Sign in with
Your question

Which is better for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2010 5:23:52 PM

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M or Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD HM55

More about : gaming

a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 21, 2010 5:26:19 PM

the honest answer is neither, both are junk

what games are you trying/planning to play?

m
l
March 21, 2010 5:38:21 PM

these are the graphics cards offered for the computers I am considering. My son plays world of warcraft and I am told that for best performance for him to run wow, play music and chat at same time I need CPU, Graphics card and RAM.I have budget of under $650 out the door
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2010 5:38:33 PM

these are the graphics cards offered for the computers I am considering. My son plays world of warcraft and I am told that for best performance for him to run wow, play music and chat at same time I need CPU, Graphics card and RAM.I have budget of under $650 out the door
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 21, 2010 5:44:48 PM

well i saw on the CPU forum your CPU choices

frankly they both offer similar graphic performance so I would get the i3 option, I assume that is the HM55. Your son would be able to do all things you mentioned plus play WoW on lower settings. raiding and PVP play would be tougher for him though. make sure he turns all the shadows to OFF.
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:47:21 PM

Well, if you build your own you can make it alot better. You can get an Athlon II x3, an ATI radeon hd 4670 (graphics card), a cheap 770 motherboard, a 39 dollar case (which believe it or not can actually be pretty good), and 4 gigs of ram, which may cost about $79 (ddr3). In total this would all cost under $650, enough to leave some money for the operating system.
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:48:44 PM

how about a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M then?
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 21, 2010 5:52:23 PM

yannifb said:
Well, if you build your own you can make it alot better. You can get an Athlon II x3, an ATI radeon hd 4670 (graphics card), a cheap 770 motherboard, a 39 dollar case (which believe it or not can actually be pretty good), and 4 gigs of ram, which may cost about $79 (ddr3). In total this would all cost under $650, enough to leave some money for the operating system.

hes buying a laptop, not a PC
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 21, 2010 5:54:53 PM

bnpifer said:
how about a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M then?

it would be a good step up
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:08:47 PM

ct1615 said:
hes buying a laptop, not a PC

oh, i see that now
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:09:51 PM

yannifb said:
oh, i see that now

How much to build a laptop then and what would I put in it?
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2010 12:02:47 AM

bnpifer said:
How much to build a laptop then and what would I put in it?

you buy a kit, Asus used to sell one but I have no clue if they do anymore or who else does
then you buy the CPU, ram, wifi card, HDD, and video card

I recall you don't save as much money as a PC and parts are often tough to track down.
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:39:15 AM

Look, both Graphic cards are Integrated...meaning World of Warcraft will run with extreme lags or not at all. Building a Laptop is not recommended as of yet, because ATI/NVidia do not have a standard for moblie graphics. MXM is the only slot I could think of, and a low-end mobile card will cost you like $500 as they are rare. And if you say you want to do it at the same time, your computer will crash because of all the graphics processes going on. Also, if you will use that computer for more than 2 years, dust will accumulate on your CPU Fan causing shutdowns due to temperatures. Look, just pay more and get a laptop with dedicated graphics.
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:58:11 AM

can anyone reccommend a laptop for me that has the following: under $700. Good graphics card and CPU with at least 4meg ram and 500 hard drive. Will use for playing games such as World of Warcraft and playing music and chatting at same time. It is for my son so budget is fairly firm. Best suggestions for money please
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 2:38:30 AM

To be honest, laptops are mostly crap for gaming as you want a 17 incher to game for long sessions & most laptops are heavily CPU sided.

And I think you mean 4 Gig of RAM.

I would find the best laptop that says "AMD Vision", "ATI Radeon" or "nVidia" and/or has on of those stickers on it.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:46:59 AM

I agree with sabot, the AMD vision and nvidia ones come with far superior gpu's than the junk in the Centrino platforms.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2010 3:00:29 AM

bnpifer said:
can anyone reccommend a laptop for me that has the following: under $700. Good graphics card and CPU with at least 4meg ram and 500 hard drive. Will use for playing games such as World of Warcraft and playing music and chatting at same time. It is for my son so budget is fairly firm. Best suggestions for money please

you wont get a laptop with 500GB HDD under $700, if you do it will crap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
nice screen
plenty of ram
solid GPU
solid HDD
ok CPU

better GPU, smaller screen

this one is quicker ( i assume one of your originals) but gaming will take a hit

so ask you son whats more important to him, a quick laptop for school, one that games better but has a smaller screen or a larger screen but is average at gaming
m
l
March 22, 2010 11:49:57 PM

This is a good one, support DX11, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Core i5 (should be fine for your needs) and is 500 GB HDD.

Like ct1615 said, lower your HDD requirements if you can, and get a better GPU. YOU CAN ALWAYS ( IN ANY PC OR LAPTOP) UPGRADE YOUR HDD, and some laptops have a second HDD slot.
m
l
March 23, 2010 2:18:13 AM

zodiac321 said:

This is a good one, support DX11, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Core i5 (should be fine for your needs) and is 500 GB HDD.

Like ct1615 said, lower your HDD requirements if you can, and get a better GPU. YOU CAN ALWAYS ( IN ANY PC OR LAPTOP) UPGRADE YOUR HDD, and some laptops have a second HDD slot.

i was always told that ACER was junk and not to buy???
m
l
March 23, 2010 2:19:02 AM

I was told that ACER was junk and I should not ever buy one???
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2010 2:22:29 AM

acer is not bad, you could do a lot worse

I always used HP and Dell laptops, I preferred the HP
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:58:46 PM

DON"T LOOK AT THE COMPANY UNLESS YOU ARE A NOOB AT COMPUTERS. Seriously. every Computer I have, even laptops, I installed Windows freshly as to destroy the bloatware. The company making the PC doesn't make drivers...Intel, AMD, NVidia, ATI, make drivers. The only driver needed from ACER would be the Camera driver. That's it. Every computer is the same when it comes to the parts internally, whether you buy a laptop that has the SONY VAIO LOGO or an ACER.

For instance, If you pay $1500 for a Sony PC that has almost the same or very similar parts internally (EXC. HDD) to an ACER which costs $900 is stupid.

If you are buying a computer and do not know how to install Windows (freshly) software on a computer, then you should look at which company provides best technical support as to help you if there is a problem.
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:16:31 PM

I guess th company is important when it comes to how they stand behind their products and warranties though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 1:18:54 AM

Actually the company for a laptop is very important, as the mobo's, GPU's are custom, thus if it's poor there's nothing you can do.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2010 1:38:12 AM

sabot00 said:
Actually the company for a laptop is very important, as the mobo's, GPU's are custom, thus if it's poor there's nothing you can do.

not to mention little things like ease of use for the mouse & keyboard, noise from the disk drive, reliability of the screen, heat dispensation, are all very important. It's not like I can simply buy a logitech KB to replace my Dell keypads if they start falling out.

issues that are easy to fix on my desktop can be truly annoying on a laptop.
m
l
March 24, 2010 6:22:42 AM

good point. So with tht said are there any laptop companies to stay away from? Is Asus, Gateway and Aceer reliable from these standpoints?
m
l
March 24, 2010 8:51:55 PM

Actually you can replace parts in laptops like a keyboard, touch pad, GPU (if it has a MXM slot or DELL slot), CPU (not so much the fan), wireless card (although hard to find), RAM and if your DVD drive has a SATA port. But i recommend that to advanced users only (MEANING IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE INSIDE OF A DESKTOP LOOKS LIKE, THEN DON'T TRY).

Opening up a laptop is nothing like a desktop. A desktop has only 1-3 screws holding the side panel, a Laptop has at least 15 on the back and some hidden near the keyboard. BUT, THIS BEING SAID, it is still possible to replace parts of your laptop.

I am not a laptop expert, but ASUS has not failed me with desktop parts, yet. As for Gateway/Acer, Acer owns Gateway literally. Acer laptops, from what I've seen are the low end models of the Gateway laptops. I.E. Gateway logo appears on laptops with better graphics/CPUs for a larger price, but Acer logos appear on laptops that are more midrange and cheaper
m
l
March 24, 2010 9:09:32 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220694

ASUS is an amazing brand for notebooks. The standard warranty is awesome as it provides standard coverage for 2 years. They even cover it for accidental damage(drops, spills, kid set it on fire to watch it burn) for the first year.

I've had my ASUS notebook for about 3 years now and couldn't be happier.
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:03:23 PM

I'm sorry dude, Intel Pentium is NOT a gaming CPU, nor is the GT 320 that much of one. And I believe the person needs a 500 GB HDD, not a 320.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 2:59:19 AM

That CPU is plenty of WoW & casual games, the GT 320M is not good, but certianlly better than a intel IGP.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 4:28:10 AM

Well I'm looking at this and it looks like it could be ok mind you that i'm not as not too familar with notebook gpus, i did check the gpu on here and compared to other offered gpus in the same price range it was on top
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benc...

here the link to newegg it's currently 750 (normally 850) and has a 50 dollar mail in rebate to bring it down to 700
m
l
!