Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stay with 2 5770s or buy a 5870

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Google
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 21, 2010 6:26:45 PM

I have been scratching my head for a couple weeks now, google, after google after google, I just don't know what to do. I want a fast video card. I can't tell what will give me better performance, the cards i have now x2 5770s or 1 5870 help me out if you have any websites that compare 2 5770s to a 5870 please let me know, thanks a lot.

More about : stay 5770s buy 5870

a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 6:29:49 PM

2 5770s is faster than a single 5870 so its no use to upgrade.
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 6:30:57 PM

You can give me one of those 5770's. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 7:20:12 PM

get the 5870 if you plan on crossfire in the future. also keep in mind that crossfiring 5870's will indeed result in bottlenecking if your cpu is a tadpole.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 7:32:35 PM

why not just keep those 5770s until hd6xxxx or gtx 5xx releases
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 7:50:58 PM

Ok so i think I'm gonna add a 5970 to the list of cards to compare, what card should i get a 5870 or a 5970
I't really seems ke this 5970 is a powerful son of a bitch
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 7:54:18 PM

Derbixrace said:
why not just keep those 5770s until hd6xxxx or gtx 5xx releases


When ATI 6xxx comes out, I'm guessing its gonna be in the 8 to 900 dollars range i don't think i could convince myself to spend that much money on something that cost less then a quarter of that to make
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 8:01:24 PM

shaffer317 said:
When ATI 6xxx comes out, I'm guessing its gonna be in the 8 to 900 dollars range i don't think i could convince myself to spend that much money on something that cost less then a quarter of that to make



Don't guess. Why on earth would it cost 8-900 dollars? Do you have anything at all to back that up? No, didn't think so.
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 8:07:36 PM

well i guess cobot thinks this is a talk *** to everyone forum, maybe you should look at ati's website and see how much they are predicting the cost of 6xxx series graphic cards, so yes i do have something to back this up
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 8:42:35 PM

nice
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 8:50:29 PM

Do you have these 5770's in a motherboard that does not at least support 8x 8x?
Whats your rig configuration ? There should be no reason , your not WoWed by 5770's in crossfire, unless there is a reason why they are not performing correctly .
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 9:46:43 PM

Again, you can give one to me. It will be more than welcome in my case.. :) 
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 10:02:53 PM

Hey I'll give you 5$ each for those 5770s.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2010 10:53:10 PM

shaffer317 said:
well i guess cobot thinks this is a talk *** to everyone forum, maybe you should look at ati's website and see how much they are predicting the cost of 6xxx series graphic cards, so yes i do have something to back this up



Don't make it worse. The OP came here to get advice, so make sure you know what you are talking about , otherwise you are not helping.

Now, if you can provide a link to that information on ATIs official website, then it's a different story.

But let me ask you this:
You mean that ATI are going completely change their strategy and only release very high-end cards that most people wont be able to afford? And what's more, they are going to price them 100-200 bucks higher than their current top performer, the 5970 - an already insanely expensive dual-GPU card?

Sounds like a brilliant business plan! Or on a second thought - maybe not....
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 11:01:49 PM

Step #1 Wait until FERMI comes out
Step #2 Wait for the price drops
Step #3 Buy 5870 for lowered price.
Step #4 Give me Both 5770s. :) 
m
0
l
March 21, 2010 11:51:44 PM

If you already have 2 5770's, then you have no reason to buy a 5870. Even with all the crossfire issues, you will have great performance in most games.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 12:51:22 AM

There's no reason at all to think ATI's next series will cost more than the current one. The video card market has several segments;
<$50 = non-gaming cards
$50-125 = low end gaming cards
$125-250 = mid-range cards
$250-500 = high end cards
$500-800 = I-have-too-much-money-and/or-bad-priorities cards
The next ATI series is extremely unlikely to change this.
m
0
l
March 22, 2010 12:56:34 AM

jyjjy said:
There's no reason at all to think ATI's next series will cost more than the current one. The video card market has several segments;
<$50 = non-gaming cards
$50-125 = low end gaming cards
$125-250 = mid-range cards
$250-500 = high end cards
$500-800 = I-have-too-much-money-and/or-bad-priorities cards
The next ATI series is extremely unlikely to change this.



haha. I like that chart.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 7:37:41 AM

Quote:
Buy an NVIDIA GTX 260 1GIG card that will blow away your crossfired cards of even a 5870. I would rather have a 4870x2! then your other cards.


What on Earth are you talking about?


http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/compare,1699.html?prod[3246]=on&prod[3250]=on&prod[3261]=on&prod[3202]=on

I repeat:

Please make sure you know what you are talking about before posting, the point of this forum is to help!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 7:55:50 AM

can a mod please ban ihol?

spreading ridiculously incorrect info, surely thats a banable offense?

now, @OP: a 5870 would not be much of an upgrade from your current crossfire setup (if any) and you don't really need to upgrade at all. if you really want to spend the money, then a 5970 would indeed be a worthy upgrade, but unless you play at extreme resolutions your current setup should at least hold you until the new generation of video cards, easily being able to max out anything for the next 8 months (unless we see another rig-killer like crysis)

for now, just enjoy the power at your disposal. start thinking about upgrades when there is something NEW to justify it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 10:10:38 AM

two 5770s is better than one 5870 so if you wanna upgrade wait for fermi or buy a 5970. but i would advise against upgrading because two 5770s is a powerful setup.

there you have it^^ someone close this thread, if OP wanna waste money then he can do it without our help.
m
0
l
March 22, 2010 6:12:55 PM

Derbixrace said:
two 5770s is better than one 5870 so if you wanna upgrade wait for fermi or buy a 5970. but i would advise against upgrading because two 5770s is a powerful setup.

there you have it^^ someone close this thread, if OP wanna waste money then he can do it without our help.


Uh, 2 5770s=5870.

And yes, The OP will waste 400$ for Zero performance gain by buying a 5870.
m
0
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 6:44:22 PM

Quote:
Buy an NVIDIA GTX 260 1GIG card that will blow away your crossfired cards of even a 5870.


Would you care to provide some evidence to back up that rather outlandish claim?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 7:09:58 PM

builderbobftw said:
Uh, 2 5770s=5870.

No they don't. They still have the 128-bit memory bus which limits minimum frame rates. Read the article coozie linked earlier.
m
0
l
March 22, 2010 8:05:57 PM

jyjjy said:
No they don't. They still have the 128-bit memory bus which limits minimum frame rates. Read the article coozie linked earlier.


I realy don't care about the memory bus, In benchmarks the 5770CF ties the 5870.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-tes...

Here the 5770CF beast the 5870 by a margin, in other games the 5870 wins.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 8:11:21 PM

Well you should care about the memory bus. It's minimum frame rates that determine the smoothness of game play and if that's not the ultimate goal of a high end set up then what is?
You are also ignoring that the HD5850/70 OC an insane amount. I'd definitely take even an HD5850 over 2 HD5770s.
m
0
l
March 22, 2010 8:13:25 PM

The 5870 OC isn'y that much more impressive than a 5770 or a 4890 OC. (Percantage of Frames gained)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 8:29:31 PM

I agree that 2x5770 is as good, and often slightly better than the 5870. Yes they have a 128bit memory bus, but have you SEEN the OC's people are getting out of the memory on the 5770? higher even,I think, than many, if not most 5870's which really cuts down on the impact of the 128bit bus. It would be a waste to upgrade to a 5870 from 5770 Xfire because they're pretty similar performance. Its not worth $400 to get rid of a few little xfire glitches.
m
0
l
!