Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking i5 3570K discussion

Last response: in Overclocking
March 2, 2013 3:10:26 AM

Would like to ask a few questions and have a small discussion on overclocking the i5 3570k.
I have the 3750 installed on my AsRock z77- extreme 4 motherboard with a Noctua NH-D14 (air cooling).
Here are some screen shots of my overclock.

Settings:
LLC = 5
Offset = -0.015v
Multiplier = x44

This seems to be stable, i was just wondering if anyone things i should go any further?
The only thing im worried about is over volting the CPU as im not 100% sure of what the max voltage should be, iv herd its around 1.25?
IF you have a 3570k oc please share your settings.
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
March 2, 2013 7:24:03 AM

Hi,

You could quite easily overclock more as your temps are good and so is your voltage.

From what I've read ~1.35V seems to be the max safe voltage for 24/7 use.

Obviously you have to decide whether you want more speed or if you're quite happy with 4.4Ghz.
March 3, 2013 6:00:43 PM

I would also check your temps using RealTemp. Often times I find that it reports temps much closer to the actual (HWMonitor is generally ~4-5 degrees cooler). The number reported is much less important than the actual temperature you are reaching under load. :) 

Looks like you got a pretty decent chip though. I got a little unlucky and I can't take mine a lick past 4.4 or I get temps way too high (90+). Strangest thing though I can drop the voltage nearly .04V and still keep it stable @ 4.4
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 6:52:11 PM

Man I gotta tell you those temps look great. That cooler really must be one of the best. Either that or since your voltage is so low your getting good temps. Either way you must have a pretty good chip. But once you pass up 4.5Ghz it starts to require a lot more voltage.

Personally I have to use 1.295 for 4.5Ghz, 1.335 for 4.6Ghz, 1.370 for 4.7Ghz, and 1.415 for 4.8Ghz. I could probably use a little less V core but I prefer my chip to be completely stable. And I find that I have a slightly above average chip. I think my chips a good over clocker because it can achieve high overclocks but it's average on the amount of voltage it needs. A lot of peoples chips won't go past 4.4-4.5Ghz.

Just to be safe, at the moment I'm only at 4.6Ghz w/1.335 Vcore. Mainly to stay below that 1.35 volt barrier. Although I've had a 4.7 and 4.8Ghz overclock with this same 3570k for months at a time and I've never had any problems. But I've been leaving my PC on 24/7 so I think dropping it to 1.335 volts will help out in the longer run.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 7:00:30 PM

Let me recommend this to you if you really want to see what your highest temps are. Try using Intel Burn In Test. A lot of the time I'll pass the prime95 test but IBT will make me BSOD. That's one good reason to test with IBT. And IBT gives you 10-15c higher temps. So IBT really shows you what your max temps will be. To me, in order to find out how hot your CPU might get, you have to test with IBT because otherwise if your already on the edge with prime95 temps, one day you might use a program that pushes you past that, and you may burn your chip out or something.

When I 1st overclocked my CPU to 4.8Ghz. I thought I was running cool at 85C in prime95. But quickly learned that wasn't the case. As right when I ran IBT my temps jumped from 85c to 103c! Wow. And I had been running that overclock for a good few weeks too. So from there I lowered it to 4.7Ghz and now 4.6Ghz. And in IBT I'm now running only about 87c. Which is safe because I'll never come close to that during normal use. So yeah. RUN IBT. At 4.6Ghz during prime95 I barely even touch 75c.
!