Sign in with
Your question

P55-GD80 system temps go too high - why?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 20, 2010 10:16:22 PM

While updating my BIOS to V1.10 08/20/2010, miscellaneous hardware drivers, and software on the P55-GD80 MS-7581 main board, I noticed a bunch of strange stuff even with all the newest updates;

1.0 The supplied software for temps is really, really, inaccurate. The over-clocking center software and the control center software show the “system” temperature as much as 20C-30C different from one another, the CPU temp is within maybe 5C which isn’t as bad.

2.0 For example my i5-750 CPU runs around 50C with a hyper 212 cooler with prime 95, but the “system” temp is either 56C (over clock center or 27C (control center). What is the “system” monitor really looking at? With the massive heat pipe logic chipset cooler, it’s hard to believe chipset system temps would be too high. WHAT exactly IS “SYSTEM TEMPERTURE” measuring? Is the thermocouple at the CMX4GX3M2A11600C9 1600 memory sticks? The P55 chipset?

3.0 The over clocking center seems pretty dumb;
3.1 It keeps sounding and alarm for fan sockets with nothing plugged into them.
3.2 This software sure wasn’t designed by a twenty year old program genius, a good deal of the functions wander off the right side of the software screen or are covered-up by other functions…nice, making it frustrating to say the least.
3.3 The voltage readings are WAY off. 12 volts are 9.125 volts? No, I checked. Twelve volts it is at the Corsair HX750-watt power supply leads to the main 12-volt rail.

Is anyone else seeing these issues? What software are you using for temp and voltage monitoring (I can’t use the ones supplied) with W7 64-bit?

The Over clock Genie is also pretty dangerous. Do I like it, no, does it work, yes, safely, no. It keeps putting WAY too much voltage on my CPU for my liking (1.48-volts on the core!). I’d really watch your BIOS settings after using the genie function, it should NEVER over volt over max recommended spec for a “novice” over clocker. Red zone voltage settings should be left for manual mode only. Genie disables the EIST (it thinks it is better than EIST / turbo boost) in the drill down CPU features menu, locking you out of a bunch of voltage setting options that are out of whack. You have to go into the BIOS CPU feature menu and re-enable EIST and THEN, in the main CELL function page, keep turbo boost enabled or disabled. This also allows ALL the voltages to be set manually to safe limits (I used 1.25 CPU core). I don’t like the idea of running the CPU to death and forcing a 3.8GHz, or higher, permanent over clock. I use 3.2 GHz (160 MHz x 20 ratio) setting with the EIST / turbo boost enabled. This lets the CPU, and fans ETC throttle down on light loads and still have enough headroom for the speed step turbo boost to not over clock when that’s needed. True, the speed step is only good for one core, where a big honking over clock with EIST disabled over clocks all four cores, not just one.

But alas, my i5-750 clocks down based on CPU-ID from 160 x 21 to as low as 160 x 10 once it gets going awhile on all four cores even though it shows it is plenty cool (~55C) between the two programs. But, the "system" temps are killing me. They rocket off the chart (75C and higher) in minutes if even that long triggering a system shut down. But, I have no “usage” shut downs or issues playing Crysis, Far Cry 2 or Fallout3, for example. The CPU is working hard, too as I play at 1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1024 (I kept my Sony / DELL P992 CRT…I love it) with a Nvidia GTX-260.

I have corsair CMX4GX3M2A11600C9 1600 memory, but I left the enable extreme SPDF (XMP) disabled (enabled it forces 800MHz / 1600 speed) so it runs at 666MHz / 1333MHz. I just don’t see any speed advantage to pushing the memory above 1333. My timings 9-9-9-24-74 1T are probably too slow (My memory sticks are maybe too generic?). Faster timings seem to do more than clock speed, though. So, I may need better-COOLED memory sticks? I’ve just never seen “system” temps limit the over clock before this, ever.

Thanks for the read you guys and gals.
December 24, 2010 11:30:57 PM

I would have to reboot, but I think I am running that version (1.10). Have been since Sept when I found it.

Perhaps redownloading and reflashing might just fix it. A marginal corruption could have caused this.
m
l
December 25, 2010 2:12:25 AM

Well, I figued it out. When I first got the PC going, I used the overclock Genie to set the PC to optimal performance. And yes, I dodn't check what it did, exactly. My bad there. But, the MSI GENIE program applied 1.48-volts to the CPU core! So, it fried my CPU and also explained why it was booting randomly. It runs fine at low loads, but gets hot super fast with any work applied, up to 95C cores with a properly working program (CPUID HWmonitor).

When I used CPUID HWmonitor, I found the HUGE CPU-core voltage and yes, the stupid program applied this way out of safe CPU spec voltage and never said a thing. Also, the MSI monitor software is a mess. It doesn't read the voltages right, or the board thermocouples are bad.

I replaced the i5-750 with a i7-870 (same price as the old CPU, now) and everything looks good after I disabled the GENIE program and set it up myself (stock settings). Yes, I was stupid to not look at the BIOS, but I "thought" that the so called GENIE program gave a safe general overclock. The 3.2GHz value seemed, well, reasonable...but with 1.48-volts on the core? YIKES! That's what I didn't check.

The 12-volts is fine even though it report 9-volts. I measured the Corsair supply under load and it's dead at 12-volts. The i7-870 runs at ~60C and the system temps are ~70C. This seems reasonable. A bonus, is the memory runs at ~800MHz (1600 speed) with the i7-870, too. So crappy software and a stupid user are to blame. I'm not thrilled with MSI pushing this so called "safe" program onto novice users. I thought novice meant safe, and let it do it's thing and it screwed the pooch.
m
l
!