RAM Voltage/Timings Compatibility Question

Silenthunter1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hey guys so I am building a new computer and need some help with my RAM. I bought this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145299

and this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

I see that the timings and the voltages are different(First one being 8-8-8-24 at 1.65V and the other being 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v), which I didn't notice when I was buying them.

They are going to arrive at my house tomorrow and I just wanted to know if there is anyway I could make these two sets work together without damaging the sticks or my motherboard over time.

Any and all help is very much appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
Welcome, Newcomer. Generally it is always recommended to buy your RAM in kits, this ensures compatability within the kit. This is especially true when building a new system. However, mixing RAM can be done.

What you want to focus first is the voltage. 1.5 and 1.65 is a pretty large gap, in terms of RAM voltage. Your CL9 stick(s) recommend 1.5V to use their specified timing. This may pose a problem for you because your CL8 stick(s) recommend 1.65V. The problem is that if the CL9 can't operate at 1.65V, you'll have to try to get the CL8 sticks to operate at 1.5V, or somewhere in between where the two happily agree on.

The next thing you'll need to work on is the timing. Start by manually configuring your BIOS to 9-9-9-24...
Welcome, Newcomer. Generally it is always recommended to buy your RAM in kits, this ensures compatability within the kit. This is especially true when building a new system. However, mixing RAM can be done.

What you want to focus first is the voltage. 1.5 and 1.65 is a pretty large gap, in terms of RAM voltage. Your CL9 stick(s) recommend 1.5V to use their specified timing. This may pose a problem for you because your CL8 stick(s) recommend 1.65V. The problem is that if the CL9 can't operate at 1.65V, you'll have to try to get the CL8 sticks to operate at 1.5V, or somewhere in between where the two happily agree on.

The next thing you'll need to work on is the timing. Start by manually configuring your BIOS to 9-9-9-24. Then F10 to save and exit. Load Windows and monitor for stability. To aid in this venture, download and install Prime95. This software will put 100% load on your CPU while testing your RAM simulatenously. Note that this test is for stability, not to determine where (if any) errors in your RAM are.

Solution

Silenthunter1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for the fast answer, I was getting worried when I noticed this since its the first PC I have ever made. I think I will be able to handle this memory issue, I will do what you said and see what happens. If all doesn't run smoothly I will probably just send it back and get the same type of memory. 4GB of DDR3 2 1333mhz will run a Core i5 760 and Radeon 5850 good until I get the other 8GB back from Newegg.