Is something fried on my motherboard?

Adam_M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
I have a computer it worked fine, turned it off. go to turn on next day and the monitor wont come on, stays on stand by. I reseated the video card, and ram. tried video card in diffrent computer(works fine). Monitor works fine. i doesnt throw any beep codes either. computer seems to boot up fine. ( I have a temp gauge on front of computer for HD and CPU both start to get warm so seems to be working but no video coming out. Or could it be that my video card is PCI-E and my motherboard says PCI-E x16. would make a differance? if some one has any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

(Case) Apevia X-Q pack 2.
(MB) A740GM-M
(Vid card) Pny Tech. Ge force 7300 GT ddr2 256mb PCI-E
(HD) Maxtor 320gb
(ram) 1gb ddr2

If your motherboard has onboard video, a dead CMOS battery can indeed cause the video card to stop working -- the motherboard will default back to factory settings, which means onboard video and not the card.

It does seem your motherboard has onboard, and it's old enough that the battery could have died, so it's worth investigating. Easiest way to do so is plug the monitor into the onboard VGA port and see if you get a signal. If yes, and if the system clock has also reset itself to something like Jan. 1, 2006, you can be 100% sure you have a dead CMOS battery.

I also notice you have an Elitegroup motherboard, to which all I can say is ... those things can be a REAL bitch to get a video card working again if the board doesn't recognize it. Most board have a pretty obvious option to disable the onboard graphics so you can use a standalone card, but Elitegroup doesn't. Instead, they have some janky auto-detect function that usually doesn't work, so even when you're doing things exactly the right way for 99% of other motherboards, you're left pulling your hair out trying to get an Elitegroup board to recognize the card. Often some combination of removing or inserting the card, doing a CMOS clear, and then trying to boot will get it to recognize the card. Often times it won't, and it'll take some other other inane trick that there's no reason why it should work. Good luck, is all I will tell you.