CPU and GPUs

Hi every one! some info please.... i just ordered a amd 940 be... i have been using a 9850 be, it did really good on most games using M3N72-D ASUS mobo and 2 9800 GTXs + supper clock in SLI...... i was told that the 9850 would bottleneck the 2 9800 gtx in sli.... it did not as i could see, i over clocked it to 3.0 ghz from 2.5..... but its my hopes that the amd 940 will do even better? i also just got a new hard drive to go RAID 0.... YEA!!


link www.tomshardware.com/forum/265033-33-info-needed-bottleneck


OLD SETUP

Mobo is a ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli

AMD 9850 quad core 2.5 CPU, 125 watts , not OC yet.

1 LG 22" LCD 10,000 to 1. 2 ms

COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2 s

2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs…. Takes 1-6 pin per card.... ( got them both 4 under 200.00 NEW YEA )
core clock 756 shader clock 1836 memory clock 1123

Cooler Master PSU 750W real power

1 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS


MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066

ANTEC 300 CASE

____________________________________________________________

SOON TO BE NEW SETUP

Mobo is a ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli

AMD 940 quad core 3.0 CPU, 125 watts , not OC.

1 LG 22" LCD 10,000 to 1. 2 ms

COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2 s

2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs…. Takes 1-6 pin per card....
( got them both 4 under 200.00 NEW YEA )
core clock 756 shader clock 1836 memory clock 1123

Cooler Master PSU 750W real power

2 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS ( IN RAID 0 )

MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066

ANTEC 300 CASE GOOD COOLING LOVE IT....

So i am asking with the new adds will my 2 9800s bottle neck the new amd 940..... and with the two HDs in RAID 0 will i see a faster gaming rig?????

thank you for any help and info
15 answers Last reply
More about gpus
  1. 1). No.

    2.) No. (Not in FPS)
  2. 1)definilty not you might see some performance increases as your cpu might have still been bottlenecking a little,
    2)load times will be quicker but that's about it hdd performance isn't that much of an issue for games
  3. builderbobftw said:
    1). No.

    2.) No. (Not in FPS)


    i see i get really good fps with FEAR 2 and RANBOW SIX VEGAS 2, COD4 AND 5, 60 fps with all settings maxed out.. now with CRISIS 2, the 9850 be plays really good and then it dose not. it locks up in game play, gets real jumpy... 24 fps on the low side 45 on the hi side, but most of the time its in the hi 30s... on hi settings... i hop the new 940 cpu will help?
  4. jonnyboyC said:
    1)definilty not you might see some performance increases as your cpu might have still been bottlenecking a little,
    2)load times will be quicker but that's about it hdd performance isn't that much of an issue for games



    so the 940 is not much better then the 9850? i did over clock the 9850 be to 3.0 ghz. pushed the multiplier to 14.5 and 3% on the front fsb.... from what i have read the 940 is a better over clocker.... any in put?
  5. jonnyboyC said:
    1)definilty not you might see some performance increases as your cpu might have still been bottlenecking a little,
    2)load times will be quicker but that's about it hdd performance isn't that much of an issue for games

    one more thing i love your setup the mobo kicks ass..... 3 way SLI... hell yea
  6. towhog66 said:
    i see i get really good fps with FEAR 2 and RANBOW SIX VEGAS 2, COD4 AND 5, 60 fps with all settings maxed out.. now with CRISIS 2, the 9850 be plays really good and then it dose not. it locks up in game play, gets real jumpy... 24 fps on the low side 45 on the hi side, but most of the time its in the hi 30s... on hi settings... i hop the new 940 cpu will help?


    FEAR 2, R6V, CoD4 & 5 aren't very intensive, so even though the 9850 is just OK for a CPU it won't show it.
    There is no Crysis 2 yet, I am guessing you mean Crysis: Warhead? Anyway, Crysis is about 6 times more graphically intensive then all the games you mentioned.

    The 9850 even at 3GHz is definitely bottlenecking the 9800GTX's in SLI. The Phenom II X4 940 is untouchable compared to a 9850.


    towhog66 said:
    so the 940 is not much better then the 9850? i did over clock the 9850 be to 3.0 ghz. pushed the multiplier to 14.5 and 3% on the front fsb.... from what i have read the 940 is a better over clocker.... any in put?


    The Phenom II X4 940 is MUCH better than a 9850, they can reach 4.5 GHz with the same difficultly and luck as overclocking a Phenom X4 9850 to 3GHz.
  7. sabot00 said:
    FEAR 2, R6V, CoD4 & 5 aren't very intensive, so even though the 9850 is just OK for a CPU it won't show it.
    There is no Crysis 2 yet, I am guessing you mean Crysis: Warhead? Anyway, Crysis is about 6 times more graphically intensive then all the games you mentioned.

    The 9850 even at 3GHz is definitely bottlenecking the 9800GTX's in SLI. The Phenom II X4 940 is untouchable compared to a 9850.
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amdphenomii_010709132536/17985.png


    The Phenom II X4 940 is MUCH better than a 9850, they can reach 4.5 GHz with the same difficultly and luck as overclocking a Phenom X4 9850 to 3GHz.


    OPS yea that was what i was trying to say Warhead lol...... thank you for your info...... i got the 940 new for 130.00$ i think that is a good buy... i got the 9850 for about 85.00$ out of box about a yr a go..... i would go with a am3 but i have not found any mobos i like that has sli..... at the right cost any ways... i do like the new 955 be @ 156.00$ new 3.2 ghz
  8. towhog66 said:
    i see i get really good fps with FEAR 2 and RANBOW SIX VEGAS 2, COD4 AND 5, 60 fps with all settings maxed out.. now with CRISIS 2, the 9850 be plays really good and then it dose not. it locks up in game play, gets real jumpy... 24 fps on the low side 45 on the hi side, but most of the time its in the hi 30s... on hi settings... i hop the new 940 cpu will help?


    The main thing affecting performance is the CPU, unless you have a very,very fast GPU and very,very slow CPU, you shouldn't see the CPU being a bottleneck.

    Example : 5970 Quadfire and a Intel 286 (1980's) CPU.

    /Exaggeration

    That's a CPU bottleneck right there.

    Only a few games show improvement from CPU to CPU with the same GPU, and you don't own those select few ( Flight simulator, GTA IV), so they don't count in the current discussion.

    Some people try to make benmark's where the CPU is a facror by playing on "Low" or "Mainstream" settings, and low resoultions, but for real gameplay the CPU is not a huge factor.
  9. builderbobftw said:
    The main thing affecting performance is the CPU, unless you have a very,very fast GPU and very,very slow CPU, you shouldn't see the CPU being a bottleneck.

    Example : 5970 Quadfire and a Intel 286 (1980's) CPU.

    /Exaggeration

    That's a CPU bottleneck right there.

    Only a few games show improvement from CPU to CPU with the same GPU, and you don't own those select few ( Flight simulator, GTA IV), so they don't count in the current discussion.

    Some people try to make benmark's where the CPU is a facror by playing on "Low" or "Mainstream" settings, and low resoultions, but for real gameplay the CPU is not a huge factor.


    Even a E8600 stock or oc'd to 4GHz would bottleneck the 5970 Quadfire, unless playing at 3 x 1920x1200 or higher, for the 5970 Quad CF you would at least want a i7-920 OC'd to 3.6 GHz or so.
  10. Exactly, a 300$-200$ CPU doesn't bottleneck a 1400$ GPU setup.
  11. so my set up is good to go? balanced is what i am looking for.... i dont want GPU in sli to be the battle neck, and i dont want a cpu to be the battle neck.... i am thinking about getting better v-card too.... just have not found any i like as much as the 9800 gtx' + SC.... i paid only 80.00$ each new lol...... ( i love this damn cards ) lol
  12. There's always going to be a bottleneck, if the CPU isn't then the GPU is (what you want).
  13. sabot00 said:
    There's always going to be a bottleneck, if the CPU isn't then the GPU is (what you want).


    i see now lol that sucks..... ok then witch one do i want to be the battle neck CPU OR GPU, or is it because of SLI..... NOW I AM BE SICK WITH IT...
  14. You want GPU bottleneck.
    Your system is pretty balanced, an unbalanced system will be like Tom's last SBM where they had a Dual-Core Pentium & 2 x 4870's.
  15. +1, You want GPU bottleneck cuase GPUs are more expensive ( 2 5970s=1400$, i7-930=300), so CPU bottleneck is easily cheaply fixed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia AMD Graphics