I am trying to set up my wifes new laptop so that she can use at her school
and at home.

Here is my problem, Her school uses Novell, and a program called zenworks
(xenworks), and it screwes EVERYTHING up.

Is there a way to set up a different login that would enable the novell
network and not alow it to mess up any of the other settings. I am using XP
Home, but if I really need to I can go up to Prof.

I tried using a guest acount, but it won't let me install things as guest,
and I am afraid to set up a regular acount giving Novell access to do what it
wants.

Thanks!

Ortesc wrote:
> I am trying to set up my wifes new laptop so that she can use at her school
> and at home.
>
> Here is my problem, Her school uses Novell, and a program called zenworks
> (xenworks), and it screwes EVERYTHING up.
>
> Is there a way to set up a different login that would enable the novell
> network and not alow it to mess up any of the other settings. I am using XP
> Home, but if I really need to I can go up to Prof.
>
> I tried using a guest acount, but it won't let me install things as guest,
> and I am afraid to set up a regular acount giving Novell access to do what it
> wants.
>
> Thanks!

The Novell Client32 required by modern Novell networks won't work
properly on WinXP Home, it was designed for WinXP Pro. (A Novell
NetWare network is the equivalent of a Microsoft Active Directory domain.)

Is the laptop your wife's personal property, or is it the property of
the school. If the latter, I strongly suggest that you leave it alone.
Your completely unfamiliarity with NetWare makes _you_ very dangerous
to the computer. (Otherwise you'd surely have noticed that the Novel
Client32 offers the option to by-pass it and use only Windows
authentication.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

We own the laptop, and again if needbe - I can put prof on the computer. It
is not the Novell Client that is the problem. That has been installed on
other computer she brings to school before- and with no issue at all. The
problem now(as of this year), is the fact that they have incorporated this
zenworks (xenworks??) into the system, and it goes in and locks almost
everything. (you can't adjust screen settings, run any install programs,
Stops right clicking, stops keyboard shortcuts, removes file menyu from
Explorer and other applications, it removes all control panel options and run
etc from start menu, and generly makes the computer very hard to use in daily
life.)

She can deal with it while on that network, I have no problem with that- but
when I get home and join my own network, I want to be able to go to print
preview, and install the programs that I want to.

I have had extensive experiance with Novell in the past, but not with the
newer version (Windows and Novell) I used Novel 3 on Win95, and we used
policy editor to restirct the use of some features.

Thanks again!

Ortesc wrote:
> We own the laptop, and again if needbe - I can put prof on the computer. It
> is not the Novell Client that is the problem. That has been installed on
> other computer she brings to school before- and with no issue at all. The
> problem now(as of this year), is the fact that they have incorporated this
> zenworks (xenworks??) into the system, and it goes in and locks almost
> everything. (you can't adjust screen settings, run any install programs,
> Stops right clicking, stops keyboard shortcuts, removes file menyu from
> Explorer and other applications, it removes all control panel options and run
> etc from start menu, and generly makes the computer very hard to use in daily
> life.)
>
> She can deal with it while on that network, I have no problem with that- but
> when I get home and join my own network, I want to be able to go to print
> preview, and install the programs that I want to.
>
> I have had extensive experiance with Novell in the past, but not with the
> newer version (Windows and Novell) I used Novel 3 on Win95, and we used
> policy editor to restirct the use of some features.
>
> Thanks again!

Ah, that sheds a bit more light on the issue. How does the school
justify mandating that they have such full control of your wife's
property? Is she a student or faculty? I'm somewhat surprised that the
school even bothered installing Client32 and ZenWorks on a WinXP Home,
as that configuration isn't supported by Novell.

Anyway, I've not used the newest versions of ZenWorks, so I can't offer
any specific advice. It would seem to me, though, that any local
administrative account you use should still "trump" any group policies
set by ZenWorks. You might also find better answers in one of the
newsgroups devoted to ZenWorks and NetWare. Also, Novell maintains a
rather extensive knowledge base on their web site that might offer some
insight.

You might also look into NetSwitcher (www.netswitcher.com) to see if it
can help.

--