforce' option for the setup.exe, as in
    >> 'setup -lgntforce'. That should do it, if it doesn't work otherwise.
    >>
    >> - Mika L
    >
    > Hey thanks, it's installing now. I'll assume the same thing is needed
    > for Thief 2.

    Quite right.

    > Then I'm going to thebig FM site and start checking things out!

    Way to go, thiefmissions.com will provide all that you need :)

    > Oh - maybe I ought to play through Bafford's first to get the hang of
    > things!
    >
    > I recall ratings for the FMs... but can anyeon recommend one that
    > really pushings the graphical limits of the Dark Engine?

    There are loads of FMs that deserve to be mentioned, but I'll just suggest a
    few FMs that you might want to download and play. These are in no
    particular order, only I've tried to pick missions that I think also look
    really good.

    Calendra's Legacy. If you're looking for a FM that pushes the limits of the
    Dark Engine, check this out. It's vast, and probably the most ambitious Fan
    Mission to date. Things'll probably change when the T2X comes out. It's
    simply massive, with 13 brand-new levels, each pushing the engine.
    The Seventh Crystal. A gripping, emotionally strong storyline, fantastic
    gameplay and beautiful architecture. Not to be missed, a true classic.
    Lord Alan's Fortress
    Bloody Ruins (but before that, you might want to play through all
    Christine's missions. The earlier ones are far more simpler, but they're
    always fun.)
    The Art of Thievery
    The Keeper of the Prophesies -series (The Enterprise, Hallucinations,
    Insurrection, Oracle of the Prophets)
    The Circle of Stone and Shadow
    L'Arsene
    Emilie Victor

    For a longer list of recommendations (to which I'd add new missions today,
    as they keep coming and coming ;) check out this post I made last year:
    http://groups.google.fi/groups?q=mika+latokartano+thief+fan+missions&hl=fi&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=c3sve8%241tu%241%40phys-news1.kolumbus.fi&rnum=6

    - Mika L
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
    in message news:d08t8u$1dj$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

    > "Dan Stephenson" <stephedanospam@mac.com> kirjoitti
    > viestissä:030320052047338093%stephedanospam@mac.com...

    >>> Yes, use the '-lgntforce' option for the setup.exe, as in
    >>> 'setup -lgntforce'. That should do it, if it doesn't work otherwise.
    >>>
    >>> - Mika L
    >>
    >> Hey thanks, it's installing now. I'll assume the same thing is needed
    >> for Thief 2.
    >
    > Quite right.

    I've always needed that command line to install Thief DP and Thief Gold on
    my WinXP system, but for some reason Thief II installs fine without it.

Games Video Games