Can I just start over!?!? Too many problems!

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I'm seriously depressed over my first try at building a new system! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it, and it looks great, BUT things are not running the way I had planned and hoped they would. A custom paint job that didn't go too well the first try, defective GPU I had to send back, SSD problems that I haven't ...been able to figure out yet, forced to use a different configuration that I didn't want, and still getting blue screen crashes several times a day! I have a reputation for biting off more than I can (seemingly) handle but I am determined to do this and learn from it.

I think at this point I'd like to clear the slate, so to speak, and start over fresh if possible. I still don't have my HD5870 back yet but I have a GT240 to use for now and I can "upgrade" to the other when it comes. For a better picture of all that has transpired during this, my first build adventure, see my other threads.

This is now a plea for help from any sympathetic, experienced builders with the patience and knowledge to guide a newbie through the tasks necessary to bring my dream machine to life. All I can offer is my undying gratitude and promise that I will pass along the lessons learned to those who will come after me. (I hope that was a convincing enough humble plea!)

Solution
Post system specs and what the problems are.

I would like you to read 2 things

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-video-problems

We need to make sure you have all the lastest drivers for your system, all updates for your OS, and maybe even update your BIOs < plz try to read about it ( it can help out alot )

If need be take it all apart and start over

Also we need to check for heat problems ( so dload some programes )realtemps CPU-Z HWMonitor Prime95 also memetest V 4.0

Did you set your ram up in the bios ? speed volts timings ?

Anyways we can try to get it worked out

Also it not good to go from a ATI GPU to a Nvdiia unless you use Driver sweep to clean the other drivers out

Ok post spec so we can get going

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Thank you sooooooooo much for the reply. I've just about given up on the human race, or at least having anyone try to help me out.

As for as the GPUs, the ATI card never got off the ground at all. Good news is, the replacement just now! It was delivered after I made my post. I'm not touching though, until I know everything else is in order and all other problems and potential problems are solved.

I read through the links you provided (thanks). I did everything and more that is suggested in these with the exception of "Did you set your ram up in the bios ? speed volts timings ? " I will admit I'm not sure about this but since it did boot ok and is running fairly well (execpt for the crashes) I'm not sure if this is the problem. Again, I'm thinking it might be best to start all over. Is it possible to wipe everything "clean" and start over as if it were the first time, new again?

To start the history of my problems, here is a copy of my original GPU problem (that I hope is now solved by the replacement), with the original specs:

"I finished putting together my first complete build and tried to start up for the first time last night. Everything started running (fans, lights, temp/fan controller) AND a very loud (and annoying) continuous beep. :mmmfff: It was NOT the usual BIOS code beep. I turned it off, rechecked all connections, memory cards and all other expansion cards and still had the same results. Also, in addition to the very loud beep, it sounded like I had my old house box fan running in there! Some fan was running very loudly! I finally took out the GPU and plugged in an old (and I mean OLD) graphics card I had laying around and, voila, it booted right up! I left it at that (it was 4am, too tired) and have not begun any OS or other installations.

Should I just go ahead with the installations and then try to reinstall the GPU as if it were an upgrade? This GPU is one of the major reasons for this new build. I really want to get this thing up and blazing NOW!!! :hot: :gun:

Here's a more complete system list:
MOBO - ASUS P6T
PSU - 660w Kingwin Premium Series
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooler - Dark Knight
RAM - 6GB OCZ DDR3 Gold
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black
SSD - 60GB OCZ
GPU - ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB **
HDTV Card - Hauppuage Win TV-HVR 1600
Lian Li 3.5 LCD Thermometer & Fan Controller
Optical Drive - SAMSUNG Super-WriteMaster SH-S223
(will soon be adding a Blu-ray Disc writter)
System is housed in a Thermaltake XaserVI case that I have done some modding to.
Also have external 640GB WD MyBook Storage, LG Super-Multi DVD writter and
my HP w2408 24 inch LCD Monitor.

**This card was defective. :pfff: Temporarily using NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Now on to the SSD problems. Here is what my original question was and the problems I ran into after trying to install OS (Note that this was after unanimous agreement that the HD5870 was defective and I installed the GT240. The system was able to post and I was able to check BIOS):

"I've put together my first complete build and am ready to begin installation of the OS (Windows 7 Pro). I have a 60Gb SSD and a 1Tb HDD and I would like the OS to go on the SSD. How do I designate the drives for this?

Also, it was suggested to me, that, since I have some peripherals and needed programs that may have compatibility issues with the new Windows 7, I should consider partitioning so that I can also install Windows XP for these. I have no idea how to do this either."

Then I proceeded to start up and install Windows 7. Here's what came next.:

"Ok, I've run into a road block. I've started the Windows install and I'm at the point at choosing the disk to install to. When I choose the my SSD it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show details)".
Details are: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I went into the BIOS and checked this and here's what came next:

Ok, I did this and now I'm back to choosing and it says the same thing, so I clicked the "advance" button and I'm guessing this is where it will format and/or partition the drive? It shows a "size" bar with a value of 61057 MB (my SSD is 60GB) with option to change the value and "Apply" or "Cancel". Do I leave this full value or change it?

As you can see, I was a little apprehensive as I stepped into what was new territory for me. I did this, (clicked "Apply") and then,...

DANG IT!!! GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE!!! AAHHHHAHHHAHHAHHAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHH!!!! :cry:

Ok, I feel a little better now.

Here's the message: "Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. [Error: 0x80042556]." Please interpret?

Here is a reply that I got from "Shadow 703793". I did follow his instructions and even posted to the OCZ forum (with only one very short, unhelpful response), and here was my reply:

I already tried everything you suggested above with no luck. There are no jumpers on the SSD.

I have disconnected the SSD and have successfully installed Windows on the HDD for now. I wanted to use the SSD for the OS and to run Photoshop and the HDD for other programs and storage. External drive will be for business storage and I plan to subscribe to an online backup system too.

Is it possible for me to accomplish this, EVER?

Also,...

I did try unplugging the other (HDD) drive but then Windows did not recognize it {SSD) at all; there was no drive listed in the "choose drive" list.

I think I found the problem. I just switched out the SATA cable and the drive is showing up in the BIOS menu now (must have been a faulty cable?). In Windows, under "Computer" it lists "Hard Disk Drives (1)" showing my HDD only. Under the "Device Manager" / My computer/ Disk Drives, it list both the OCZ SSD and the WDC HDD, and it says that "This device is working properly".

I REALLY want to go back to my original configuration plans. How can I do this now?

"Shadow" replied again and he continued to try to help me in a private thread we started for this purpose. Here is a link to the rest. I'm not sure if it will work for you so let me know.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#bas

Basically, I did update all the updates I was told to do by my "guidance counselors" and I ran the Prive95 stress test too.
I'm sure this is probably more info than you expected to get but I'm serious about getting this mess straightened out and I will provided you or anyone else with everything necessary to help you help me. Thanks!
:hello:

A flaky PSU can cause all kinds of problems. And Kingwin has a reputation for producing, umm, less than adequate PSU's - "one step above junk" would be more accurate.

Try to borrow a good PSU - something like a Corsair 550VX or larger.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Ok, I've tolerated more than enough bashing on my choice of PSU brand, however, I believe the majority is based on either not knowing much about it to make an informed opinion or loyalties to "brand name" PSUs. I was looking for over all value. I'm all for brand recognition but we all know how there is a definite premium to pay for the "designer" label. I don't have a problem going with less recognized names if there is performance to back it. It did first catch my eye for it's looks and price so I went looking for reviews on it. The one I bought is not really the one I had originally planned on getting (Lazer 850w). The guy at Micro Center, where I bought most of the components, convinced me that I did not need the higher one. I am thinking that I will get it later anyway and use this one in another build for my daughter.
Here are some reviews on the 850. Read them and then tell me if you really think it deserves all the bashing.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=906&page=1

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1786&pageID=8412

http://overclockershq.com/hardware-reviews/kingwin-lazer-850w-performance-series-psu-review.html#axzz0kl0cZv4r

http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/lz850/lz850.html

@OP: PSUs can cause all sorts of problems, may very well be a PSU issue. As for the reviews, non of them did any hot box testing like over at jonnyguru.

Here is the PM thread:

Thanks, for your help anyway. Know anyone else that might be of help in this way? I'm pretty new to the "community" so I'm not that familiar with others on the forums.

In the mean time, here is the info you asked me about before.

In the "Disk Management" window, the top section (that has the columns that include the "Status" bar) only lists the HDD in it's partitions ("C:", and "System Reserved"). The next section lists the HDD as "Disk 0" / Basic / 931.51 / Online", the OCZ SDD as "Disk 1 / Basic / 59.63 / Online", and of course my CD-ROM/DVD drive.

^ Ok, in Disk Management:

Right Click on the OCZ drive > Click on “New Simple Volume”. Then follow the Wizard. Once this is done, you should see the OCZ SSD in “My Computer”.

Like I said, the best way is to sign up for an account on the OCZ Forums.

I do have an account on OCZ, but I've only had one very vague response. I did join a Facebook group of PC builders and found one chap that was willing to go on live chat and he was very helpful. Hopefully I'll find more people like him to lend their expertise, patience and a little time and I will get this system straightened out and running the way I designed it to be.

I appreciate all your help. I hope to share what I've learned (and am still learning) through all this with future "newbies". Maybe I'll be able to post something showing the finished product soon! :wahoo:

Mind linking to the OCZ post?

Anyways, good luck! Hope you get it fixed soon.

Here is the link to my post on OCZ forum. I'm not sure if it is viewable without an OCZ account (maybe you have one,?).

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?71342-Help-installing-Wndows-7-to-SSD&p=504920&highlight=#post504920

I've had a couple of "blue screen" crashes since installing Windows, even after updating the BIOS, Chipset and LAN.
I'm still looking for guidance on reconfiguring the system to use the SSD for the OS and HDD for storage and gaming.
Is this still possible to achieve?

I've had a couple of "blue screen" crashes since installing Windows, even after updating the BIOS, Chipset and LAN.
That is not a good sign. Download Prime 95 x64 (or 32 bit if OS is 32 bit) here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=18

Then go to:
Advanced> click "Round Off Checking"
Then go to Options>Torture Test> Select "Small FFT".

Run this for 6hrs or so. If it crashes, you have some serious issues. Also, download CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

and tell me the CPU temps at idle and at full load with Prime95.

Before you run this, disconnect the SSD. Imo, you shouldn't have this much trouble with the SSD. I recommend you RMA it.

Reading the description of this utility, it seems geared toward those systems being overclocked. I haven't done this. Should I still run it?

The SSD is connected now but isn't being used for anything. Haven't tried doing anything with it. Is there a way to test it while it is still installed for problems? If I ask for a RMA request now, what do I say is the problem? When I used a different SATA cord, it seemed to make a difference. Should I just test that cord with something else, say the optical drive, to see if it was bad?

I REALLY hate the way it seems that I've been dealing with a high percentage of defective parts! GPU, SSD, SATA cable, even the case came slightly damaged (noncritical plastic "fin" on back of sliding hood was broke). Had a buggered of a time with my paint job too. If I wasn't suck an optimistic person, I'd think I was jinxed or something! :ouch: But, it just serves to make me more determined to get this done, and done right! :kaola:

Reading the description of this utility, it seems geared toward those systems being overclocked. I haven't done this. Should I still run it?
Yes, because you are BSODing, this will eliminate the CPU,etc as source of the problem.

Where did you buy the parts from?

Bought everything from Micro Center except for the case that I got from Newegg.

I'm running the "Stress Test" now and CoreTemp. I have an appointment to go to so I guess it will be a good time to let it just run. I won't be back for about 5-6 hours so I hope it will be ok to leave it going unattended.

I did not disconnect the SSD. As I said before, I haven't tried accessing it; it's just there. I would still like to know if there is a way to test it for problems.

***Just got back and realized I should have disabled the "Sleep" mode. =[ Oh well, it did run about 1 1/2 hours (it's running again now) and temps seem to be running in the low to mid 60's. Does that seem ok? I am planning to add about 3 more fans (2 intake and 1 exhaust) around the time I get my replacement GPU.

Do you want me to send you the entire CoreTemp log and if so, how should I send it (it's loooooooong, lol)?

Your temps seem fine. Looks like your BSODs were caused by drivers.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Well, if my money tree would just go ahead and bloom already I would just go right out and buy everything all over again. Unfortunately though, the "tree" has withered away and I'm passed the return policy dates on every. So let's see if all you super knowledgeable geeks can handle the slightly more complicated task of guiding me through what ever it might take to get what I do have working, PLEASE!

I'm sure I've mentioned the fact that I did try another "name brand" PSU with the very same results (Corsair 750w).

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Okay just looking through the information you posted, trying to figure out where you're at right now. You have all the hardware but have Windows 7 installed to your HDD (which you wanted to use for data storage or whatever) and have the SSD as an extra drive right now (you want the OS installed on this drive)?

I created a media PC last year with an SSD with Vista and didn't have any problems so I haven't seen that issue offhand. A quick search brings this up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250864-32-install-windows-corsair-p128

"Physically remove connections to ALL disks on your computer EXCEPT your SSD so it's the only disk connected. Then Windows install WILL see the SSD and you can install Windows 7 to it (and I assume Vista)."

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=182884

"I had the very same issue with my rig (But with 6 samsung's installed as well as my OCZ)

It all worked beautiful once I pulled all but the SSD from the machine. Get Win7 on, and then plug in the other drives.

Been 100% perfect ever since."

"Plus the SSD in on its own and also try IDE mode as well as ACHI." - Change can be made in BIOS.

Dunno if you've tried just booting with the SSD only but it's worth a shot. Try that to get Windows 7 installed and completely updated and then add the 2nd hard drive. I wouldn't worry about BSOD's with your current setup, just concentrate on troubleshooting getting Windows to install on that SSD. You currently know that Windows 7 will install on a hard drive, we just need to figure out how to get it onto the SSD. Deal with that problem first and then move onto any problems that come up afterwards.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
+1 jsc and Shadow703793, when researching reviews for psu's, always check johnnyguru.com. Hard core testing and real evaluations are presented. For a crossfire configuration with your current set up, you should have a Corsair 750TX psu. The reviews on newegg aren't too many for the Kingwin unit. You usually get what you pay for with the better built units. Your doing well with the trouble shooting and everything will come together soon. You need to slow your pace a bit and achieve a clearer overall view of things. You will have a great system and enjoy it for a long term. Have fun as you learn and good luck.

Because those are quotes.

@OP: next time:
use this code tag:
bbc.png

neoletrix

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

See "BOLD". Dude you've got "some" chronic "quoting" "isssues". You should get that "checked out"

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Sorry if my proper use of the English language offends you. I pride myself on being pretty good at writing and use of proper grammar, both of which seem to be a lost art these days. With test messaging, instant messaging, chat rooms, and such our language has literally been butchered.

Here is an explanation of the use of quotation marks as I have used them in most of the instances you are referring to.

(And I quote) "Another common use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words:

He shared his “wisdom” with me.
The lunch lady plopped a glob of “food” onto my tray.

Quotes indicating irony, or other special use, are sometimes called scare, sneer, shock, distance, or horror quotes. They are sometimes gestured in oral speech using air quotes."

Just a thought, but I was under the impression this was a forum on pc building and not a literary discussion board. :non:

Now back to the real subject at hand. :sarcastic:

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
After researching your case, not sure if it's the mid or full tower version, but they seem to have issues with inadequate airflow according to some system builder reviews. You also may be having issues with the external hard drives and cables. I tend to agree with you on starting over, but not to an extreme. You now have a great psu and now maybe get a better case for airflow. Do you sit your PC on the floor? If so, that's a major source of dust, lint and animal hair if you have pets. All of these can make the PC heat build rather quickly. I keep my system on my work station with the best possible air movement around it. I've got a couple of cats, so I open my case and blow out the dust bunnies with compressed air about once a month. If I may suggest you take a look at some Cooler Master or Antec cases and see if there is one you may like. You can see video reviews for some cases on you tube. Some cases will be a complete build being shown on you tube which gives you a better idea of how congested a certain build may become. If there are connection problems, you may want to build it with internal hard drive(s). Think about it and do some research, it will all work out for you. Good luck.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

[SIGH] I thought I covered that already. My case is the full size model and it is ginormous ! It has great airflow and if you read back on my post you will see that a Prime95 stress test was run with good results.

'm running the "Stress Test" now and CoreTemp. I have an appointment to go to so I guess it will be a good time to let it just run. I won't be back for about 5-6 hours so I hope it will be ok to leave it going unattended.

I did not disconnect the SSD. As I said before, I haven't tried accessing it; it's just there. I would still like to know if there is a way to test it for problems.

***Just got back and realized I should have disabled the "Sleep" mode. =[ Oh well, it did run about 1 1/2 hours (it's running again now) and temps seem to be running in the low to mid 60's. Does that seem ok? I am planning to add about 3 more fans (2 intake and 1 exhaust) around the time I get my replacement GPU.

Do you want me to send you the entire CoreTemp log and if so, how should I send it (it's loooooooong, lol)?

I have purposely stuck to the bare minimum on peripheral connections, installs, programs and whatever else until I get the system configured correctly and running stable. The external storage drive is not connected nor has it ever been to this pc.

The case is on my equally ginormous desk and I would never put my work of art on the ground. I worked too hard and spent too much time and money on this case to treat it so or to replace it with some lesser model. I LOVE MY CASE!!! :love:

I am meticulous about a clean case both in and out. With a previous PC, I had to take it to a shop for something and the guys could not believe how clean it was (and no, I cannot take this one to that shop, it's closed).

I have also done a very clean and unobtrusive job of cable management. I really need to post some photos of it some how but I really have never done that except on Facebook and only family pics. Any guidance on the best way for me to do this would be great too. :??:

neoletrix

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

thats "fine", you should "get back" to the "subject" at "hand", which is "replacing" all of the "defective" "parts" of your "computer"

"edit:" and by "that" i "meant" blaming "the manufacturers" for all the "stuff" you "broke" while "putting" "together" your "build". fact is that "unless" you are the "most" unlucky "person" on the "planet", there "shouldn't" be "this" many "things" wrong "with" your "computer"

^ Seriously. Stop bashing the OP. The OP's post is 10x more understandable than some of the cr@p some people post here.

As for breaking things: I had a very good friend who managed to receive a completely bad set of parts from a local PC store. We later found out that the store "accidentally" sold us customer returned parts. And yes, he did know WTF he was doing. That was his ~7th build.

tecmo34

Administrator
@OP... my two cents

In reading through this post, you have provided good info and received good info. The two things that haven't seem to have been reviewed or addressed is your RAM settings (timings, voltage & speed) and PSU. You have pretty much verified everything except those two. I would look to swap PSU's with a Corsair, Antec or OCZ to rule that issue out. When it comes to PSU, don't trust EE's at Microcenter. My first build they recommended me a TAGAN PSU that died twice and the final one took my CPU & MOBO. The PSU is the last componenet you want to buy cheap on, plus it is one of the few that can go from build to build, if a good brand.

Have you tried running MemTest86 to verify no defective RAM or stability issues (sorry if I missed you saying you did). This would be my next step in the process. After you finally figure out the issue, you get to have fun of restarting the process by doing a fresh install on your SSD, so it is your boot drive.

Hang in there... You figure out the issue eventually (which typically ends up being the simpliest thing that was overlooked)