Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Update my rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 10, 2010 9:47:26 PM

Hello, I am not overly up to speed especially when it comes to computers, but I would like to modernize my computer to be compatible to play the current video games (i.e. Call of Duty 4). MY current system is as follows below:

Alienware Area-51
Purchased in 2003
Intel 875PBZ motherboard
Intel Pentium 4-C 3.2 GHZ 800MHZ front side BUS
Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 LL X 2
420 Watt Power supply
Nvidia GEFroce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB
Windows XP Pro
120 GB Seagate BArracuda HD
Nothing has been overcleocked thus far.

My thinking is buying more memory to increase RAM and install new video card. Would I be better off with new system or just upgrading? If upgrading makes more sense which components are recommended?

Thanks

More about : update rig

April 10, 2010 10:11:02 PM

Budget? Are you willing to sell your current system on ebay?
m
0
l
April 10, 2010 11:11:02 PM

If I upgrade my existing I want to keep it between $500-$800. If I do buy a new computer $1500-$1700. Unfortanetly I don't have a lot of time due to busy work and family life to build a new one. I have been looking at Digital Storm computers, as I now know Alienware although good is overpriced.

I would probably keep my existing computer as a spare rather then ebay it or cragslist it, should I get a new one.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 11, 2010 12:02:22 AM

it took me two hours to build mine. my first one ever.
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 12:23:03 AM

Sell your current system on EBAY. AS IS and then build this.

CPU and Ram
I5 750 and 4gb 1600 ram $310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 $134
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU Corsair 450w $66
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU 5770 $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive get this one for $55
Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus DVD BURNER $22
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case case $40 AR free shipping
NZXT mid tower case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 OEM $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total is $877

If you want a better video card go with the 5850 $300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total with 5850= $1027 minus whatever you got for your old comp and you are set.

There you go.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 6:14:48 AM

We need more details - what model 420W PSU? What resolution you game on, etc New GPU on your board is a negative - AGP interface for GPU slot on your current mobo @@
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 6:39:20 AM

mattj said:
If I upgrade my existing I want to keep it between $500-$800. If I do buy a new computer $1500-$1700. Unfortanetly I don't have a lot of time due to busy work and family life to build a new one. I have been looking at Digital Storm computers, as I now know Alienware although good is overpriced.

I would probably keep my existing computer as a spare rather then ebay it or cragslist it, should I get a new one.


If you don't have enough time to build one, how will you have enough time to play on one?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 4:26:00 PM

batuchka said:
We need more details - what model 420W PSU? What resolution you game on, etc New GPU on your board is a negative - AGP interface for GPU slot on your current mobo @@

I personally wouldn't even bother upgrading the old Dell OP has.

brennon7 said:
If you don't have enough time to build one, how will you have enough time to play on one?

:lol:  Good point.

@OP:

1. What games?

2. Do you need an LCD?

3. What resolution do you plan to play at?
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 7:19:21 PM

Shadow703793 said:
I personally wouldn't even bother upgrading the old Dell OP has.


:lol:  Good point.

@OP:

1. What games?

2. Do you need an LCD?

3. What resolution do you plan to play at?



I decided I am going to take a crack at building a new system. My LCD monitor maxes out at 1360 X 768, so I usually play at 1024 X 768. I prefer games like COD & the Battlefield series, and playing online. I like the list Brennon7 put together but am questioning the mobo & video card.

Here's the tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
edited:NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel

I'm not sure on the video card, but I am considering the Sapphire Breenon suggested, or this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
edited: BFG Tech BFGEGTX275896OCE GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

As far as the mobo I'm not really familiar with what to look for, so I'm not 100% sure on whats right.

Also, is windows 7 the way to go? I have XP pro and am not a big fan of Vista as I think its bloated.

Thanks
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 7:35:59 PM

^ I can't open your links due to a stupid bug in the Forum. (There is a stupid re-direction of the links that my Firewall & AdBlock Plus is blocking).

Please list the name/model of the case etc.

brennon7 has a good set up, but for a gaming system, I'd go with an AM3 set up and save a bunch of money.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 8:11:14 PM

^+1. Don't get the GTX 275.

I personally would get a ASUS P7P55D-E Pro so you can CrossFire/SLI down the road. Also get Windows 7 x64. Windows XP is DEAD.

The NZXT case is a very good choice.

m
0
l
April 11, 2010 10:24:13 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^+1. Don't get the GTX 275.

I personally would get a ASUS P7P55D-E Pro so you can CrossFire/SLI down the road. Also get Windows 7 x64. Windows XP is DEAD.

The NZXT case is a very good choice.



Okay, going to upgrade to windows 7, get Asus P7P55D-E, pretty much everything Brennon mentioned.

I decided to go with the SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (Edit: With New Egg you can only get this card if you combo a $2,000 dollar computer package)

Is there any chance the video card would work with my current system, while I slowly build my own system? Or am I going to just have to bite the bullett?
m
0
l
April 11, 2010 11:05:36 PM

Okay here's what I've got so far:


Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Item #: N82E16827118030

NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811146062

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181

SAPPHIRE 100282-3CODSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102885

Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102024

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139004

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231277

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131621

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116754

Subtotal: $1,269.90

THOUGHTS?!?!?!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2010 11:20:48 PM

Quote:


Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Item #: N82E16827118030

NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811146062

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181

SAPPHIRE 100282-3CODSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102885

Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102024

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139004

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231277

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131621

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116754

Subtotal: $1,269.90

Looks good, but, why the sound card?

Imo, try the onboard first and if you don't like it, then get the sound card. Unless you have some high end speakers you won't notice a difference.

I'v said this before, but do consider an AM3 build for quite a bit cheaper for a gaming system. This is, unless you plan to get an i7 some time from now.
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 12:35:59 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:


Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Item #: N82E16827118030

NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811146062

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181

SAPPHIRE 100282-3CODSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102885

Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102024

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139004

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231277

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131621

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115215

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116754

Subtotal: $1,269.90

Looks good, but, why the sound card?

Imo, try the onboard first and if you don't like it, then get the sound card. Unless you have some high end speakers you won't notice a difference.

I'v said this before, but do consider an AM3 build for quite a bit cheaper for a gaming system. This is, unless you plan to get an i7 some time from now.


Here is the AM3 processor I was looking at:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - $183

I have always had intel, so I'm not really familiar with AMD processors, when I was doing some searching I couldn't reall see anything that said AMD was better. In hindsight, a fast processor for the same price doesn't suck either. Also thought you needed soundcard, I usually use headphones anyways and on occasion use my speakers for DVD's
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2010 1:24:39 AM

^ AMD is NOT better in terms of pure performance. However, in price vs performance, AMD wins hands down.

At any rate, the Phenom II 965 is an excellent choice. However, for a pure gaming rig: http://bit.ly/9ohxSJ
AMD Athlon II X4 630 $100
Is more than enough. Just OC it to 3.6Ghz easily and you have a very good gaming PC for quite a bit less money.

Quote:
Also thought you needed soundcard, I usually use headphones anyways and on occasion use my speakers for DVD's

That was in the old days. Now pretty much every thing has integrated 5.1 or better sound. The only reason for having a sound card is if you do pro level audio work and/or have really nice set of speakers. Most who use sound cards now are in the HTPC crowd.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2010 3:08:03 AM

^Agreed. Hell for a gaming build imo, even the i5 750 is a bit over kill. At resolutions above 1280*1024 the GPU starts to matter more than CPU in most games.
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 6:05:01 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^Agreed. Hell for a gaming build imo, even the i5 750 is a bit over kill. At resolutions above 1280*1024 the GPU starts to matter more than CPU in most games.


So if I go with the AMD processor I mentioned, all of the components listed will still work and I'm better off then with the Intel i5 750?
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 6:30:58 AM

brennon7 said:
You will need a different motherboard.

CPU

Here is a good combo with free call of duty MW2 $339

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

But the i5 dominates all amd has to offer at this point. Proof

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1060/14/



Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to start ordering some of the components. But I am having a hard time justifying $300 for a video card. Is there another one that would be just as powerful but slightly cheaper? I noticed the 5830 is $50 less but has GDDR memory instead of DDR memory. Is it really noticeable? Or are you just paying for bells and whistles?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2010 9:53:03 AM

mattj said:
I decided I am going to take a crack at building a new system. My LCD monitor maxes out at 1360 X 768, so I usually play at 1024 X 768. I have XP pro and am not a big fan of Vista as I think its bloated.

Thanks


Geez for gaming on a 1024 x 768 resolution? TS dun throw away $$ in a preety awful way

1. No need for HD 5850 ..not even GTX 275..try something like HD 4670 for 1024 X 768 LOL
2. 2gb ddr3, AM3 770/790GX, AthlonII X3 425 tadaa! Can even hit a HD 5670 wee~ $404 AR including ship

3. Yep XP Pro it is then :p 
4. You are welcomed ^^
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2010 2:06:28 PM

^ lol, true that for 1024*768. Imo, OP should probably go with a 5770/5750 and upgrade the LCD.

At any rate, the build above this post is good:

1. Change to 4Gb RAM.

2. Swap the 5670 to 5770/5750 OR 4770 (~$80 @ Newegg)
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 11:59:26 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ lol, true that for 1024*768. Imo, OP should probably go with a 5770/5750 and upgrade the LCD.

At any rate, the build above this post is good:

1. Change to 4Gb RAM.

2. Swap the 5670 to 5770/5750 OR 4770 (~$80 @ Newegg)



I agree about going to 4GB, athough I am going to start with 2 for now. I can always upgrade my monitor, I want video card thats reasonable, but not obsolete in the next 2 years.

I prefer playing at higher resolutions, just is what I am currently using due to current limitations of monitor. I guess I am looking for the next step down from the Sapphire 5850 without losing a lot.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2010 1:07:35 AM

Quote:
I guess I am looking for the next step down from the Sapphire 5850 without losing a lot.

That would be a 5770 or 5830: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

Quote:
I can always upgrade my monitor, I want video card thats reasonable, but not obsolete in the next 2 years.

Imo, that's kind of backwards. GPUs get out dates in about a year, where as a good 22-26" LCD will give you about 3-5 years before a upgrade.
m
0
l
April 13, 2010 1:23:32 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
I guess I am looking for the next step down from the Sapphire 5850 without losing a lot.

That would be a 5770 or 5830: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

Quote:
I can always upgrade my monitor, I want video card thats reasonable, but not obsolete in the next 2 years.

Imo, that's kind of backwards. GPUs get out dates in about a year, where as a good 22-26" LCD will give you about 3-5 years before a upgrade.



If I knew 6 months ago what I know now, I would have bought the better monitor. So I am looking to upgrade my monitor in a few months, and use my existing on my other computer, but it still maxes out at 1360 X 768
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2010 11:29:38 AM

Yep strongly suggest something matching or just slightly better than HD 5670 for now - tech moves so fast and GPUs get outdated really fast so upgrade GPU when/if u move into a bigger display ^^
m
0
l
!