Sign in with
Your question

Fastest Consumer SSD?

Last response: in Storage
May 17, 2012 5:44:02 AM

What is the fastest consumer SSD? I heard it was something from OCZ's Vertex Series.

More about : fastest consumer ssd

May 17, 2012 5:57:33 AM

OCZ Z-drive R4 Series.

Max Read/Write speed 2800Mb/s.

These are hideously expensive.
m
l
May 17, 2012 6:12:13 AM

Lol, but that is an enterprise drive...
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 1:51:53 PM

get something with toggle nand. drives on Sata 6gb/s such as the mushkin chronos deluxe, vertex 3 max iops or patriot wildfire. the mushkin chronos deluxe is the cheapest and best bang for the buck.
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
May 17, 2012 8:36:01 PM

The answer to your question is it depends on what you do with your computer. Please give us some idea what you do with your pc.

m
l
May 18, 2012 4:05:44 AM

Heavy stuff and a lot of gaming?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 18, 2012 3:04:33 PM

Based on the drives I have used, the Intel 520 has been the best experience. I haven't had to do any firmware upgrades, it hasn't comflicted with any drivers and the read/write speeds are phenomenal.

If I had money to burn, I would make a RAID5+1 setup of 180GB Intel 520 SSDs - my motherboard has 6 SATAIII ports so theoretically I could have almost 3 gbps read/write speeds. Talk about living the dream...
m
l
May 18, 2012 3:33:49 PM

You arent going to see a notcieable real life difference between the absolute fastest and the middle of the road fastest for gaming. Anything with a 6gbs interface would be perfectly suited to your needs. Unless you like to benchmark and say you have the best of the best.
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:16:01 PM

po1nted said:
You arent going to see a notcieable real life difference between the absolute fastest and the middle of the road fastest for gaming. Anything with a 6gbs interface would be perfectly suited to your needs. Unless you like to benchmark and say you have the best of the best.

Pretty much this.

What's really funny is the Rift benchmarks that Tom's did I found to be completely misleading. I specifically got a Vertex 3 64GB for either Boot+a Few games or SRT. My zone load times between just using a straight up mechanical drive vs the SSD were only the difference between about 10 seconds on the hard drive and 8 seconds on the SSD. I ended up just not bothering with the whole SSD and just threw it on as an SRT setup (which actually seems to work just as well as just on the SSD... I'm sure it's not quiet as fast, and if you have some type of screen recording could probably measure the difference if you really tried).

Keep in mind they used a completely non-optimized 5400RPM drive, in the slowest setup they could possibly manage to do those benchmarks. I keep my drive organized with Ultimate Defrag, and am using a regular desktop (1TB 7200RPM, 64MB cache) drive that you would find in any normal gaming machine setup.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
May 18, 2012 5:55:18 PM

You may read about glowing benchmarks for the newest SSD's.
The sequential benchmarks drive the SSD to it's maximum with programs that issue I/O operations
at a much faster rate than an application can, and does so at high queue levels. 6gb sata looks great.
But, a normal desktop user rarely does anything remotely like that.

The second type of benchmark measures maximum IOPS which will be done at high queue levels again. Think >30.
That is also not what we do. The OS does mostly small random I/O, and at smallish queue lengths.
It is the response time that matters most.

It turns out that at low queue lengths, Most SSD's have the same response time, and they are very low.
That is exactly what you want from a SSD, particularly for the OS.

So, what does this mean when buying a SSD?

Buy the capacity you need from a vendor you trust.
Today, I think Intel and Samsung seem to be the most issue free.
Also, buy enough capacity so that you will have sufficient free space to maintain performance.
Have perhaps only 75% maximum usage.
m
l
May 19, 2012 12:43:21 AM

Okay... I was only looking for drives with the highest IOPSs and speeds.
m
l
May 19, 2012 12:45:05 AM

geofelt said:

Buy the capacity you need from a vendor you trust.
Today, I think Intel and Samsung seem to be the most issue free.
Have perhaps only 75% maximum usage.

Corsair? Mushkin?
m
l
!